• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drooling and choking

rabbit215

New Kit
I apologize in advance for the long post but I want to provide as much detailed information about the situation.

Our 8-9 year old Dutch has had several health problems over the years since we
adopted her from a rescue shelter.
Back in December while being treated for a sore hock using your wrapping method and metacam for pain relief, she started drooling on several occasions.
This started escalating from just drooling to choking, regurgitating and
aspirating, with the fluid and whatever she was eating last coming out of her
nose and mouth with a horrible retching noise.
Coincidence or not, it seemed like these episodes were happening around the time of her metacam dosage.
We brought her in for examination at the end of December, asking for head and throat x-rays.
We also switched her pain relief for the hocks from metacam (nsaid) to tramadol (opoid).
The episodes seemed to have stopped. By March the hocks were looking much better and she was hopping about normally.
We started stepping her down from tramadol very slowly (to reduce the potential of any withdrawal effects).
By the time April came she was down to less than half the dosage of medication then when she started.
We noticed during this time some shaking of the head and some sneezing a few times.
We were not sure if this was some of the withdraw effects of tramadol (dizziness and sneezing are listed as side-effects from what i have read) or something more sinister (she had a case of head tilt in 2009 which cleared up with baytril) then soon after that the drooling returned and more choking and regurgitation.
In the middle of April she regurgitated shortly after eating a cecotrope, then
later that day she had a similar issue but it did not follow eating and the
discharge was fluid only (a slimy, clear saliva-like discharge). We brought her
to emergency care facility (as this happened late night on the weekend and our regular vet was closed.
They put her in oxygen therapy. We asked for head and chest x-rays and a culture and sensitivity test while on the isoflurane. After an overnight stay, she was fine and had 99% pulse ox. The vet saw her tongue was swollen and had four point marks on her tongue in the back. He clipped the points. He looked down her throat and did not see any problems. He also cauterized a polyp from her anus which had been there from since we brought her home from the shelter.(Her poops were always smaller than that of our other bunnies because of it). He prescribed baytril for what he believed was aspiration pneumonia. I expressed concern that baytril would not be strong enough to treat pneumonia and he said that this was a good starting point. 2 weeks of baytril. It turned out they never performed the culture and sensitivity test and did not take a head x-ray either.
However, she did not seem to have another episode until the following week. This time just the sticky saliva fluid. Then another week of no problems and then another episode.
We thought maybe while she was recovering from pneumonia this was to be
expected. Then we ran out of baytril. We could not get a hold of the prescribing vet and our regular vet would not prescribe the medicine without consulting with the prescribing vet first. There was a two day gap before we would get more baytril.
But two days after resuming the baytril she started drooling again, this time
once a day every morning 4 days in a row which culminated yesterday in another choking regurgitation event shortly after eating a cecotrope.
We took her over to our normal vet asking for culture and sensitivity test and
head and chest xrays. They only did the chest xrays. They stated that while on the baytril the culture and sensitivity test would be compromised. (Which is why we had asked the emergency clinic to do this before anything).
And they were not in a position to do the head x-ray (under isoflourine) during that visit as there were too many emergency patients and limited staff at the time on the weekend - We would have to schedule it.
Later that night she ate all her food no problem and there was no drool this
morning but tonight shortly after charging over to her salad, she choked and
regurgitated again this time on some of her leafy greens
(She brought up chlorophyll green from her mouth and nose). After the event and recovery time of about an hour she casually went over to her food and has been eating on and off normally throughout the night.
She does seem to make a chewing motion when she is finished and just laying
there almost as if there is something still in her mouth (almost like a cow
chewing her cud).
She is a voracious eater, she sits and waits for her large salad every night and barely lets me get it on the plate before she has her head in it.
Even though several vets say she does not have a dental problem, we don't
believe it. I don't know how to interpret x-rays but I don't think the images
are clear enough to prove or disprove anything.
Based on all of our research of her symptoms but no clear evidence from the
diagnostics, we are really only guessing at this point.

Dental abscess or dysphasia seem likely possibilities.

