• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bonding bible

Hi guys. Bonding wont actually begin for a good few weeks yet, but id like to be fully prepared. I think im going to make this my diary, if you like. Ill post all my quieries and questions prior to starting and update on progress as i go along.

I'll let you know when it all starts but id really apreciate it if you could check this thread occasionally incase ive added any questions. Hopefully it will become my bonding bible by the time im ready to crack on.

Also, if anyone else has any bonding questions, you can hijack this thread, i dont mind :wave:

MY PLAN:

It will be a M/F/F bond, Marley and Dolly who have been bonded for over a year and a female called Skye.

Once Syke has arrived, she will be indoors housed away from Marley and Dolly for 3 weeks minumum. She will be vet checked and vaccinated before i begin introductions. I plan on speed dating with Dolly and Skye withoug Marley in the hope that Dolly wont see her as much of a threat, ill do this for about a week. Now im not sure if i should add Marley to the mix during speed dating or if i should just jump straight in and get on with bonding in a pen. What do you think?

As Syke is only young and will be around 12 weeks when i start the bonding process, will her size compared to Marley and Dolly be a problem and should i put it off a little longer? Waiting until she is spayed is not an option, and it needs to be done before she reaches sexual maturity or not at all.

Also, is a 4x2 bonding pen too big for 3 nethies? What size do you reccomend?

I think the high risk of fighting means that bonding her is going to be very risky. Are you able to cope if they all divorce? Or if somebunny switches alliance to Skye and rejects the other bunny?

I wouldn't suggest bonding and separating your pair to do that because, depending on the pair, that in itself could cause problems.

Why does it need to be done before she reaches sexual maturity, or not at all?

I think the high risk of fighting means that bonding her is going to be very risky. Are you able to cope if they all divorce? Or if somebunny switches alliance to Skye and rejects the other bunny?

I wouldn't suggest bonding and separating your pair to do that because, depending on the pair, that in itself could cause problems.

Why does it need to be done before she reaches sexual maturity, or not at all?[/QUOTE]

Ill PM you :wave:

Really woudn't seperate to "speed date", somone I knew did thisand ended up wth 3 single buns. Better to add all 3into the mix.

Why does she have to be done before or not at all.

I bonded Florence when she was a baby to Dizzee then the two got bonded to m three. I really would get hr spayed whatever as if shes unspayed later on can cause problems in a bond esp with another female in it.

Really woudn't seperate to "speed date", somone I knew did thisand ended up wth 3 single buns. Better to add all 3into the mix.

Why does she have to be done before or not at all.

I bonded Florence when she was a baby to Dizzee then the two got bonded to m three. I really would get hr spayed whatever as if shes unspayed later on can cause problems in a bond esp with another female in it.

I will be getting her spayed when shes old enough, but her staying with me depends on wether she bonds as my parents dont want me to have a single bun (ive clearly taught them something! ;) )

Ill have to change my plans then, perhaps i should just try dating with all 3 before going for the bonding pen. I wont split them up if its not advised. I dont plan on leaving them unsupervised at all, and will be extremely careful, because she is only a baby.

I will be getting her spayed when shes old enough, but her staying with me depends on wether she bonds as my parents dont want me to have a single bun (ive clearly taught them something! ;) )

Ill have to change my plans then, perhaps i should just try dating with all 3 before going for the bonding pen. I wont split them up if its not advised. I dont plan on leaving them unsupervised at all, and will be extremely careful, because she is only a baby.

I think maybe this might be too risky because of the risks of your original pair separating, etc.

Agree with Sky-O

I had some terrible unbonding and fallings out with mine at some points (normally when one passed away the group pecking order resorting ended in fights/unbonding).
Blue & Honey my couple who have the clost bond actually fell out and unbonded and took me forever to bond them again.

I wouldnt take on to bond any bun if you cant have a single, mine were a nightmare at one point and had all 4 as singles I was tearing my hair out.

Yeah I personally wouldn't seperate M&D for "dates" with Skye in case on rejects the other afterwards.

Is there no way your parents will let Skye stay single till she's spayed?

This is obviously a risk, yes. My parents are happy for me to have Skye, they made the decision themselves and i didnt have to persuade them. Surely its a risk everyone takes when they bond a trio?

