abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:18 PM
have you decided to get another boy?? :wave:

hmmmmmm will get thinking :)

Yeah, all of my animals are boys. :wave:

RampantRabbits
02-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Depends on their character and/or colouring or the circumstances :wave:

A rescue bun i know was called Chance because he was a rescue. Dolly (i dont actually like that name! :lol:) was called Dolly because she was petite and like a little dolly when i got her. Marley was Harley, for no particular reason but then i decided he suited Marley better. The new addition is called Skye because shes a BEW :wave:

Id think of names, but its hard without a picture ;)

shell1805
02-05-2011, 08:21 PM

most of my animals are boys, actually all but 2 are, but after having bella i have been converted over to girls :)

ok boy names:

murphy
monty
oliver
ralphy (though i know thats close to riley)
braken

crazyames
02-05-2011, 08:29 PM
I usually take ages deciding on names lol. I've had a goldfish called 'that white fish' for 3 years until yesterday when he mated with my female fish lily (who had eggs previously) then I named him James after Harry Potter's parents.

Birdbaby, my budgie got his name because I hand reared him from my Nan's budgie gang and has always been my baby bird.

Toni Harrison was nameless until my older brother named her after some character from a tv show Mighty Boosh

And Frankie became Frankie after a day of owning him and everyone kept telling me he had an old man's face. xD

Just go with whatever name comes to the tip of your tongue when you look at them. It's the name that suits them best! No matter how silly it is.

chloemurray
02-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Depends on their character and/or colouring or the circumstances :wave:

A rescue bun i know was called Chance because he was a rescue. Dolly (i dont actually like that name! :lol:) was called Dolly because she was petite and like a little dolly when i got her. Marley was Harley, for no particular reason but then i decided he suited Marley better. The new addition is called Skye because shes a BEW :wave:

Id think of names, but its hard without a picture ;)

IM SO EXCITED ABOUT SKYE!!!:D:D:D:D

*tries in vain to calm down*

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:31 PM
most of my animals are boys, actually all but 2 are, but after having bella i have been converted over to girls :)

ok boy names:

murphy
monty
oliver
ralphy (though i know thats close to riley)
braken

My dogs called Murphy, my dad's dog is called Monty. I like the names Oliver and Ralphy. I had a horse called Bracken. :lol: :love:

steph182
02-05-2011, 08:31 PM

Why not go for a girl bunny? It'd probably be an easier bond for you and Riley, that's all. Be horrible to get a baby bun, get it neutered and then find he didn't like your current bun. Then you'd have two singles :?

funnybunnyabc
02-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Hmm can't think of any un-common ones! :oops:
First one that sprang to mind was Ollie, then started trying to think of one that rhymed with Riley, no joy...:lol:

Chester
Jazzy.
Milo

Too common! ?
I'll keep thinking for you:thumb:
xx

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Hmm can't think of any un-common ones! :oops:
First one that sprang to mind was Ollie, then started trying to think of one that rhymed with Riley, no joy...:lol:

Chester
Jazzy.
Milo

Too common! ?
I'll keep thinking for you:thumb:
xx

Love this name, had a little foal and named him this. :love:
I quite like the name Milo :D

mini lop1
02-05-2011, 08:34 PM
mojo
ralph
rodney
rupert

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Why not go for a girl bunny? It'd probably be an easier bond for you and Riley, that's all. Be horrible to get a baby bun, get it neutered and then find he didn't like your current bun. Then you'd have two singles :?

I'm getting a baby rabbit, some people are telling me to get a male but some are saying female. My mum and brother want me to get a male. :?

shell1805
02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm getting a baby rabbit, some people are telling me to get a male but some are saying female. My mum and brother want me to get a male. :?

what do you want though?? its down to you at the end of the day :)

steph182
02-05-2011, 08:37 PM

A female would be more likely to bond easier and not fall out again. It's why rescues recommend having one of each in most cases.
A baby rabbit isn't a baby for long and once it grew up it could cause problems.

