• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need advice

What option would you go for?

• Move bunnies up to the box room and have baby in the lounge with us?

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Have the baby in the box room and have a matress on the floor for me to sleep on?

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Go against the advise and have baby sleep in his own room on his own from day 1?

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Go against advise and have baby in the lounge with us and the bunnies?

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rachylou

Warren Veteran
What would you do in my situation...

We are due to have our little boy in August and have recently moved in with my parents due to my mental health illness becoming too much as it was centered around the contamination of poison at the flat and really kicked my OCD up to a new level so disabaling that my husband had to stay off work to look after me.
Anyway we are now at my parents and hope that in a week or so my husband will be able to start back at work as I am coping a lot better being away from the flat.
My parents have very kindly given up their lounge for us and it has been converted in to our bedroom/living area and they have the dinning room as their living area now.
There is a box room in the house which used to be my old room when I was previously living at home when I was younger it is literally a box room, big enough for a single bed and a large wardrobe but that is about it.
At the moment the bunnies are living in the lounge with us and they are so happy there!! Jimby has been binkying and has really brightened up since moving, he never binkyed at the flat and I fear he may have been slipping in to a state of depression.
Our prediciment is...
We had planned on putting baby straight in his own room as the idea of having him in the lounge with us and the bunnies is probably not a good one due to possible allergies, we have a good baby monitor with a movement sensor pad so we thought this would be a safe option.
The reason we do not really want to put the bunnies up in the box room is becasue it is so small and would really oly be big enough for their cage and a small area which we feel would not be fair to them, plus they would not have constant interation which they are used to and thrieve on.
We saw the consultant today who has said that by the SID society it is recommended that baby stay in with Muma nd Dad for the first 6 months but it is up to us.

So my question to you is, what would you do?

i voted bunnies in the box room, baby in with you....it'll be nice to be near your baby especially as it is your first and it may prevent any further OCD worries.. theres more chance of the baby being in the same room as your buns if you kept them in the lounge, as its your area where you spend most time baby will be with you in the daytime i would expect. i have found Alvin is far more settled in a quieter room than in a living room where he is likely to be bothered by visitors (youll get a fair few for a few months after the birth i reakon :lol:)

One of my boys went into his own room from 9 weeks and the other was a year as we were between houses and living with parents while we fixed another house up. I would imagine you will need baby with you for at least the first few weeks as he may keep waking the whole house up if he wakes for feeds and by the time you get up to do the night feeds. Its a long trek up a short flight of stairs in the middle of the night! lol! Especially if its your 9th or 10th time that night to settle a crying baby:roll:

What about setting the buns up in that room for now and see how they get on? They could still come downstairs during the day but sleep upstairs?

I must say its a lovely time having a new baby and being laid in bed watching them sleep, I used to lay watching both of my boys sleep for hours:D:love: Good luck!!

Put the bunnies in the box room and keeo baby with you. I had my little boy in with me for the first 8 weeks, i couldnt have put him in his own room any younger than that, i was to worried about him. Also why not get a baby gate for the box room so that the bunnies aren't totally cut off. At least you can say hello and give them a stroke through the gate as your going past and its not like you've shut them off from the family :)

I'd probably go for bunnies in box room, baby with you for first 6 months, then swap them over if possible after that, as baby will want its own room at some point (and so will you probably, I'm guessing).

My only thought is will you be happy for the baby to have the box room after the bunnies have lived in it for 6months? I know that sounds a weird thing to say but thought I would ask, since I also get contamination-type OCD worries :oops:

I was in a moses basket in my mom's room when I was born because she was in a similar situation but sharing with friends and she didn't have the luxury of potentially 2 rooms. If she had the option of me having my own room she would've taken it :)

I would definitely have the baby in with you. Studies have shown that babies will regulate their breathing when they can hear the sounds of their parents breathing. They are much less likely to stop breathing during the night. Apart from that, you will be shattered and it will be much easier to have baby's bed beside you so that are not having to go up to them many times a night.

