• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay smell? - Probably just being paranoid?

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
Opened a new bag of timothy hay on Sunday from P@H. It has a different smell to it from last time. I'm not sure if it's a mouldy smell, or more of a fresh smell! I asked my Mum, she doesn't reckon it smells mouldy to her. But it definitely smells different to the last lot (which didn't really smell of anything) - but maybe that was because it was older and dried out compared to this?!

Anyway, so, what should hay smell like?? He's munching away on it quite happily... so he obviously hasn't found anything wrong with it!

Last edited:
Well with no replies I will just go with my Mum saying I am being paranoid and that it just smells like grass to her! I guess (hope!) he wouldn't sit munching it happily if it tasted funny to him.

my hay has always had this kinda duller fresh cut grass smell to it :)oops: sorry thats the best decription i could come up with)
the older stuff smells kinda musty-esk-burnt like to me....

:lol: love my termanology!!!

my hay has always had this kinda duller fresh cut grass smell to it :)oops: sorry thats the best decription i could come up with)
the older stuff smells kinda musty-esk-burnt like to me....

:lol: love my termanology!!!

:lol: It's better than mine, I apparently can't tell the difference between mould and grass!

I don't know, but bought 2 huge bags from the local pet shop. Not happy it smells funny and Sunshine has the odd sneeze from it. I use it for their bedding and wondering whether to throw the rest of it out.

i think mould would make it seem damp, how does it feel??

It doesn't feel damp... but I think it's got more "moisture" in it than the last lot I had, if you know what I mean. The hay seems more bendy, the last lot seemed really dry. I keep sticking my nose in the bag and I'm still undecided :roll: He's still hoovering it up though!

It doesn't feel damp... but I think it's got more "moisture" in it than the last lot I had, if you know what I mean. The hay seems more bendy, the last lot seemed really dry. I keep sticking my nose in the bag and I'm still undecided :roll: He's still hoovering it up though!

:lol: sticking ya nose in the bag???!!!! love it. to be honest as long as he seems fine with it i wouldnt worry. bella is not happy with me at the moment becasue i had to change her hay because i cant get it anyway :roll: she's very specific is my bella :roll:

I'm usually the mad person sticking my nose into the bags of hay at the pet shop to check it's ok :lol:
I've had a couple of disasters though (hence now I check to make sure, not just go on looks alone)...one lot felt clammy and smelt odd; the other lot was incredibly dusty and didn't smell great either. Both made Jeff sneeze, but he was fine once it was changed for some better hay and the hutch/run all swept out.

I had my nose in it again tonight!! :lol: I reckon if it was mould I'd know it though, rather than just think it. Gonna try and move on with my life now! ;)

I buy bales of hay from the farm and that sometimes smells different too. This time it has a real dry earthy/soil smell too it. I don't like :( I don't think the rabs are too keen either.

Apparently good hay smells like tobacco (the rolling or pipe kind, not the 20 marlboro/ l&b variety) before it is smoked.
I've found this to be true so far :) The best hay we've had smells like golden virginia :)

Back