Im fairly confident my pair wont divorce. There is enough room for 3 single buns if it comes to that. But I will try a few times before giving up.

This is obviously a risk, yes. My parents are happy for me to have Skye, they made the decision themselves and i didnt have to persuade them. Surely its a risk everyone takes when they bond a trio?

Im fairly confident my pair wont divorce. There is enough room for 3 single buns if it comes to that. But I will try a few times before giving up.

I think so, but generally people have a back up plan and plan for all eventualities. However, if you've been told you can't have a single rabbit, then that doesn't quite plan for that eventuality (that all said, I get and understand what you've said in your PM).

I could help bonding if you struggled. Mine have gone well and I actually enjoy bonding :lol:

Yeah I personally wouldn't seperate M&D for "dates" with Skye in case on rejects the other afterwards.

Is there no way your parents will let Skye stay single till she's spayed?

Its not my parents that are the problem with her staying single, its the lady im getting her from. It depends on the bond working as to weather she stays with me. The breeder is happy to "wait and see" how it goes and is giving me as long as i need. But if i spayed her before bonding, im not sure the breeder would still want her.

...But can i jsut say to anyone else before all hell breaks loose that ive spent a while considering this lady and she really does care about her rabbits. Ive also been to have a look around a few times before making my decision. I have contact details of where shes got her "stock" and she knows the mothers and fathers history for 5 generations. We had the rescue debate the other day, for me, rescuing isnt an option, i did look into it though. Pet shops are obviously a no no!

Yeah, that's true.

I'm worried at being left with 3 singles later this month, but it's not so bad for me because mine are already 3 singles.

I hope that everything works out though:D

ETA: don't tell anyone on YT that's she's from a breeder, we spend the whole time preaching about rescues!:lol:

You might be lucky sophia, i was! i never split mine i just introduced them through separate runs next to eachother and then put them together but with a barrier in run then removed barrier. i literally only did it over a week and they havent had one fight with toby.

I could help bonding if you struggled. Mine have gone well and I actually enjoy bonding :lol:

It would be great to have some support Steph. At least having someone around to say no enough is enough or no we can give them a bit longer would be a huge comfort.

You wouldnt be able to stay here though, would you? x

It would be great to have some support Steph. At least having someone around to say no enough is enough or no we can give them a bit longer would be a huge comfort.

You wouldnt be able to stay here though, would you? x

Should be able to easily come up for a day and help, might even be able to scrounge lifts out of people :lol:

Should be able to easily come up for a day and help, might even be able to scrounge lifts out of people :lol:

:lol: Ill give you a shout closer to the time! :wave:

Ive had a long conversation with Sky-O, she raised some good points as always. Its worth having a conversation with my parents and Dawn, who im getting her off. Just to see if she would mind me spaying her. (NOTE: If she stays with me she WILL be spayed, but if the bond doesnt work, Dawn may want her back "intact")

I feel it is worth the risk though. One of my own buns as a singleton indoors wouldnt be too much of an issue, so if one takes to Skye and leaves the other out then thats not too much of a problem. Also if they all end up single then theres enough room in the playhouse to divide it up for 2.

:lol: Ill give you a shout closer to the time! :wave:

Ive had a long conversation with Sky-O, she raised some good points as always. Its worth having a conversation with my parents and Dawn, who im getting her off. Just to see if she would mind me spaying her. (NOTE: If she stays with me she WILL be spayed, but if the bond doesnt work, Dawn may want her back "intact")

I feel it is worth the risk though. One of my own buns as a singleton indoors wouldnt be too much of an issue, so if one takes to Skye and leaves the other out then thats not too much of a problem. Also if they all end up single then theres enough room in the playhouse to divide it up for 2 .

At least you have a back up plan:)

I think im going to take the risk, I'll have LOTS of time to keep an eye on them because ill have finished college by then (only a few weeks left! :D).

If anyone has any other concerns or questions regarding Skye and if im doing the right thing or not please PM me, just because i dont want the thread to start getting too difficult to read. :wave:

Question: Is it worth popping them into a carrier/small zoozone and taking them in the car before i put them in the pen?

I now cant decide if i should allow them to live in pens side by side for a week before starting bonding? Since dating isnt suggested.

Back