• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WHY is there so much rabbit neglect ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
There is a constant stream of rabbits in rescue. Excluding those from breeders, as I think we all know the horrid conditions they come from, why is there so much neglect and abuse.

This is the 21st century. Are many people not aware of animal welfare and basic care. Are they ignorant ? Naive - turn a blind eye ?

Will it ever get better ? or will we live in a perpetual world of unashamed ignorance ?

genuine ignorance, i think.

i've kept rabbits on and off all my life and until this pair, they've all been hutch bunnies. apart from the first one (when i was 4) they've been pairs and their accommodation has been better than average but they didn't have the luxuries or the interaction that matthew and tabby get.

so if after fifty years of bunnying, i'm still learning, i think its a fair guess that people who aren't all that interested just won't know anything at all.

A lot of people just don't know. They trust the advice from petshop staff, who know no better, so there's just an endless stream of rabbits who are neglected.
If pet shops knew better, a lot less rabbits would be neeglected I think.

I mean, I was told a ZooZone 2 would be fine for a pair. If I hadn't found RU, I'd have have bunnys in a too small cage (I would have upgraded from a ZZ2 when they grew but probably not to 6ft). They'd not be vaccinated or neutered. I'd have probably had an accidental litter as Charlie was mis-sexed.

RU gave me a gental prod in the right direction and now my bunnys are perfectly happy little creatures, and Rogue gets to live in the ZooZone2. Win win!

I Know I was not up to standard before RU, but I knew to always have a pair of bunnies, at least one neutered and vacs. Not great on diet or space before but I tried. And other short comings.

Why don't people even try ?

Its obvious we do, or we would not be here.

Do you think then that people just go into a pet shop and say, yes lets get a bunny and never research or really care ?

I Know I was not up to standard before RU, but I knew to always have a pair of bunnies, at least one neutered and vacs. Not great on diet or space before but I tried. And other short comings.

Why don't people even try ?

Its obvious we do, or we would not be here.

Do you think then that people just go into a pet shop and say, yes lets get a bunny and never research or really care ?

I researched... bought books and picked up leaflets!
Not a single one mentioned neutering, vaccinating or what size hutch. Just said "as big as you can" and then had a picture of an indoor cage anyway which are tiny.
Seriously the luck of finding RU is a godsend. I joined two forums that day... Liked the layout of this one and the fact that there wasn't a tonne of breeding on it so hunf around

I researched... bought books and picked up leaflets!
Not a single one mentioned neutering, vaccinating or what size hutch. Just said "as big as you can" and then had a picture of an indoor cage anyway which are tiny.
Seriously the luck of finding RU is a godsend. I joined two forums that day... Liked the layout of this one and the fact that there wasn't a tonne of breeding on it so hunf around

That is terrible, thought books would tell people that.

Saying that never had my last 2 females spayed, just the boys were neutered. Not even the vets said anything.

And my vets only did a mixxi once a year. Thought Sunshine was really safe.

i think in most 'inoccent' situations, people just dont know.
before i found RU i didnt know about vaccinating thumper, about spaying and i had him in a plastic cage with just a museli mix food:censored:

.. im so glad i found RU, and my buns are too haa my mums friend from work got her young daughter a bunny for her birthday. and i wrote' her a list straight away of things the bunny needs, the women was shocked and didn't realise it needed any of that.

but when it comes to breeders ect, they know what rabbits need they are just hideous creatures who think mis treating any animal is ok.

i think alot of things need to happen before theres a change in peoples attitudes, starting with the law on animal cruelty, a man starves a baby leaves it tied to a chain with no love until it's to the point of no return, they get life in prison, it's in the news people everywhere are shocked and discusted. where as a man does the same to a dog, he gets a few hundred pounds fine and possibly a few weeks in prison or doing comunity service.

Ignorance and naiveness I think. People blindly believe what pet shop people say or random advice on the internet or in books.

but when it comes to breeders ect, they know what rabbits need they are just hideous creatures who think mis treating any animal is ok.

I wouldn't say that is true. Maybe some breeders but definitely not the majority. They can be just as ignorant as anyone.

I think a lot improving information at the point of 'sale' would be a massive help. Most people don't care enough about rabbits to provide the space/funds to keep them properly, which means they are unsuitable pets for them. Problem is that they get the rabbits not appreciating their needs, and then they're stuck with them - those people generally become defensive if the shortcomings in the way their rabbits are kept are pointed out.

I think the problem is that most adults wouldn't view them as rewarding pets as such, but rather something for the kids. This is what needs to change, so that they only go to people who will really care about them.

They are definitely harder work than cats or dogs if you're looking for affection, and therefore not suitable, in my opinion, for many people who will not appreciate them for what they are.

