• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat bullying rabbit....worried and very annoyed.

zayna1

Warren Scout
My two rabbits free range in the garden, the smaller one of the two being a small 6 month old mini lop cross. My cat and the older rabbit (almost a year old) do tend to play chase each other-the rabbit does it only occasionally though, but seems to enjoy playing with him. Theres always someone watching them from the living room window....but since the smaller bun was neutered 2 weeks ago, (she has now fully recovered it seems) she is as full of beans as ever. But now the cat seems to be picking on her. He chases her, and he knows it's naughty, because he stops as soon as he sees me! Oh, and when i say chase, I don't mean trying to catch her, I mean kind of 'bouncing' after her. She doesn't seem to like it, so I chased my cat (yes he likes that lol its one of his 'games') and then she ended up chasing me, so i'm really confused!! I don't know if she's scared or not-she seems to change her mind. Im also worried that it's only been 2 weeks after her spay, and don't want her to feel she has to run....:S

Best thing to do, if you're seeing undesirable behaviour, is to keep them separate. Have your bunnies rebonded now?

Personally I don't think you should encourage your cat to play with rabbits, as they are a predator type animals and rabbits are a prey type.
The playing could go too far resulting in fatal injury or a scratch from a cat which if unnoticed could take the life of your rabbit.
:(

Please try to keep your cat away from your rabbit as even in play a cat can nip..cat bites are known to be full of bacteria and rabbits die from the poison cat bites/nips can create ..

I agree - and if they're not safe from a cat attack then they're not safe from a fox attack...and especially if they think an animal approaching them is going to "play", they might be even more at risk from other predators as they may not realise that they are in danger.

Best thing to do, if you're seeing undesirable behaviour, is to keep them separate. Have your bunnies rebonded now?

hmm yeah i'll have to keep them apart. :( but that would mean that they can't free range anymore, as the cat is allowed to go out during the day, and I can't stop him. So they're going to have to be in the run...:( oh, and yes they are re bonded now :) I put them back together a couple of days ago and it was immediately back to binkies and cuddles together. :roll:

Even a slight scratch is so dangerous for a bunny :( They have such delicate skin and can be easily scratched. If they got scratched on their eye or near their eye that could cause serious problems. Also, rabbits are prone to abscesses and cats have bacteria in their nails and mouth. Could you let the rabbits free range in a certain room and leave the door closed so the cat can't come in?

Back