Not saying they never work, just male/female does tend to be easier

Nicola1
02-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Abi honey I really wouldn't advise getting a male for Riley. A male-male bond requires a fair bit of bonding experience :wave:

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Looks like i'll have to get a female then. :(
It has to be a baby because I dont know how Riley will react with an adult.

mini lop1
02-05-2011, 08:40 PM

xan you not get a rescue, and let riley choose and maybe the recuse can help with bonding them?

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:41 PM
xan you not get a rescue, and let riley choose and maybe the recuse can help with bonding them?

I've already rang a few rescues and they wont rehome to me because I let Riley free range. :(

steph182

Could you maybe have a chat to a rescue about their opinion? I'm sure most would be happy to talk to you even if you don't intend on getting one from there.
Or ask to PM people on here who do lots of bondings.

Problem with a baby is once the hormones kick in, it can cause a fight anyway.

There's a few people on here who are fantastic with bonds so hopefully someone would volunteer to chat to you about what could work well? :wave:

ETA the rescues on here tend to be fantastic so might be worth asking one of them

Nicola1

If you want a baby and you are 100% sure that Riley is neutered, I would get a female baby and bond her as a baby, then have her spayed while she is with him.

shell1805
02-05-2011, 08:42 PM

why the :( face?? theres no point you getting an animal you dont want :?

you might just have to accept that a male bond will be harder and may not work out :)

mini lop1
02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I've already rang a few rescues and they wont rehome to me because I let Riley free range. :(

what a shame :cry:

Nicola1
02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I am more than happy to give you bonding advice Abi :) and I'm sure if you got in touch with someone in your area like Sky-O someone could help you face-to-face :wave:

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:45 PM
If you want a baby and you are 100% sure that Riley is neutered, I would get a female baby and bond her as a baby, then have her spayed while she is with him.

I'm 100% sure that Riley is neutered and my auntie has checked aswell as she used to keep rabbits. I've been told that because the female will be a baby, Riley wont feel threatened by her? Or something like that. She'll def be getting spayed but I would like her to settle in first.

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:47 PM
why the :( face?? theres no point you getting an animal you dont want :?

you might just have to accept that a male bond will be harder and may not work out :)

I do want the animal as I've been asking my mum for ages but she only gave in 2 days ago when she saw baby rabbits in Jollyes. I don't think it would be a good idea getting a male as apparently it is harder and i've never bonded rabbits before, only piggies.

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:47 PM
I am more than happy to give you bonding advice Abi :) and I'm sure if you got in touch with someone in your area like Sky-O someone could help you face-to-face :wave:

Thankyou, i'll pm a few people and get in touch nearer to my birthday when i get the rabbit. :D

shell1805
02-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I do want the animal as I've been asking my mum for ages but she only gave in 2 days ago when she saw baby rabbits in Jollyes. I don't think it would be a good idea getting a male as apparently it is harder and i've never bonded rabbits before, only piggies.

where are you thinking of getting the new bun from?? :)

girls really are as lovely as boys :wave:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/017-7.jpg

and can be just as soppy:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/002-18.jpg

funnybunnyabc
02-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Don't let people tell you to get a female if you want a male :) it may be a little harder, but its all down to the buns personality. :)

Its a shame rescues don't like the free-range idea :(
x x x

Nicola1
02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm 100% sure that Riley is neutered and my auntie has checked aswell as she used to keep rabbits. I've been told that because the female will be a baby, Riley wont feel threatened by her? Or something like that. She'll def be getting spayed but I would like her to settle in first.

He could have undescended testicles or be sucking them in, even my old vet thought Zero was a girl for months. Generally speaking, yes, but there are exceptions to every rule :)

Of course let her settle in and grow a bit before getting her spayed :)

shell1805
02-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Don't let people tell you to get a female if you want a male :) it may be a little harder, but its all down to the buns personality. :)

x x x

its probably to do with the fact that they will be free ranged all day even if no one is home etc. think the rescues would worry about predators or someone stealing them rather than the buns having loads of space :)

Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns

Sorry I may just be being stupid, but how do you know how Riley will react with a baby bunny either? :?