Ignorance. Some people (non bunny) I have spoke to still think that a 3ft hutch at the bottom of the garden with no run is acceptable and unfortunately it is these sort of people who then buy rabbits as pets for their children who then in turn get bored with it. I also have lots of comments about keeping my rabbits together "do they not breed? and "do you breed them" so obviously neutering does not cross peoples mind to do and people seem genuinely surprised when I tell them the amount of rabbits in rescue every year hence the reason for not breeding them. People are also surprised when I tell them I foster rabbits.

Should have been more clear about breeders. I mean the ones that have 100's of rabbits in dire conditions. I would expect no-one is shown around those places. But we won't go down the breeders line.

Its the general public, even some vets. And as Steph mentioned books published on rabbit care, that lack suitable knowledge.

We live in a day and age of the internet and all varieties of media. Wouldn't take 30 minutes to find out the basic care for a bunny online.

Although there is some level of ignorance. If you told everyone who owned a rabbit what you feel they should be doing, I would bet that the majority wouldn't change.

Because to most people they are "just rabbits". They are seen as lesser life forms, they are below them in the food chain, they are something cute and fluffy to look at and make the kids happy and the novelty soon wears off and they just become another non-rewarding chore.

Wouldn't take 30 minutes to find out the basic care for a bunny online.

Some people in the world just cant be bothered to educate themselves even though information is readily available. I remember something on TV I think it was where people thought that the orange bit in a jaffa cake would go towards their 5 a day!!!!!!!!! And my OH's mate thought that girls got pregnant if they had sex on their period - I mean seriously how can he not know the basics of reproduction.

Last edited:
Although there is some level of ignorance. If you told everyone who owned a rabbit what you feel they should be doing, I would bet that the majority wouldn't change.

Because to most people they are "just rabbits". They are seen as lesser life forms, they are below them in the food chain, they are something cute and fluffy to look at and make the kids happy and the novelty soon wears off and they just become another non-rewarding chore.

That's exactly what I was trying to say! Much better-put! These are the people for whom rabbits are unsuitable pets. I would like to see more education before they buy them, in the hope that they will realise and not get the rabbit in the first place.

We live in a day and age of the internet and all varieties of media. Wouldn't take 30 minutes to find out the basic care for a bunny online.

I actually found it quite hard to find information online that wasn't conflicting.

In fact, I've just googled and the top 3 links for "rabbit care" all give different recommendations.

Some people in the world just cant be bothered to educate themselves even though information is readily available. I remember something on TV I think it was where people thought that the orange bit in a jaffa cake would go towards their 5 a day!!!!!!!!! And my OH's mate thought that girls got pregnant if they had sex on their period - I mean seriously how can he not know the basics of reproduction.

I know there is still alot of general ignorance about sex, but thinking the orange bit in a jaffa cake part of your 5 a day. :roll:

Honesty you would think that if they knew what 5 a day was it would be easy.

That's exactly what I was trying to say! Much better-put! These are the people for whom rabbits are unsuitable pets. I would like to see more education before they buy them, in the hope that they will realise and not get the rabbit in the first place.

Possibly pet shops and back yard breeders wouldn't like to give correct info to prospective owners re costs etc as I am sure if people realised just how much it would cost they wouldn't bother and there goes their profits.

Really what do they say ?

If I just pick Housing as an example:

-The first link is the RSPCA site, which specifies that Rabbits should have enough room to stand up in and enough room for them to exercise in (it gives no hutch size recommendations)
-Second link says the rabbits need enough space to stand up in and stretch out in.
-Third link says about 8 feet squared (so a 4x2 hutch would be fine).

None recommend a permenantly attached run.

I think you could just ask as easily why are any animals neglected and abused- it's happening all the time everywhere.

Part of the problem is ignorance and not bothering to find things out, I know a lot of info is conflicting but if you really want to care for an animal and do the best for it you can, do a lot of asking questions etc.
I also think people generally don't want things to be complicated, difficult or expensive, many people do not want do be without luxuries to pay a vet bill for example ( the reason we end up with so many older cats). If someone has an animal with a behavioural problem they often will rehome or PTS rather than pay for a behaviourist and then put the effort in, training as the behaviourist suggests.

Another major problem is that there is nothing to stop companies making, to us obviously unsuitable pet accessories and housing, leading people to believe that they are ok. It is the companies who make these tiny hutches and runs who should be looked at. If people couldn't buy such pathetic accommodation people would have to buy bigger. Is sad the number if people who tell me they have a lovely big hutch and it is only 4th, but they think they have done the best for their rabbit because they bought the biggest they saw.

Back