• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

growing herbs and grass etc.. attempt 2! *any gardeners out there! a question!*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
well last year i managed to get the coriander, basil and parsley growing but after a few weeks it sadly passed away :(

i have just bought lots of seeds - coriander, parsley, basil, thyme and some seeds from rabbit nutition, i got dandelion, timothy grass, clover and the grazing mix.

i've potted the herbs inside and the grazing mix outside in a tub. i used moist compost though outside and now i don't know if i should have done that :? ah well..! :lol:

so hopefully this time i will have more luck!

has anyone grown the grazing mix and do the bunnies like it? any pics would be good aswell :D

Last edited:
well last year i managed to get the coriander, basil and parsley growing but after a few weeks it sadly passed away :(

i have just bought lots of seeds - coriander, parsley, basil, thyme and some seeds from rabbit nutition, i got dandelion, timothy grass, clover and the grazing mix.

i've potted the herbs inside and the grazing mix outside in a tub. i used moist compost though outside and now i don't know if i should have done that :? ah well..! :lol:

so hopefully this time i will have more luck!

has anyone grown the grazing mix and do the bunnies like it? any pics would be good aswell :D

Good luck! I tried that last year. Result = Failiure! RIP home grown bunny treats. :(

I grow all sorts of herbs and the mixed grazing stuff. The buns love it all. Just chuck the seeds in a pot with compost, water and bobs your uncle, though the coriander didn't do too well last year and my rosemary hasn't taken this year but I just put it down to rubbish seeds :lol:

I bought a small wooden 'greenhouse' last year which I normally keep some of them in.

I have a big rosemary bush growing in my front garden if I knew people would make use of the cuttings I took (it was taking up loads of room on my path) I would of offered it. I didn't know rabbits liked it :?

I'm growing Kale, carrots, coriander, parsley, mint, and flowers this year, they are doing well in my little greenhouse. :) Dandelions aren't doing so well :(

yay, the thyme and basil has started growing already. :) nothing from the coriander and parsley yet though. they're on the window sill in the bedroom for now and then i will be moving them to bigger pots outside when they have grown some more.

i planted the grazing mix outside in a tub but that hasn't grown at all yet.

i usually get to three weeks with everything and then it gives up. but i have high hopes this time! :roll::lol:

yay, the thyme and basil has started growing already. :) nothing from the coriander and parsley yet though. they're on the window sill in the bedroom for now and then i will be moving them to bigger pots outside when they have grown some more.

i planted the grazing mix outside in a tub but that hasn't grown at all yet.

i usually get to three weeks with everything and then it gives up. but i have high hopes this time! :roll::lol:

Oooh good luck hun :wave: Im growing some herbs at the moment too, but I cheated and got them as small plants :oops:
I have Thyme, mint, basil and parsley. Theyve all grown quite abit considering Iv only had them a few days, but the Parsley seems to be struggling abit :?
I spoke to my auntie who is an avid gardener and she told me to water them, then leave them for a couple of days until they look like thy need a drink then water them again. She stressed that over watering was bad. But then yesterday I had a friend over who grows tons of veggies in his gardEn and he says to water them everyday :? CONFUSED!

I bought a corriander plant from Sainsburys yesterday and have put it into a bigger tub and into a sheltered area of the garden.

I'm not letting Louie near it until it's a lot bigger as he would eat the lot in one sitting!

I find Lemon Balm the easiest to grow. Louie has leaves off there everyday and it still keep growing :D

my grazing mix has started to grow :D things like that should be fairly easy though i'd imagine.

just planted some dandelions now aswell.

i have to try and move the thyme and basil outside now without killing them. :? maybe i should have planted them outside to start with :roll:

i also cheated and have bidded on a parsley plug plant on ebay (rabbit nutrition) and another plant which i can't remember the name of now. it's pink flowers though, does that help! :lol:

the grazing mix is fast growing :D
lots of yummies in there too but the big plus is.... they're all perennial
the next lot you sow (if indoors) sprinkle some seed onto moist - not wet -well drained soil and lightly cover with a thin layer of more soil, keep warm and slightly moist
i usually just throw mine into my lawn and grazing areas though at this time of year
good luck :wave: the seeds have a high success rate, glad it's come through for you

the grazing mix is fast growing :D
lots of yummies in there too but the big plus is.... they're all perennial
the next lot you sow (if indoors) sprinkle some seed onto moist - not wet -well drained soil and lightly cover with a thin layer of more soil, keep warm and slightly moist
i usually just throw mine into my lawn and grazing areas though at this time of year
good luck :wave: the seeds have a high success rate, glad it's come through for you

thanks for the tips :) i think i always over water :oops:

the grazing mix has quite a few little shoots now so i bet it grows alot from now, yay! :D

i've got some clover aswell but i need another pot first.

