• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dermot- 12th May Post 244

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Since losing Lara I have not been able to bond Dermot with another Rabbit.

I tried again over the weekend, but Dermot is so nervous and he has a chronic gut problem which flares up as a result of stress. After 4 days of 'gentle' bonding meetings it became obvious that yet again Dermot was just too terrified :cry:

Now he has a SEVERE flare up of his gut problem and tbh it IS all my fault :cry:

I genuinely believe that Rabbits are better with a Rabbit companion, seeing two Rabbits interact with each other and snuggle up together is just wonderful. But with Dermot all my attempts to give him 'the best' have just made him VERY ill :cry:

I feel totally rubbish so no 'ear bashing' on here will make me feel any worse :cry:

Last edited:
I can't think why anyone would 'ear bash' you. We all know that rabbit' are individuals, and whilst you may believe that he would be better with somebunny in the long term, if he is not able to cope with it in the short term, then there is little you can do apart from experimenting with different bonding processes.

He's just being a bunny, and you're just trying to do your best for him. I'm not sure why you feel this is your fault, or that people would have a go at you, to be honest.

I can't think why anyone would 'ear bash' you. We all know that rabbit' are individuals, and whilst you may believe that he would be better with somebunny in the long term, if he is not able to cope with it in the short term, then there is little you can do apart from experimenting with different bonding processes.

He's just being a bunny, and you're just trying to do your best for him. I'm not sure why you feel this is your fault, or that people would have a go at you, to be honest.

Because of my previous posts about not liking keeping single Rabbits.

Given that I currently have 4 single Bucks here atm it makes me a hypocrite in the extreme.

It's like saying that humans are happiest with a long term partner - some people just don't suit that and are happier single. The thought of dating and being committed to someone freaks me out, I'm happier single.

Dermot has lots of rabbits around him, and although it may not be ideal that he hasn't got a partner to snuggle with if his health is such that bonding is so stressful then maybe he is one of those bunnies that is fine with being single.

You might yet find a suitable partner for him in the future, but please don't stress yourself. You always put your bunnies first and look after them well :)

Given that I currently have 4 single Bucks here atm it makes me a hypocrite in the extreme.

But you still have your belief, so you're not a hypocrite, cos you are doing your best for them.

Things change over time anyway, so I'm sure your four singles won't always be single - it's just a temporary thing.

Maybe then that's just a case of being careful of what you say with regards to other people having single rabbits. I would be willing to bet that the majority of people would prefer their rabbits to have a rabbit friend, but that's not always possible or feasible- as you're clearly aware.

You're just trying to do the best for Dermot; there's nothing wrong with that, or what you're doing.

Looking back to when I tried to bond Tulip (severe damage to lungs, has to be free fed etc) to Tiesto (over dominant, hump happy, strop pot.) I now realise that it has made Tulips infection a lot worse. The stress was detrimental to her health. And Tiesto got so fat from all the free feeding.

So I feel :censored: not only because it failed miserably, but also because Tulip is on steroids forever now, and can't have vacs any more. If she dies from VHD or Myxi, I have totally killed her myself.

Whenever Tulip is stressed her breathing worsens. I would love to get a special needs bun for her but, apart from financial reasons, I also think it could kill her:cry:

It is so difficult, but you have given Dermot a lot more chances than Tulip has had. So if you are a hypocrite then I am too. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Last edited:
I don't think you're being a hypocrite. It is best for a bunny to have a partner, just sometimes it's hard telling the bunny that!
There are always going to be some bunnies who prefer to be on their own. And your bunnies are surrounded by bunny company and have a lot of your attention, so it's a situation far away from 'single bun in a hutch at the bottom of the garden'.
You're doing the best thing for your bunnies, who you know better than anyone else, so please don't beat yourself up.

I hate having single rabbits but we have a few that will never bond with other rabbits. It wouldn't be my choice but it is theirs and we completely respect their wishes.

I think the fact that you have tried in their best interests and that they have let you know what they want and you respect that is all you can do :)

You are not a hypocrite Jane. Because you TRIED bonding them and it didn't work because they didn't want it. I love Dermot and he obviously isn't in the right frame of mind to another friend, maybe wait a little longer, as he is such a sensitive bunny?
If he is happy (as happy as he can be) on his own then I see no reason not to keep him like that. Better him on his own than with anotherbun, possibly getting stressed and going into stasis or having a flare up.
I hope I'm making sense, I'm bad with words.

But they're not single because you haven't tried, or because it's more convenient for you to keep them that way - they're single because, essentially, they've chosen to be. Some bunnies just don't work well in a pair - or only with a very specific partner, i.e. Lara.

I hope Dermot is feeling better soon x

But they're not single because you haven't tried, or because it's more convenient for you to keep them that way - they're single because, essentially, they've chosen to be. Some bunnies just don't work well in a pair - or only with a very specific partner, i.e. Lara.

I hope Dermot is feeling better soon x

Thank you, he is doing OK now :)

Thats sad that the bonding didn't work. Sending healing tummy vibes for sweet Dermot. It is NOT your fault though, Jane. (((hugs)))

Despite an initial improvement Dermot has deteriorated again.
I am likely to have to make 'a decision' about him today :cry:

I wish to god I hadn't tried to bond him. Prior to my stupidity he had not had a GI tract 'episode' for over 2 months.

:cry: :cry:

Despite an initial improvement Dermot has deteriorated again.
I am likely to have to make 'a decision' about him today :cry:

I wish to god I hadn't tried to bond him. Prior to my stupidity he had not had a GI tract 'episode' for over 2 months.

:cry: :cry:

I hope he can recover from this episode. Sending loads of vibes.

Dermot was happy with Lara so you knew he could be happy in bunny company so you were right to try him. Everything you've ever done was for his sake so no blame or recriminations.

I'm sorry he has deteriorated again. I hope he can turn things around again.

I still fail to see why what you did was stupid; all you did was try to improve his life. If that's stupid, then we're all stupid with you. You didn't, couldn't and never could have known this would happen. You just made your choices with his best interests in your mind, which is all anyone can do.

I'm sorry he has deteriorated again. I hope he can turn things around again.

I still fail to see why what you did was stupid; all you did was try to improve his life. If that's stupid, then we're all stupid with you. You didn't, couldn't and never could have known this would happen. You just made your choices with his best interests in your mind, which is all anyone can do.

^^^^^ THIS!

Loads of vibes for Dermot, I know he can make it through this xxxxx

Oh Jane Im so sorry. You were just rying to do your best for him as you do all your rabbits please dont blame yourself he has an underlying condition which if it hadnt been triggered by this could have been triggered by something else

Back