Male names:
Rodney
Ned :love:
Nemo (thats kinda weird for a rabbit though :oops:)
Charlie
Russell

abi2047
where are you thinking of getting the new bun from?? :)

girls really are as lovely as boys :wave:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/017-7.jpg

and can be just as soppy:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/shell1805/002-18.jpg

A rescue wont rehome to me so I guess it's going to be a free ad or petshop, I know i'll get slated for this. :roll:
Is it true girls are more friendly than boys?

abi2047
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Sorry I may just be being stupid, but how do you know how Riley will react with a baby bunny either? :?

Male names:
Rodney
Ned :love:
Nemo (thats kinda weird for a rabbit though :oops:)
Charlie
Russell

Because he wont feel threatened by a baby, especially a female. :wave:

steph182
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM

x x x

I don't think anyones telling her, more pointing out that it can be a lot more difficult with more chance of fall outs. No one wants to see her get attached to a bunny for the bond not to work, not when she's doing it so Riley has the best life he could ask for :love:

shell1805
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
A rescue wont rehome to me so I guess it's going to be a free ad or petshop, I know i'll get slated for this. :roll:

hmmmm i wouldnt say they were, ive heard both sides: girls can be stroppy and boys can be grumpy :roll: think it all down to the personality of the bun :)
though bella is amazing, i adore her and she is my little girl. though i did have to put the work in because she was quite nervous when i first got her, but i won her over ;)

steph182
02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
hmmmm i wouldnt say they were, ive heard both sides: girls can be stroppy and boys can be grumpy :roll: think it all down to the personality of the bun :)
though bella is amazing, i adore her and she is my little girl. though i did have to put the work in because she was quite nervous when i first got her, but i won her over ;)

Oh it's definatly down to personality, just wanted to point out it could be better for a first time bond to take the easy route. Seen a few things lately about boy bunnys falling out and would hate it to happen to Abi when I know how much she wants Riley to be happy with a friend

Nicola1
02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
it's totally down to personality, Lily, Daphne, Grace and Ruby are soft as muck, Lucy is a little ****** and Jasmine can be very moody :lol:

funnybunnyabc
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't think anyones telling her, more pointing out that it can be a lot more difficult with more chance of fall outs. No one wants to see her get attached to a bunny for the bond not to work, not when she's doing it so Riley has the best life he could ask for :love:

I didn't mean on here,sorry, I meant her mum and brother wanting a boy. :)

puppyjess12345
02-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I think you should get a girly too :) Not sure about names though, I'd wait to see her first :wave:

Liz47
02-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I would recommend a girl too :wave: Funny all your pets are boys, all mine are girls except for Gordon and recently found out two of my frogs, I don't have a gender preference, it's just how things have worked out :)

I think a name will come to you once you see her :love: Could you try speaking to some rescue's on here as I find their rehoming policies are not as strict as some others.

Good luck with whatever you decide, it is your decision, we are just advising you :wave: xxxx

RampantRabbits
03-05-2011, 06:55 AM

Not in Dollys case :lol: ...although occasionally she will sit and have ear rubs. Shes still lovely though :love:

nursecroft
03-05-2011, 07:12 AM
I take it you free range your bun outdoors unsupervised then?

I would also advise a doe rather than a buck, just because the bond is more likely to work. Either sex when hormones kick in you could have to seperate them until they are old enough to be neutered anyway as it may cause a fight. An already spayed doe from a rescue (can be a young doe thats just been done) is definetely the best option and they can help you bond them.

I'd discuss the rescues reservations on rehoming to you and see if theres anything you can do to make the environment a little safer perhaps?