I want to put her on Durapen(Bicillin)as it can help with both pneumonia and
abscesses and our vet will give us a prescription for it, although she is not
too familiar with it and will have to consult to determine a proper dosage
amount.
Also, two of three vets thought her heart might be slightly enlarged but a
third vet who is regarded as an "expert" thought it looked in spec. This could possibly explain fluid up. I have uploaded all x-rays from these events to have another set of eyes on them.
I was even able to capture some shaky video of part of one of her
episodes. The links are here:
x-rays: http://tinyurl.com/6939r8s
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aI48zZE_rc
I also want to mention that during this entire length of time she has been
pooping out "strings-of-pearls" almost exclusively but they have been going
through a long shedding period.
And she sometimes will shake her head and scratch at her left ear. We did give her a course of selamectin and cleaned her ears with nolvasan otic (prescribed by the vet before because of a yeast build up from antibiotics).
We are really looking for some advice here as this is a very stressful possibly
life-threatening problem and we have spent a considerable amount of time and money and have not made much progress on figuring this mystery out.

We fear that with our busy schedules, she will have an episode when we are away and we will come back to find a bunny that has drowned in her own fluid.
Even though she is getting up there in age, there is still a lot of life in her,
very active in eating and playing and seeking out pets from her human servants and grooming from her mate.
Thanks for reading this and if there is any other data I should obtain please
let me know.
Regards,
Michael

Oh my goodness. Poor bunny - but what a fabulous and caring owner she has. I'm afraid I'm no expert when it comes to health matters but I did have a bunny with pneumonia and my bunny-savvy vet prescribed Zithromax with excellent results. It might be worth a shot?

There are several very experienced RU members who I hope will read this and offer their advice.

Hope your bunny recovers well.

Sorry, I can't offer any advice, but I hope others on here can help you. Sending lots of vibes for your bun xx

Some of those symptoms tally a lot with my boy Badger. He had a laryngeal issue with his soft pallet so when he tried to swallow food it went the wrong way, and his breathing passages and his food processes didn't work properly. I don't have the concerntration to read all your thread, so I'm sorry about that. It does mean I'm limited on what i can say, but the right meds made the world of difference to Badger. He ended up on anti bios, a bronchodilator and a steroid. Changed his life. It may not be the same issue (unliekly to be), but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

I really have no advice either. That all does sound very strange. My Julie has choked twice on hay. It occurred while she much munching on a huge mouthful of short strand hay. She started sneezing and a large amount of mucus poured out of her nose and mouth. It was bubbling in her nose and going down her throat causing a gargling sound and difficult breathing. We tried to clear as much of the mucus as possible while rushing her to the vet. She was checked out and was fine but the vet said the mucus can get into the lungs and cause respiratory problems. She stopped choking on her hay when we switched hay to one that only had thick long strands. Julie also eats very fast so I hide small amounts of her food so she can not gobble huge mouthfuls. What every is going on with your bun sounds different like something is causing her to choke.

Poor Bunny :cry:

First of all what might seem like an irrelevant question, but I assume that she is spayed ?

Has she received any medication to improve her GI tract motility ?

I know these questions may seem ridiculous, but bare with me, I have a few suggestions and a bit more info would be useful before I put them to you !!

Is she maintaining her weight ?

When not having a choking episode is her respiratory rate and effort normal ?

Did she have any choking episodes at all when on the HIGHER dose of Tramadol ?

Again, no advice but just wanted to say how sorry I am she has to suffer with this, it must be very stressful and upsetting to watch. :(
I hope she gets better and finds relief very soon.

I welcome any and all suggestions...

Yes she was spayed prior to our getting her from the rescue shelter several years ago.

Yes she was on cisapride for about two weeks because she had the "string of pearls poop". We stopped her on it though although she still gets the occasional string.

She has lost some weight although her appetitite is still excellent and she eats more than our other three rabbits who are larger.

Yes she acts completely normal except occasionally when eating. It is like a roulette wheel and we hope that she does not land on choking every time she goes for food.

