• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess celcals advice

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
When we got Jessie we were told she was on a hay only diet because of excess celcals. She is still on a hay only diet, but still has them :s She is eating some, but these just kind of fall out her mouth when she is :?

I'm worried about her being on a hay only diet for much longer, because she seems very thin...

We are going to vets tomorrow/wednesday for vaccinations so will ask then, but any advice in the meantime? She eats a LOT of hay, and her normal poos are big and golden. Could it be stress related, with moving and bonding? Is there anything else I can try and feed her?

Last edited:
Didn't want to read and run, I have a similar problem with one of mine, so am interested in any advice you get. Hope all is well :)

She was to be on a hay only diet until they cleared up :wave:

It did confuse me as they only started a couple of days before she left here, and as her normal poos are so heathy and golden :?

She was to be on a hay only diet until they cleared up :wave:

It did confuse me as they only started a couple of days before she left here, and as her normal poos are so heathy and golden :?

She is still on a hay only diet Kris, she just seems to be getting quite skinny now, I can feel her spine really clearly :( Her normal poos are better than Oscar's though! I don't understand it...

If it's started suddenly, caecals are falling out of her mouth and is continuing on a hay only diet, then I would suspect dental problems meaning she can't eat her normal caecals rather than that she is producing too many of them. If she's thin I would be concerned about her remaining on a hay only diet and this would also be another factor which would make me suspect dental. I would definitely get her checked by a vet ASAP :)

I wouldn't read too much into her brilliant poos, because of course they're going to be golden and crumbly if that is literally all she is eating. Personally if she's thin enough for you to worry, I would start reintroducing other foods again now and try and work out the caecal cause while getting her to put on weight. After all, if she's still having them anyway in spite of hay only, there doesn't seem a lot to lose.

If it's started suddenly, caecals are falling out of her mouth and is continuing on a hay only diet, then I would suspect dental problems meaning she can't eat her normal caecals rather than that she is producing too many of them. If she's thin I would be concerned about her remaining on a hay only diet and this would also be another factor which would make me suspect dental. I would definitely get her checked by a vet ASAP :)

She is eating some though, just not all of them... Will talk to our vet tomorrow to get her checked over, they weren't open today, silly bank holidays :?

ETA: Just seen the other part of your post, I might start introducing some pellets again too, will buy some SS at vets tomorrow rather than the excel Oscar is on in case that makes it any worse. Thank you for your advice :)

Last edited:
Back