• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What type of bunny is Rio

Harlequin dwarf lop? Sorry, that's just a guess.

Actually, ahng on, Harlequin buns are sort of tri colour. Ignore me... :oops::oops:

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you my bf got him from pets at home and they said that he was a dwarf lop gave him a bag of food but there was no guide on there for dwarf lops. So I just trying to find out what type he is so I know how much to feed him if that makes sense also they said he was 13/14 weeks what do you think

Thank you my bf got him from pets at home and they said that he was a dwarf lop gave him a bag of food but there was no guide on there for dwarf lops. So I just trying to find out what type he is so I know how much to feed him if that makes sense also they said he was 13/14 weeks what do you think

About an eggcupful a day is fine for a bun of his size. Make sure you suppliment this with a lttle fresh veg though, and of course, unlimited hay. Is the P@H food mix or pellets? Pellts are best so he can't pick out the yummy bits and leave the healthy stuff. It's also a good idea to scatter his food around his enclosure rather than giving it to him in a bowl, as it allows him to mimic natural foraging behaviour.

Last edited:
It's pellets and I make sure he has lots of hay
Sorry if I ask loads of questions Rio is my first bunny and I want to make sure I give him all he needs and more :)

Last edited:
Colour is tortoiseshell (although it's usually called sooty fawn in lop breeds)

Breed most likely a lop cross, or pet bred dwarf lop

About an eggcupful a day is fine for a bun of his size. Make sure you suppliment this with a lttle fresh veg though, and of course, unlimited hay. Is the P@H food mix or pellets? Pellts are best so he can't pick out the yummy bits and leave the healthy stuff. It's also a good idea to scatter his food around his enclosure rather than giving it to him in a bowl, as it allows him to mimic natural foraging behaviour.
The guy in p@h seed to give him about 70-90g but he seems hungry still

If he has limitless hay, and he doesn't have any health issues preventing him from eating it, there's no reason for him to be hungry. How long have you had him? A healthy young bunny shouldn't just sit in his hutch all day, so it worries me that you say he does. Has he had his vaccinations yet? It might be that he's missing the companionship of other buns. Rabbits are social animals who would normally live in large groups, so they're happiest with a companion or 2 of their own kind. Are you planning on getting him neutered and adopting a friend for him?

Last edited:

The guy at P@H wants you to spend more money! ;)

But seriously, ignore P@H and ask on here instead, I learnt that the hard way. It is a pretty steep learning curve when you realise everything they told you wasnt quite right, but stick at it and you'll give your bunny a lovely life.

Have a look at these articles in the Care Reference Section on here to start with:
on hay.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=68603
on vaccination.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=52031
on neutering.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51537
and here is a leaflet on housing by RWAF, they have many more too. This one is easier if you read the second page first, as its in leaflet form, or print it out: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/SECS130807.pdf

As for pellets, think of the rabbits as children, the pellets as sweets and the hay as vegetables. Now given the choice the child will fill up on sweets all day, and always acts starving and is excited when sweets are around, but as parents we know that we must limit the sweets or they will fill up on them and not eat their vegetables.

As you know from the article above on hay, hay is the most important part of a rabbits diet and should make up at least 80% of it, so in order to get them to eat their hay we must limit their pellets.

As for your bunny sitting in his hutch all day, does he have a run? If not you could get one, preferably one you can attach to the front of the hutch, to give him space to run and play :) If he is bored then things like a box or his carrier to hide in, a childrens stool to jump on top of and a tunnel to play in are all ideas you could use to enrich his environment and make it more interesting for him. (Remember to ask on here for run reccommendations if you dont already have one, the P@H ones tend to be small and overpriced!)

And I am going to end this by saying that you dont need to feel bad or embarassed about asking for advice, it is to be expected from a new owner! Anything you're wondering about, just ask :)

He has his own space 6 ft by 6.11 ft and then he has his hutch which he is only locked in at night. I am not planning to get any more buns at the moment. I have had him for just over a week the first 4 days he would run around a lot but since I bought his new hutch he likes to sit in it most of the day until night when he comes out and jumps around.

