• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should he even be vaccinated?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
berties a lot less snuffly...depocillin jabs worked wonders...the anti convulsant meds have been ok on his health so far.
The problem is i am facing a dilemma..yet again re vaccinations.
the vets have all said as hes still fighting his infections...pasturella and whatever is causing the seizures....the vaccinations will not be as effective due to his low immune system being so low always now.....not only that...but maybe it would be too much for his immune sytem to cope with.:(

he hasnt been outside yet this year...not even the cats have..due to ragwort probs....and vaccs needed boosters etc.
I have told all the vets that when he does go outside its really only to cool down in the heat as just goes to sleep outside....so yes myxi is a danger...but then so is lowering his immune system further:(

when our OAP kidney cat got worse...we were advised not to vaccinate her anymore because of the immune system not coping.

bunvets are a little loathe to say yay or nay..its because its so tricky.

can anyone share their story or know somebun in a simiar situation?

I chose not to vaccinate Badger in his final year. the vets said he was fit enough for it, but my gut instinct told me he wasn't, and the vets went with what I thought.

He used to go outside on nice days and I did that knowing the risks.

I made the choice for quality over quantity. I think had we vaccinated him he would have struggled far more than he did. I chose the risk of the illnesses because I felt the risk was worth it, and even if he was vaccinated against myxi, then he would never have been able to fight it if he caught it so would have been PTS anyway, at that point.

I know I made the right decision for him.

I looked at it this way, if I got him vaccinated and it went wrong, I couldn't change it. If I didn't vaccinate, then I could constantly reassess and if he got to a point where I thought he was stable and well, then he could have been- he never got there, but we still reassessed.

If you're not sure, then listen to yourself and trust your gut instinct. Sometimes owning rabbits is about knowing the rules (such as vaccinate your rabbits) and understanding when to break them (such as when a rabbit is too ill to be vaccinated and the vaccinations would be detrimental).

Vaccination requires a response from the immune system, if it's already bus it wouldn't work anyway. I would tend to go for minimising the risks of exposure instead eg treating cats for fleas regularly (which you probably do anyway), putting up some fly paper over his normal hang out spot, maybe popping fly netting/net curtain over is run to minimise flies when outside .. that sort of thing.

I agree with Tamsin, it probably wouldn't be effective and you run the risk of making his other health problems worse :?

i agree minimising risk would be a good idea especially treating the cats for fleas regularly :)

thank you. He doesnt go out in a run..hes a big snoozy old frenchie who kips where he pleases in our garden.

yes our cats have flea treatment..esp as we got a flea take home from another cat or dog in the vets waiting room!!:shock:

But i cannot control the neighbours cats if they have fleas..or dog fleas from next doors dog and cats who come up to the netted off garden and sit there for hours with bertie..they are fascinated by him.....and he doesnt bat an eyelid..

also vhd.....i am so trying to listen to my gut..its a hard descision......youre right i want to say no vaccs..but then all the years ive had buns vaccd..ive been conditioned only to say yes...like we all have.

badger certainly had a wonderful understanding owner hun.....and it must be so bad still for you missing him. So i really appreciate your sharing your experience re the vaccs. xx

thank you all..my gut says no...itll make him so poorly..the pasturella will flare up again...if its a pasturella abcess in his brain...thatll flare up and hed die having a seizure:(

i know frenchies life spans are technically much shorter than other buns...estimated at 3 to 5 years..heart problems usually kill them...like it did my willow just before her second birthday:(

so even tho hes had one problem after another...hes seven now....and we cannot imagine a time without him.....hes such a lovable old rogue....and such a character when hes norty. The epilepsy meds have made him even sleepier...bless him.
i really am torn..but youre right..gut instinct..always beats head and sensible thinking..

Trust yourself. If you don't trust your gut, you will regret it, if you trust it, then you know you made the right decision, whatever the outcome.

I had this dilemma with Sue and will be having it again soon when her myxi is next due.

My vet thought she could have her myxi when he came out to do some of the others but advised against the VHD. I went with what he said as Sue is an outdoor bun and one year all my outdoor buns caught myxi.

She was absolutely fine. If I had had to take her to the surgery I may have made a different decision as travelling and going to the vet stress her out so much.

karen hun....i never knew all your buns had it...you poor thing:(

how do we live with ourselves.......gut instinct..then if something goes wrong...we want to die ourselves from the guilt.

i think im a mess............

btw aunty karen...dylan says when are you coming back for him..hes been waiting;):lol:

I've been waiting for an invitation:) I know you had poorly fur babies to look after.

I will bring a bigger bag next time so that when Dylan crawls in, I can zip it up and catnap him. He is so scrummy.

It is incredibly difficult trying to decide whether to vaccinate a poorly bun or not. I asked Angie's opinion (as Sue is a BARC bun) and also discussed it with my vet. I think having nursed five buns through myxi decided me to risk having it done. Sue has lost a lot of weight since the last jab so I am not sure the vet will give her one this time. I will do whatever he recommends as I know I am not objective about it.

Back