• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to this site.... Lost of Fur on babie rex!!!

kitkatkazz

New Kit
Hi Guys,:wave:
I'm new to this site....

I have some really lovely:love: rex rabbits four mini rex and one standard now last mth my stardard Coco and my mini Fudge both gave birth to ten healthy babies they have been all doing so well.

But today I was cleaning out there toilet area when I came to noties one of Fudges babies has clups of fur missing from her back and under her chin you can see her skin is pink and haelthy and also missing fur around her back legs.

I have been told that it might be just to do with the Astrex gene and not to worrie as someone else had a babie rex who's fur came out, but did re-grow back.... What I would like to know is if anyone else has come across this as well.

Please comment and let me know what you think:)

Thanks x

This site is very good for rabbit care, you could have a look around, I've learnt a lot from here :wave:

Although it is a rescue friendly forum so not many people who breed, as I'm afriad neutering and spaying is what's best for rabbits not breeding :(

I had a baby rabbit (a wildie rather than a rex) who lost a lot of fur due to mites. I used Beapher ivermectin on her (available from pets at home) and the mites cleared up nicely.

Hi :wave:

I'm not a breeder.... they are my pets some were bought for my son's birthday by me and his gran perants and it just so happened that Harvey hadn't been to the the vets at that point.
As I have come to realise that rabbits that aren't spareded are much healthy to have a couple of litters in there life time than none!

Thanks for sharing your comments......

I've heard of a few hairless or partially hairless rex buns in litters, I remember one that grew it's fur back as it got older though

Hi:wave:
There is some gene that causes this problem this is what I'm starting to think it might be..... My reason for not having them spaded is I fear the risks of opts as there are always risks....
I'm not going to disagree of it being a safer option for any rabbit but I beleve strongly in nature and there is reason for why nature acts the way it does.

I think it's safe to say that most aniaml lovers treat there pets better than most people treat each other. We always want whats best for our pets.

If your woundering why I'm on this site more than the other it's because I was finding it hard to post things on there every time I went on it took me ages to work it out how to post.... But having said that I might have had the same problem here if I havn't bookmarked this page instead of the home page!

Thanks to all of you for your comments and messgers x

If you bought your rabbits at the same time from Pets at Home, they are probably brother and sister. You should never breed brother and sister together because you can easily end up with genetic problems.

Back