I do not believe that while on the high doage of Tramadol .5ml she had an episode at all that I can remember. She was at .5ml twice daily and we caught her having episodes again at .2ml daily.

I am very interested in hearing your theory. Thanks.

Poor Bunny :cry:

First of all what might seem like an irrelevant question, but I assume that she is spayed ?

Has she received any medication to improve her GI tract motility ?

I know these questions may seem ridiculous, but bare with me, I have a few suggestions and a bit more info would be useful before I put them to you !!

Is she maintaining her weight ?

When not having a choking episode is her respiratory rate and effort normal ?

Did she have any choking episodes at all when on the HIGHER dose of Tramadol ?

Well first please note that I am NOT a Vet.

I am wondering if she is having diaphragmatic spasms resulting in the 'choking' episodes. I am thinking could chronic GI tract hypomotility mean that her stomach (at the top of her GI tract ) is always overful thus restricting the amount of room there is for her lungs to fully expand. A Rabbit's lungs are tiny and there is not a great amount of room for maneuver in the chest cavity at the best of times. But with a permanently very full stomach that room will be even less meaning a very poor air exchange and a build up of fluid/mucus/infection on the lungs. Again from a totally UNQUALIFIED perspective her lungs look very consolidated to me :?

The Cisipride will have helped improve the motility of her LOWER GI tract, but I am wondering if combining both Cisipride AND Metoclopromide might be an option. Metoclopromide works on the UPPER GI tract.

Re the Tramadol. Could a side effect of it have been a relaxing of the muscles of the diaphragm thus stopping the spasms and therefore no choking episodes occurred ??

So, would a trial of Metoclopromide and Cisipride- to address GI tract hypomotility, Highish dose of Tramadol to try to stop the diaphragmatic spasms and also a covering antibiotic to treat secondary infection be a treatment option :?

Also, maybe elevating her feed bowl a little so she does not lower her head so much as she eats but eats from a bowl which is at her head level :?

All of the above may be way off the mark, but perhaps you could ask your Vet about it

Good luck, I really hope that something can be done to help your Bunny feel more comfortable xx

This is a very interesting and well thought out possibility and after witnessing the past day with her, I am starting to think this is more in line with a swallowing issue rather than a dental issue and your scenario definitely fits into that category.

She had another episode midday yesterday when I was home feeding and monitoring them (I have 3 other rabbits). She had just woken up and was grooming and possibly reaching for a cecotrope when she pulled her head up, shook her head and scratched her left ear. Then the drooling began followed by the gagging. Drool was saliva clear and towards the end of the episode tinged with a little brown-green. It looked like very fine hay particles were mixed in.

After a recovery period, she was fine and began eating. I had to go to my second job and returned a few hours later.

Some of the food was gone as is normal and she was fine on inspection and no drool marks anywhere on the three rooms she and her mate have access too.

She ate fine all through the night and was playful.

This morning she was alert and bright and was actually doing binkies and tossing some cardboard tubes.

She returned to her salad and ate non-stop for a good 5 minutes straight, she then eagerly took her baytril/probiotic mix which is delivered via a ball
comprised of a slice of banana and crushed up pellets and is very moist. She
devoured it no problem. She then returned to the salad ate for a few minutes
more. Then she jumped in her hay/bathroom container. Started eating hay... I mix timothy and orchard grass together but I have run low on orchard and it has been primarily timothy... hay is a little crunchy. She started eating the hay then I noticed while she was chewing a sort of squeaking noise while she was chewing. Then she stopped eating new hay and was still moving her mouth in a chewing motion with the squeaking noise still going on. Then she reached down for more hay and started eating again but the squeaking noise did not subside. Then she jumped out of her container ran to one of the bedrooms and began the drooling/choking sequence again.

This is the first time I have seen her end to end with this problem as neither
my wife nor I are home alot right now (luckily we go back to normal 9-5 next
week after 4 months of double shifts). This is the second time I have seen her leave the hay bucket and initiate this sequence.

