• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has any one had a rabbit survive this U/D Nobby's home :)pics posted

mimi75

Alpha Buck
An operation to remove a bowel obstruction???My poor darling Nobby has been taken ill today,I can't stop crying.you know when you just sense they're not quite right?then his tummy started gurgling so I whipped him down to Harcourt-Browns.The vet on duty(not Frances today) x-rayed him and feared an obstruction in his small intestines,although we have caught it pretty early it requires an operation to open him up to remove it.She has given him a 50/50 chance but I am so terrified,I love him so much.It's only 6 weeks since we lost bob to an obstruction.I feel so helpless.Have any of you been through this op with positive results?kind of grasping at any straws I can here for comfort.Thanks for reading & I will keep you updated.xx

Hi, I havent been through this personally but I know of some buns who have had the surgery and survived.
Just wanted to send loads and loads of vibes for Nobby, he is in good hands at HB's. Is the surgery today?
Tons of get well wishes xxxxxxxxxxx

I am sorry to hear about Nobby :cry:

He is at a good Rabbit Vet Practice so I am sure everything possible will be done to try to save him. The surgery is high risk, but the only other option in such cases is PTS.

Lots of vibes for a good outcome xx

I think I might be one of the people you are looking for.

I had a bun who had to have his stomach opened to remove a mass of hair and food. I was only given a 25% chance of survival but he made it due to his determination and even greater determination of the vet. