• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get a husban for my bonded girls?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I have 2 neutered sisterbuns who love each other very much. They're always grooming each other (yes, each other. I have no idea who is dominant.), always cuddled up together, always wondering where the otherbun is and generally in love :love:

However, someone mentioned the other day that they probably missed having a boy in their life. Is this true? my buns are getting a 6x5 shed with shelves in, and an attached 6 x 4 run very soon, so I could theoretically get another bun to go with them. However, 3 buns is a lot more than 2 especially when I've had these two together for almost 2 years (since they were babybuns). What happens if I want to move them inside again one day, then 3 buns require a much bigger cage and that's a problem.

Anyone had a similar situation or got any comments on it?

I got Bella and Chloe who were sisters. after I got Dutchie to go with them I felt that Chloe was left out and ended up with a fourth bun. That said some people do have perfectly happy trios

I had two female buns once - they were totally happy, but one day a little bundle of joy was found abandoned in a box on christmas day and was brought to me. Vet said Holly was female - turned out he was a boy :shock:, but I got him neutered and bonded him to my does. result was that he formed a strong bond with one, and the other doe got pushed out and ignored. I felt sorry for disrupting a bonded pair, but at the time I didn't know it would happen.

I think if they are happily bonded, then no need to add a third.

I have a trio as my boy lost his ladybun earlier this year and I decided to offer a home to a pair of females who had been in rescue almost a year. They are all very happy together. I would worry though about adding a male to an already bonded pair whether they may fall out over territory as it's "their patch", you know what girls can be like.

Sometimes I think if its not broken why fix it? Though I have had similar trios work in the past, recently after a successful bond and a few weeks living together one female decided to kick the other one out of the group. So you have to prepare for that eventuality sometimes.

Helen xx

Back