:)

question for gardeners

my little bedroom windowsill plants are doing well, except the parsley. i just tried to move the coriander from the small pot to a bigger pot but it wouldn't budge so i got mad and whacked it and then it all crumbled out :( ... i don't know how to get the little plant out without it all breaking apart. :oops: does anyone know??

my plug plants have arrived aswell so i planted those. :)

i bought peat free compost because i thought that meant it has no animal parts/manky stuff! but i read the packet and nearly threw up! ewwww! :mrgreen: so there goes my theory! :roll:

If I cant get a plant out of the pot I water it, all the compost loosens up and it slides out nicely. Never bash it, that doesnt end well :lol:

Ive tried alsorts and failed everytime. I cant even grow a weed. My dandelions never work. I have just orederd some chocolate mint to grow and other varieties to try as they sound good but I doubt they will.
I never managed to grow grass last year although I did get 1cm carrots:lol:
My ideas are great but they never work so good luck.
I want to know when you buy pot herbs from, asda how do you keep them growing? I read that you have to keep picking them now do you just pick the leaf or cut the stalk? and will they grow again and again.
I ask as mine seem to end up straggly dead rubbish by the end of the week so I buy them every week but wondered if they would grow good planted?

Ive tried alsorts and failed everytime. I cant even grow a weed. My dandelions never work. I have just orederd some chocolate mint to grow and other varieties to try as they sound good but I doubt they will.
I want to know when you buy pot herbs from, asda how do you keep them growing? I read that you have to keep picking them now do you just pick the leaf or cut the stalk? and will they grow again and again.
I ask as mine seem to end up straggly dead rubbish by the end of the week so I buy them every week but wondered if they would grow good planted?

i've tried the supermarket herbs but they don't re-grow. i spend a fortune every week on them! :shock:

congrats on your 1cm carrots though! :D;)

For repotting, put the finger of one hand (palm down) over the soil, letting the plant stems fit through your fingers. Turn in upside down and give the pot a squeeze so it flexes and tap the bottom. It should then fall out into your hand. If you have trouble poking the holes in the bottom with a stick/pencil can help break the seal.

If you end up with loads of loose compost and just a little bit of root in your hand, the plant probably didn't need repotting yet.

For repotting, put the finger of one hand (palm down) over the soil, letting the plant stems fit through your fingers. Turn in upside down and give the pot a squeeze so it flexes and tap the bottom. It should then fall out into your hand. If you have trouble poking the holes in the bottom with a stick/pencil can help break the seal.

If you end up with loads of loose compost and just a little bit of root in your hand, the plant probably didn't need repotting yet.

oops! this is what happened! :oops: i think i'll leave the others then and let them grow taller first.

You can always put a plastic bag over the top and elastic band them round the pot, it acts like a propragator, should speed things up a little. They just need to be kept moist and warm, so your windowsill is ideal.

Herbs grown for supermarket veg sections are often raised in environments with very high light, heat and moisture levels and won't live long in a domestic environment. They're not ideal if you want a long term plant, you'd be better either growing from seed or getting a plant from a garden centre.

You can sometimes succeed by unpotting the plant, separating out all the individual plants, and potting them up in bigger pots, so they have sufficient space. Usually when you buy "a plant" it's actually lots of separate small plants, squished into one pot. Mint and parsley are good candidates for trying to keep going.

[/B]

oops! this is what happened! :oops: i think i'll leave the others then and let them grow taller first.

Wait till you can see the roots coming out of the holes in the bottom of the pot - that's when it's ready for a bigger pot. Potting them on too soon can damage them.

Back