• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Flapjack may have Diarrhea :(

Emmz

Alpha Buck
Firstly, I have booked an appointment as soon as I saw the mess. It's at 3:05pm but I wanted advice whilst I waited.

I haven't had him long, only since the weekend. I know the people who had him for the past few weeks as he was a stray they found in their garden. I just came back off holiday and they had done the bonding for me (him and Terry get on really well already within a couple of weeks.)

He has been fine up to now, minus not using the tray. I assume he's just not litter trained. I know it is Flapjack and not Terry as his legs and groin area are slightly mucky. Should I leave this for the vet to see before cleaning it all up?

I have cleaned the cage to the best of my ability (it's too big to do easily alone as it takes up half that room it is in and the OH is at work until 5) and put them both back. He seems to be eating and drinking normally.

I haven't given them any veg since they got home. I wanted him to settle in a bit. They have just been eating hay and their pellets.

I know I have an appointment but like I said I wanted to know if anyone had any advice. His character seems normal (so he doesn't seem worn out or lethargic) - I only just had a rabbit die under a month ago (my beautiful little Pomme :( ) and I don't want to lose another.

Neither me nor my friend know if he was vaccinated yet. I was planning to take him to the vet this week (I do shift work and not had time off until today) all I know is he's neutered. No clue on age either. He is a bit of a stinky bun compared to Terry do you think the strong smell is also an indication? It's the same smell Pomme use to always give (I think she may have had an internal tummy issue that I just didn't realise. I just thought 2 bunnies = more smell. I want to be extra cautious this time around.)

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it is diarrhoea and not excess cecotrophs ?

What pellets are you feeding and how much ?

I would clean him up as he is at high risk of flystrike if left mucky.

Well he is indoors and I hate leaving windows open (not too hot yet) so is it still an issue still for the next couple of hours? If so I will try and clean him up a bit.

I have always just used the pets at home stuff (the muesli type) and they get about a third of a bowl each a day. Is that too much? I have been trying to give less and more veg but I am too scared of suddenly giving too much veg. I'm still quite new to rabbits and any diet correction is definitely welcome. My Terry has never had any issues and I've had him since I think early December.

At my friends house they spent a lot of time on the grass so I assume they had eaten a fair amount of grass before I collected them in the weekend. I was more worried he might have not been vaccinated and he has caught something but he only has mucky poo so perhaps I am over worrying?

I think it sounds as though it is a dietary problem

He is being overfed as far as the Mix goes. Is he eating A LOT of hay ? Hay should make up 80-90% of the diet. Mix/Pellets are best fed in minimal amounts. No more than an eggcupful a day for an average 2kg Rabbit.

Here is some info about a suitable diet for Rabbits :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

And yes, I would definitely clean him up. ALL Rabbits, be they indoors or out, can succumb to Flystrike if they are soiled.

I didn't realise that was too much. I will give the links a good, long read. Looking at it quickly, I am concerned he may be selectively eating as only yesterday did I see him munch from one bowl a bit then hop to the other.

I need to cool the car as I have no aircon and get them into their carriers now anyway so I'll go clean him up as I go. Thanks.

Is the pellet food at pets at home ok to change to? I assume it's better to use than a mix. I will definitely start to be less shy with the veg as the lists they provide are really helpful (especially as they also give an amount for some things and I really need that.)

Will have to buy them a new bowl especially for the veggies. :)

Hope I'm not interfering but there's some useful information on this link which may help you decide about which pellet you may want to change over to.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbitfood.asp

It also has a useful comparison table for some of the main pellet brands out there (but not all).

Remember to change it over very gradually, over about 4 weeks. Start by mixing in a 1/4 to 3/4 in the first week, then 1/2 and 1/2 the second week, then 3/4 to 1/4 in the third week and hopefully by the fourth week they can be fully on to the new food.

You may find they are fussy with the new food at first but if you persevere they should start to eat the new stuff.

Good luck at the vets.

PS. Think I am right in saying that stress and environmental changes can cause a change in eating behaviours/tummy function so just beware that as he has had quite a few changes recently he may just be a little stressed and taking time for things to settle down.

Yeah the vet said it may just be the environment change. She gave me some pro biotic and said to leave veggies out of his diet until he seems a bit more regular. I asked about vaccinating him (even if he is already) and she said it should be fine but wait until he's fully better.

And you're not interfering at all. I don't mind being corrected/advised as it isn't my ego that matters it's my rabbits that matter. :lol:

I'm leaving him to calm down now I think the journey was quite stressful (was for me too as they closed the road down to my vets so I had to walk half a mile with 2 heavy rabbits.)

As soon as I opened his door to the carrier in their room he knew he was home and appeared a lot happier - he just flopped straight to the floor for a rest lol.

Glad you have been to the vet and all is ok. I give some of my rabbits pro-biotic too in their water to help their tums.

Hopefully things will settle down as he gets used to his environment and settles in fully. Then if you want to make any changes I would just make them really gradually, and one at a time.

Back