The problem has been occurring more as of late and the lack of availability of
the softer hay might have something to do with it.

Someone on another forum mentioned the possibility of a dropped palate where food was getting caught above the upper palate and when the rabbit tries to dislodge it, "it goes down the wrong tube" and creates a gagging condition.

She seemed to be doing fine with the wet leafy salad and the
medicine/banana/pellet ball...I am going to pick up some soft hay rather than
this straw like timothy she currently has to see if it makes any difference.

FYI... We do not serve our rabbits pellets and offer a very wide assortment of
mixed greens (romaine, red & green lettuce, kale, dandelion greens, swiss chard,escarole, chicory, plain & curley parsley, mint, basil, a brussell sprout and cut up carrots).

I can rule out so much with good head/dental xrays and a scope down to look at the palate. If that theory does not work... I think it would be reasonable to try your plan and I certainly will run this by my vet.

Thanks again for the level of thought that went into your suggestion. I never would have come anywhere close to thinking like that.

Regards,
Michael

Well first please note that I am NOT a Vet.

I am wondering if she is having diaphragmatic spasms resulting in the 'choking' episodes. I am thinking could chronic GI tract hypomotility mean that her stomach (at the top of her GI tract ) is always overful thus restricting the amount of room there is for her lungs to fully expand. A Rabbit's lungs are tiny and there is not a great amount of room for maneuver in the chest cavity at the best of times. But with a permanently very full stomach that room will be even less meaning a very poor air exchange and a build up of fluid/mucus/infection on the lungs. Again from a totally UNQUALIFIED perspective her lungs look very consolidated to me :?

The Cisipride will have helped improve the motility of her LOWER GI tract, but I am wondering if combining both Cisipride AND Metoclopromide might be an option. Metoclopromide works on the UPPER GI tract.

Re the Tramadol. Could a side effect of it have been a relaxing of the muscles of the diaphragm thus stopping the spasms and therefore no choking episodes occurred ??

So, would a trial of Metoclopromide and Cisipride- to address GI tract hypomotility, Highish dose of Tramadol to try to stop the diaphragmatic spasms and also a covering antibiotic to treat secondary infection be a treatment option :?

Also, maybe elevating her feed bowl a little so she does not lower her head so much as she eats but eats from a bowl which is at her head level :?

All of the above may be way off the mark, but perhaps you could ask your Vet about it

Good luck, I really hope that something can be done to help your Bunny feel more comfortable xx

From just skimming (sorry) over the main bits I am reminded of a bun we had who was very elderly and who had drool and choking episodes as his muscles that should have held his food down in the gut no longer worked all the time. We put him on metaclopromide and cisipride and that worked well as it meant everything was chugging along in the right direction so nothing came back up.

His elederly ness would equate with having a muscle relaxant doing the same thing of resulting in inefficient muscle.

Rabbits find choking and regurgitation very upsetting as normally their system does not allow it to happen.

Good luck.

From just skimming (sorry) over the main bits I am reminded of a bun we had who was very elderly and who had drool and choking episodes as his muscles that should have held his food down in the gut no longer worked all the time. We put him on metaclopromide and cisipride and that worked well as it meant everything was chugging along in the right direction so nothing came back up.

His elederly ness would equate with having a muscle relaxant doing the same thing of resulting in inefficient muscle.

Rabbits find choking and regurgitation very upsetting as normally their system does not allow it to happen.

Good luck.

Thanks for your comments... Would her constant making strings of poop be a symptom of slow motility? That problem started around the same time as this issue.

Hi again everyone... just an update. After witnessing the the specifics of her last choking attack and noticing her difficulty with the hay, I made a switch from the timothy hay which was very straw-like and crunchy to a soft orchard grass and for the past 24 hours has not had a single problem and her poops over that same time period for the first time are not strung together as if the problems magically went away.

We are obviously not done and need to get head and dental xrays as well as an endoscopy but this buys us a little time to find the best vet to handle this.

