• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Xenex Ultra - Red Irritation

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Put this on our bunnies this morning and Muesli has a very red inflamed area on the back of his neck. It also looks slightly balding but not sure if thats just where its wet and clumped together.

Here is a picture:

2011-05-02214029.jpg

He is happy, eating, bouncing around - should I be worried? Will he be in discomfort? Vets dont think its anything to worry about at the moment though, and it should subside as long as he is eating and drinking....it looks painful though :?

I would never again use this on any of my bunnies. If that showed up on my bunny with this product I would be bathing it off, quickly.

I would never again use this on any of my bunnies. If that showed up on my bunny with this product I would be bathing it off, quickly.

I remember you warning me about Xenex before Sky-O but I am so so worried about flystrike :(

This is what my vets prescribe now - they wouldnt give me Rearguard.

Muesli has very bad incontinence and we are constantly cleaning him up. Same for Kenco but his condition is a bit milder.

I just think that if its a bit of "minor" irritation that could save his life then hopefully it will be worth it - but as I said above I dont want him to be in pain or severe discomfort- it looks to me like its burning :(

Do you think I should wash it off then, and ask for an alternative product? Muesli is an indoor bun so flystrike slightly less risky but then again their room gets very hot as its west facing, so gets the full afternoon/evening sun and we are going to have to start opening windows when it gets really hot.

Poor bun.

I know that there have been quite a few posts over time about this product causing lots of problems. This is one from last year http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237015&highlight=xenex

And I agree with the thoughts in it that maybe your bunny should be given pain relief. It must feel like severe sunburn or allergic reaction and I know how I feel when that happens to me.

I would also try and rinse off but not sure it this would raise the stress level of your bunny.

Hope it calms soon.

Ok thank you. The other link sounds just the same.

We have some Loxicom drops we will give him now for pain relief (OH just checking with vets). Vet says that because it has been on since this morning that even if we try and wash it off it will have all dried on to him now :cry:

I used this once several years ago & one of my 4 bunnies had exactly the same reaction. Poor boy had a red weeping bald sore about the size of a 10 pence piece:cry: I never used it again after that.x

I used this once several years ago & one of my 4 bunnies had exactly the same reaction. Poor boy had a red weeping bald sore about the size of a 10 pence piece:cry: I never used it again after that.x

Sorry to hear this. I have given Muesli a Loxicom drop and have tried to bathe off what I could with water and cotton wool. It looks so sore :(

And he's the main one who needed it too :(

What can I buy without a prescription for him? Since I wont use this again. :evil:

Sorry to hear this. I have given Muesli a Loxicom drop and have tried to bathe off what I could with water and cotton wool. It looks so sore :(

And he's the main one who needed it too :(

What can I buy without a prescription for him? Since I wont use this again. :evil:

Oh I'm sorry I can't be of much help there,mainly because mine are house bunnies and luckily I haven't had any need to use anything since.I only used it those years ago because somehow I'd managed to find a rogue flea on one and treated all as a caution. Hope you find a suitable alternative tho & I wish your bunster a swift recovery!:wave:

Oh I'm sorry I can't be of much help there,mainly because mine are house bunnies and luckily I haven't had any need to use anything since.I only used it those years ago because somehow I'd managed to find a rogue flea on one and treated all as a caution. Hope you find a suitable alternative tho & I wish your bunster a swift recovery!:wave:

Thank you!

Oh Helen, i'm sorry I didn't reply to your PM last week where you mentioned about using this stuff as I would have warned you off it :oops::oops:
It's not your fault but it's a chemcial I would be very wary of using on rabbits and I should have replied and said that i'm so sorry.

How is Muesli today? xx

Thank you Sky-O and Prettylupin for asking after Muesli. He is much better today - the redness has gone down and is now a pale pinky colour. Still bald though :( I have given him some more Loxicom today. He is such an angel.

The other 5 bunnies arent affected, thankfully.

I feel awful :( I was given warnings and did some searches on here for Xenex. I was very hesitant to use it. But my vets wouldnt prescribe anything else. :( And I felt bound to go with their advice. Particularly as I have two at risk bunnies.

I think I will write to the vets and the company.

I have citronella around the outside hutches, clean litter trays at least daily plus any excess cecals there may be, and check bums daily. But I am so worried. :(

Thank you. I hope you know I took your advice very seriously, but felt very torn about what to do :oops::(

At the end of the day on a forum, people give advice and suggestions on what they feel is best. Its then down to the owner to choose what info to follow and what not to follow because its the owner, and the owner only, who is accountable for their actions, and they have to make sure they make the choices that they think are best for their animal/s.

Its not a problem for me if someone doesn't take my advice. Its only a problem for me if someone makes me feel like **** and doesn't take my advice- which you never did. You have the right to make your own choices for your own animals. No worries from me about that :)

Glad that Muesli is a bit better today. I'm sure he'll be fine soon enough.

I normally get my vet to do the ivermectin vaccinations for mites, but have also used Xeno in the past with no problems. It's a shame that your vets didn't give you the choice of treatments.

I think a letter would be very useful - the more people that flag up an issue will certainly help long term.

Don't feel bad Helen, we have to make decisions about our bunnies all the time with their best interests are heart - we are all bound to make one that doesn't work out now and again.

I normally get my vet to do the ivermectin vaccinations for mites, but have also used Xeno in the past with no problems. It's a shame that your vets didn't give you the choice of treatments.

I think a letter would be very useful - the more people that flag up an issue will certainly help long term.

Don't feel bad Helen, we have to make decisions about our bunnies all the time with their best interests are heart - we are all bound to make one that doesn't work out now and again.

Just to clarify that Xeno 450 and Ivermectin are different from Xenex, which has the active ingredient of Permethrin, as opposed to Ivermectin.

I think helgalush wanted to protect her incontinent bunny from flystrike and her vets wouldn't prescribe rearguard.

At the end of the day on a forum, people give advice and suggestions on what they feel is best. Its then down to the owner to choose what info to follow and what not to follow because its the owner, and the owner only, who is accountable for their actions, and they have to make sure they make the choices that they think are best for their animal/s.

Its not a problem for me if someone doesn't take my advice. Its only a problem for me if someone makes me feel like **** and doesn't take my advice- which you never did. You have the right to make your own choices for your own animals. No worries from me about that :)

Thank you for saying so. I wouldnt have used it if I was given an alternative, but the only alternative was to not give anything at all. Though I guess I could have used the Beaphar one, but I am not really sure how they all differ and how they work.

Its very difficult when you trust your vet's opinion as well, when they say this is our product of choice for these reasons, therefore we advise you to use this. I kept imagining what if I dont and the worst (ie flystrike) happens?

I know I dont need to explain myself but I just feel like I need to say that I was really torn about what to do.

Just to clarify that Xeno 450 and Ivermectin are different from Xenex, which has the active ingredient of Permethrin, as opposed to Ivermectin.

I think helgalush wanted to protect her incontinent bunny from flystrike and her vets wouldn't prescribe rearguard.

Thats right.

Thank you Helen, I appreciate it.

Also I should add there is no way I will be giving my bunnies this again. If I can get the vet to prescribe Rearguard is that safer? Or can I buy something over the counter? (Is there a Beaphar one or something?) :oops:

Back