• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pub Rabbits

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I sent a letter to my local pub after I visited and found rabbits in the pub garden with no hay or water. I tried to be helpful rather than accusatory.

When I visited again on Friday, they had water this time but the bottles were full of algea and there was still no hay. Two of the three bunnies looked a little skinny though hard to tell without having a feel.

I've written a more stearn letter requesting a response to my complaint.

If there is still no improvement what else can I do?

Were they on grass though? Just if they have loads of grass maybe they don't need hay?

(Please bear in mind I have only got house rabbits, correct me if I am wrong so nobody thinks it is OK if not:))

If not then Rspca I guess:(

Do you think it warrent its? I know it is neglect but would the rspca think it is bad? The general keep of the buns isn't perfect but its not horrendous either which is why I thought the education not accusation route might work. maybe I was being nieve?

They were on grass but this time I've noticed its almost been eaten, mainly bear earth now.

I sent a letter to my local pub after I visited and found rabbits in the pub garden with no hay or water. I tried to be helpful rather than accusatory.

When I visited again on Friday, they had water this time but the bottles were full of algea and there was still no hay. Two of the three bunnies looked a little skinny though hard to tell without having a feel.

I've written a more stearn letter requesting a response to my complaint.

If there is still no improvement what else can I do?

In addition to the RSPCA suggestion:

If the pub is part of a chain, write to the head office.

If the pub is linked to a brewery, write to their head office.

In each case, ask whether the business condones the maltreatment of animals in their outlets?

Humilliation or potential PR embarassment is often effective.

It will depend on the RSPCA Officer, to be honest, as to how effective they will be. You lose nothing by doing it because if they don't want to be educated, then there is little you can do. You ca only educate someone who wants to be educated.

Thanks Sky. I don't know if they are linked to a brewery or chain but will contact the RSPCA if I don't get a response in a day or two.

I reported them. Will the RSPCA keep me informed or is it data protection?

when you report someone they normally ask if you want to be kept up to date. If you say yes then whether or not you're kept up to date is dependent on how good the Inspector is. I had to chase it when I reported, but then was told what happened.

When I reported a bunny to the RSPCA they didn't get back to me, but said if I phoned them they would give me an update.

There are 2 pubs close to me and the one of them have a double 3ft hutch in the corner of the garden that you can see from the road, I don't know if they have rabbits or guinea pigs :( And the other pub had free range rabbits! on the car park! foxes etc.. then had 3 hutches but have sold 2 of them and they have the largest left, which is just about adequate.. they also had a shetland pony, a sheep and 2 goats in a very small grassy area which was quite steep with about 2 meters of flat ground, by about 10 meters.. It was terrible. But they must have been reported or something.

I think it's disgusting how they think by having animals they can keep custom up because parents can take their children.. :censored: They don't get handled or anything! :evil: They could just put a play area in couldn't they...

Back