Last edited:
That sounds quite normal. Rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk. At this time of year, by about 9-10.00 ish they will settle down for a nap, then become more active again in the late afternoon/evenings. I used to have a sooty fawn dwarf lop like Rio. He was called Neelix. :D

Good I hope it is normal I was starting to think he didn't like being here and thought I was doing something wrong. Oh and another thingni haven't tried to pick him up but a friend of mine who use to have rabbits said I should I'm not sure though

Last edited:
He has his own space 6 ft by 6.11 ft and then he has his hutch which he is only locked in at night. I am not planning to get any more buns at the moment. I have had him for just over a week the first 4 days he would run around a lot but since I bought his new hutch he likes to sit in it most of the day until night when he comes out and jumps around.

What size is his hutch? :)

Its a Dandelion Den Hutch from p@h h61 w155 d61 cm
And what is the best hay to buy from p@h as that is the nearest pet shop to me and I need to get some more as the one my bf got seems to have a lot of dust

Last edited:
Its a Dandelion Den Hutch from p@h h61 w155 d61 cm
And what is the best hay to buy from p@h as that is the nearest pet shop to me and I need to get some more as the one my bf got seems to have a lot of dust

This is the best they do, http://www.petsathome.com/shop/timothy-hay-1.8kg-by-alfalfa-king-36642
its Timothy hay, and made by a good brand.

The small bags of woodlands hay with the herbs are okay but not great, and they are small (look at weight) so it works out more expensive in the long run.

You've done well to get a 5ft hutch from P@H, its one of their larger ones, you're obviously already trying to do your best for him :) It's not quite the size the RWAF reccommend (6ft) so it might be an idea to ask if you can take it back and get the Orchard Manor http://www.petsathome.com/shop/orchard-manor-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16038 which is the only 6ft they do I think. I'm just thinking if they let you return this hutch you'll get some money towards the 6ft one, and you will most likely upgrade at some point anyway after spending some time on here, especially as most rescues would like you to have a 6ft hutch before rehoming to you (if you decide to get him a friend in the future).

If you want to keep your current hutch its not a disaster. Is the space that you say he has a secure run? We can help you make the space fox-proof and then you wouldnt have to shut him in at night, allowing him to exercise when he is most naturally active (dawn, dusk and nighttime). If you can do this and let him have access to the space 24/7 then I personally dont think the size of your hutch is an issue.

Oh and I wanted to add, dont stock up too much on P@H hay, as you can get much better quality hay from these sites:

www.hayforpets.co.uk
www.thehayexperts.co.uk

or if you can source baled hay (and have somewhere to store it!) then that is the cheapest good-quality option.

Once you have some good quality hay you should see the amount your rabbit eats of it increase, which will mean hes less hungry but will also have a healthier digestive system and will be less likely to develop dental and other health problems. He'll also be less bored.

When my bunny was on P@H hay he only ate maybe half a small handful a day, now he eats a pile bigger than himself (and he is about twice the size of your bunny).

There are lots of different types of hay to get, meadow hay is the 'normal' hay. You can find out which types your bunny likes by trying him with a sample pack like this: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%2526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Sample+Pack.23/

This is the best they do, http://www.petsathome.com/shop/timot...lfa-king-36642
its Timothy hay, and made by a good brand.

The small bags of woodlands hay with the herbs are okay but not great, and they are small (look at weight) so it works out more expensive in the long run.

You've done well to get a 5ft hutch from P@H, its one of their larger ones, you're obviously already trying to do your best for him It's not quite the size the RWAF reccommend (6ft) so it might be an idea to ask if you can take it back and get the Orchard Manor http://www.petsathome.com/shop/orcha...-at-home-16038 which is the only 6ft they do I think. I'm just thinking if they let you return this hutch you'll get some money towards the 6ft one, and you will most likely upgrade at some point anyway after spending some time on here, especially as most rescues would like you to have a 6ft hutch before rehoming to you (if you decide to get him a friend in the future).

If you want to keep your current hutch its not a disaster. Is the space that you say he has a secure run? We can help you make the space fox-proof and then you wouldnt have to shut him in at night, allowing him to exercise when he is most naturally active (dawn, dusk and nighttime). If you can do this and let him have access to the space 24/7 then I personally dont think the size of your hutch is an issue.

Sorry to hyjack the thread but can I just say what a lovely post. It is so polite and says everything it needed to in such a friendly manner. :D

Back