When baby has arrived are you able to get back onto meds that will help you again? I am glad you have your mum and dad to support you. The flat's problems were having an awful effect on you.

Who told you that the baby would get allergies if exposed to the buns? I've never heard that one before!

Who told you that the baby would get allergies if exposed to the buns? I've never heard that one before!

I was wondering this too.

I would definatley want baby with me - thats where babies should be and I expect you will want that too once baby arrives - remember baby will want feeding through the night and its easiest if baby is near you - also after the birth you won't want to be sleeping on a mattress on the floor I'm sure.

If space is ok then I think I would have baby in the lounge with you and the bunnies if not then I'm afraid bunnies will have to go to the box room - you can make lots of interesting levels for them to make up for any lack of floor space.

hi :wave:

I voted buns in the boxroom, baby with you.

In my experience you tend to watch over the baby so carefully for the first 2/3 months and its easier to tend to feeds and cries when you are with them all the time.

Once they outgrow their moses baskets and need their cots, its time to have their own room if poss.

Im sure whatever you decide it will all work out though, I dont have OCD worries like you, but do have history of allergies which I passed on to my daughters and that would be a consideration for me to begin with, the buns fur and baby. but thats just me.

What lovely parents to give up their living space for you, I hope I can be that selfless when I have to be :love:

Good luck xxx

i know various ppl who have had their babies separate from day 1 and have been totally fine. they all had breathing monitors though etc. thats my vote.

i know various ppl who have had their babies separate from day 1 and have been totally fine. they all had breathing monitors though etc. thats my vote.

The trouble with that though is if the monitor does alarm it can be too late. :(Having baby in with you means you are helping them regulate their breathing so the alarm doesn't go off. Prevention rather than cure!

I know many people who have not had babies in with them but I think six months such a short time really to have a vulnerable baby with you just in case. :). This comes from a mother of three by the way, all of whom were in our room for at least six months.;)

Thankyou to all of you for your honest replies and votes, keep them coming!
I am just so worried the buns are going to feel like we have 'banished' them to a small box room and left them on their own because they will not see us as much as they are used to :( I love them so much but I do understand the safety of my son has to take priority.

The midwife and the consultant we spoke to said that having the bunnies with the baby whilst sleeping could cause potential allergies.

I can not remember who said about ahving a baby gate up so that we could give them fuss as we go past the room- brillient idea and we will have a baby gate up but purley as a protective measure due to my parents having a cat so the door will have to be closed :(

My daughter turned 1 yesterday and trust me from the minute you birng your baby home your not going to want to let them out of your sight.
to be honist a sensor pad isent going to give you peace of mind trust me i bought one thinking it would and it sends off more false alarms then false labour, i used it once and never used it again and you cant use it in a moses basket either.
to be honist its best that bub stays with you for at leat 4months i would say because of things such as cot death i know its a scary thought and theres nothing to say that putting him in his own room he wldnt be fine but it just means if you wana peep in the night then hes right ther with you and you have more of a feel for the temp in the room hes in as you are there also, plus having him in your room and near you is much better for night feeds cus trust me your not gona wana be up down in and out of different rooms all night it just makes the situation even more tiering for mumma. :wave:

Thankyou Peaches- Yeah I think I am coming round to the idea that it would be better for little bubs to be in our room like you say for the first few months at least then see how we go.
I guess it would be a strain for me if I were having to get up and down all night for him if he were upstairs so it would be easier on me, if I were to sleep on the mattress on the floor in his room that would not only not be ideal for me after giving birth but would possibly also put a strain on my marriage, so we are faced with either having baby and bunnies in with us or having baby in with us and bunnies upstairs short term and I hate to admit that I think moving the buns upstaris is the most sensible option due to all the hay and fur plus with baby crying it might even upset the buns , it would not be foreverthey could be back down again before a year is up and they have each other so would not be alone all the time.
I just hope they understand and know I still love them! :(

Back