Armed with this new information, anyone have ideas as to what could cause this? Same as before - dental problem, dropped palate, dysphagia?
After seeing this new evidence I do not think she has a motility problem now.
Keep in mind no problem eating the huge leafy green salad, carrots or Brussels sprouts.

thanks bunnytoes for sharing your story... although you mentioned you did not have any advice, your account of switching the hay for your bun gave me the idea.

Update 05-12-2011

OK just got back from vet. Our girl took well to the sedation and woke right up and is back with her mate at home. They took a bunch of head xrays today 5/12/11... I uploaded them as well as all previous xrays here:
http://www.vsqr.com/rabbits/xray/

There are two head xrays in the December set of xrays if they can be used for comparative purposes.

I am not really sure what I am looking at or for. Vet did comment that her mouth did not seem to open all the way which she thought was odd. I have never noticed a problem there, I watch her when she yawns and it seems normal. The vet is asking colleagues for opinions on the xrays and uploading them on the professional network.

Meanwhile the previous vet wrote us back and said he did perform the endoscopy when she was brought into the emergency visit. He said her palate looked fine and that he believes this is a nerve issue. (Although at the time of the visit he said he checked her for nerve function and she was ok, so I have doubt).

Changing her hay from strawlike and crunchy timothy to a soft orchard grass has made a big difference. In the 9 days since switching out her hay, she has had one small drooling episode and a very minor choking episode (cleared in 15 seconds), whereas before the switch this was happening major at least once a day. Also the diet change resulted in her poop no longer strung together. So it is pretty conclusive that this was undigested hay.

So if anyone can make heads or tails of these xrays that would be much appreciated but this vet does care and is doing everything she can to help, so hopefully with everything out there we can figure this out.

Thanks so much for everything.

Goodness me you are such caring owners!!!!! I guess like lots of us you care for your buns and they spend your holiday fund year on year!!!!

Jack-Jane as ever has given you excellent advise.

A very small point....have you covered her and your other bunnies for EC???? I know EC can cause neurological and renal problems. I know the neurological problems are typically head tilt and hind leg paralysis but given the complexity of your lovely lady's problems I would consider lapazol (a gentrix product) for all your buns.
Even if this is nothing to do with EC if she's under the weather at her advanced years it may be prudent to limit your chances of problems with it.

The very best of luck xxxxxx

OK just got back from vet. Our girl took well to the sedation and woke right up and is back with her mate at home. They took a bunch of head xrays today 5/12/11... I uploaded them as well as all previous xrays here:
http://www.vsqr.com/rabbits/xray/

There are two head xrays in the December set of xrays if they can be used for comparative purposes.

I am not really sure what I am looking at or for. Vet did comment that her mouth did not seem to open all the way which she thought was odd. I have never noticed a problem there, I watch her when she yawns and it seems normal. The vet is asking colleagues for opinions on the xrays and uploading them on the professional network.

Meanwhile the previous vet wrote us back and said he did perform the endoscopy when she was brought into the emergency visit. He said her palate looked fine and that he believes this is a nerve issue. (Although at the time of the visit he said he checked her for nerve function and she was ok, so I have doubt).

Changing her hay from strawlike and crunchy timothy to a soft orchard grass has made a big difference. In the 9 days since switching out her hay, she has had one small drooling episode and a very minor choking episode (cleared in 15 seconds), whereas before the switch this was happening major at least once a day. Also the diet change resulted in her poop no longer strung together. So it is pretty conclusive that this was undigested hay.

So if anyone can make heads or tails of these xrays that would be much appreciated but this vet does care and is doing everything she can to help, so hopefully with everything out there we can figure this out.

Thanks so much for everything.

did you ever find out what was wrong with your rabbit? My rabbit Bailey is going through the same thing and has been having these episodes one and off for a year. She has pneumonia twice in the last year. I have been to countless vets and they do not seem to figure out what is wrong with her. If you ever found out what was wrong with your rabbit please let me know. I would really appreciate it! I googled her symptoms and came across your thread which is why I joined this forum. I am going to see a rabbit specialist this Thursday. Thanks.

-Elissa

Back