• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female rabbit pulling other female rabbit hair out

Hi all,

I am really worried about one of my bunnies. I have 3 bunnies 1 male (nutred) and two females.

One female is 9mnths old and the other is 3.

The 3mnth old (Butters) has lost a lot of fur arround her head and ears. I have used mite spot on treatment (monday).

I came downstaires today to find mum pulling at her fur and making a noise like they do when they eat.

I have seperated them now.

Am i over worrying and she was just cleaning her? or could this be Barbering?

Last edited:
Sounds as though the 9 month old Doe is having a pseudopregnancy.

Are you CERTAIN that the 3 month old is a Doe ?

When was your Buck neutered ?

Are you planning to get your Does spayed ?

Hey Jack's Jane,

Yeah, the 3 month old was due to mum and dad having a litter.

Dad was nutured 1 week before the baby rabbits where born. We had a litter of 4 and we kept 1.

The 3 month old is defiently a female, have had this confirmed with a vet.

The 3 month old does follow dad round alot, and gets cleaend by dad a lot, this is what lead me to barbering as mum maybe getting anoid with it. However, this is the 1st time ive ever seen her do this. But then 3 months is arround the age that they start to hit adulthood.

I wasnt planing to get mom spayed, do you suggest this?

Thanks

yes all females should be spayed its very important for their health as sadly 85% of unspeyed females get uterine cancer and die as usually by the time its detected it is too late as it has spread. :( also it means they are less likely to fight as females become very territorial once they hit puberty and they can have awful fights if they are neutered this stops any territorial and hormonal behaviour its sad as many bunnies can be fine for years then suddenly turn on each other when one feels particularly hormonal and after bad injurys it is very difficult to rebond.
How long after dad was neutered was he reintroduced to mum and baby? the only reason i ask is that males can be fertile after a neuter up to 6 weeks though most vets say after 4 weeks is usually safe. regarding the fur puling it sounds likely as jane has mentioned this is hormonal and or psydo pregnancy, as the girls are both not yet fixed. i hoep this helps.

until they have been neutered then i would give them bolt holes wihtin the area the 3 live so that they can escape each other if possible, or if they are already seperated then rebond in neutral territory after their spays. x

hi Bunlover

Dad was seperate from mum for 4 weeks after he was done, during this time mum gave birth to the kits.

Why would mum pull fur out of the 3mnth old female. She isn't nesting it.
She pulls at the 3mnth old fur and makes the same noise as if she where eating it, then goes back and pulls at more of her fur.

I will get mum booked in straight away to be spayed.

They are separated at the momment, Mum and dad downstaires, Butters upstaires :(

Thanks

Jay

Back