• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should be able to get it sorted now xx

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I go back to school tomorrow and I can't put the buns out in their run all day like I have been doing in the holidays because Beano's a digger, next doors dog has a habit of getting into our garden, foxes and cats do too and the latest thing, wild baby rabbits who seem to have no fear trying to get at their run so it would be too risky to leave them out all day unsupervised. They'll have to stay in their shed until I get home, the shed has plastic windows and I think it'll get very warm in their. :( The buns have an Ice Pod which I'll put in with them, plenty of cold water and sometimes I give them a little slice of cucumber when it's hot. What else can I do to keep them cool? I really want to do something with their shed, my dad won't let me replace the windows with mesh because he says it will rain in and he's not messing around putting the plastic back in again :( I said could we put mesh in the doorway and have the door open, he said no because he doesn't know how to do it and how would I get in and out and Beano is very strong and if she could see out she'd want to get out and chews the door. Any help on what I can do? :( I'll see if I can post a pic of my shed to show you it's design.

Last edited:
If there is no mesh in the windows and doors in the next few weeks they are going to suffer badly and it could potentially be fatal I'm afraid. Sheds heat up very quickly and with no air coming in... :(

Even sheds with mesh doors and windows heat up and awful lot.

I'm really sorry but you really need to speak to your Dad again and explain how bad it can get

I have mesh doors on my playhouse so it is possible :)

My shed still has the plastic windows in and I know that it gets stifling in there on hot days. Mine stay out in the run though and I'm home all day anyway. We do plan to replace the windows with mesh and build a wooden frame that the plastic can slide into for when it rains and in winter. There was a thread in housing explaining how to do it and its quite simple. Will have a look for it. It won't help you tonight though :(

Really not sure what else you can do to make it cooler....maybe someone else will have some ideas?!

If there is no mesh in the windows and doors in the next few weeks they are going to suffer badly and it could potentially be fatal I'm afraid. Sheds heat up very quickly and with no air coming in... :(Even sheds with mesh doors and windows heat up and awful lot.

I'm really sorry but you really need to speak to your Dad again and explain how bad it can get

I have mesh doors on my playhouse so it is possible :)

Yes, they're like greenhouses.

Liz they must not be left in the from now until the autumn..they will overheat.
My sheds are partially shaded and have windows that open with mesh covers..they still get hot so have to have a fan and cool pods, etc.
please see if you can get a 2nd hand hutch from somewhere..may not be perfect but for a temp measure will stop them dying
if we can get an old hutch up to you would that help ?...would only be a 5 x 2 x 2 but at least will be cooler if put in the shade??

I agree with everything that's been said, but silve backed beach matts on the roof might deflect some direct heat, and also wet white sheets hung up outside too.

It won't be effective when its really hot though, and stuffy and humid.

Thankyou everyone.

I will have a look at the link in the last post and hope I can get that done, it is windy and cloudy here so not as warm thankfully but I know it will still get hot. I'm going to have a look at the link and see if I can get the windows sorted.

Thankyou for the link, my brother in law is a builder so I will ask him if my dad says he can't do it. My mum is in tomorrow so the buns can go out in their run with her in and checking on them.

I have found this old picture of one of my playhouses if it helps. the mesh door opens outwards from the opposite side to the main door

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=153281&highlight=playhouse+mesh

That looks quite simple to do :D This is what I want to do - most people seem to have doors opening inwards so the buns dont escape, but when I open the shed its usually to let mine out to freerange so I'd prefer an outwards opening door. Will save that to favourites!

Good luck liz, I hope you manage to get it sorted soon :)

I found opening inwards is awkward with hay down on the floor. The door is set slightly inside the main frame so the other door shuts over the top and the bolts go into holes drilled into the frame towards the back so the main door still shuts :)

Thankyou. Right, I should be able to sort out some windows that open soon. I will see if my dad will do anything this evening, if not the buns can go outside with my mum checking on them tomorrow.

My dad said he will take out the plastic and nail wire over the windows. The wire is only chicken wire but the window is high up and it will have to do until I can get something stronger and get the tools to make opening windows. They will have an ice pod and tiles in with them.

Do you think I should put them out in their run before I go to school? My mum will be in to check on them but won't check on them as often as I'd like.

ETA: I could also leave a bare patch in their crate? In one corner there is just newspaper, I could leave it as the metal so that will be cool for them or is that a bad idea?

Finally my dad is talking some sence.

My choices are this:

1. Take out the plastic windows and replace with chicken wire tonight until I can get something stronger sorted at the weekend

Or

2. Put the buns out in their run tomorrow with my mum checking on them but not as often as I'd like and she will have to go out for about an hour and this won't be possible on Thursday and Friday due to her working.

Or

3. Shut the buns in their large dog crate and have the shed door open with something against the bottom so nothing gets in if it would.

Which option do you think is best? My parents are discussing what they can do at the weekend about meshing the door/windows.

Thankyou for any advice :)

Well you may have already decided this now, but I would go for option 1 or 3. Probably 3 as it seems less risk. Its only for 3 days and presumably you can put them in their run when you get home from school?

Hi Liz :wave:

I don't have personal experience of sheds & windows so can't send you any additional pics etc but ask your dad (or BIL) if he can take the plastic out and make a frame around it that can be put back in during the winter months? This could be hinged on the outside & pinned back through the summer leaving just the mesh when it's warm :D If he's ok with the idea you might like to suggest doing something similar with the door (like the playhouse pic that Hugos there sent you a link to). That way it doesn't affect how the shed looks from the outside but keeps the buns safe & comfortable :)

Do you have any wooden trellis? Just wondering if this could be used over the window until you get some mesh or in addition to it?

Freezing small bits of veg/herbs/leaves in ice cubes is another way of encouraging buns to drink plenty & keep cool :wave:

Last edited:
Freeze some big coke bottles filled with water and put them in with buns if you cant do anything else they love licking the bottles and laying next to them to keep cool x

Thankyou everyone :) I had a lot to think about last night with various issue's and was all over the place :(

But I think it's sorted now, the buns had their large dog crate today and a pen to go in that was inside their shed, so I could have the door open and they were fine. They will have this tomorrow and Friday and I'm putting them in their run as soon as I get home from school and they stay in there until it gets colder which is when they want to come in. At the weekend I'm going to go out and get some tools so I can have a mesh door in and openable windows.

Thankyou very much for your help and concern xxx

Back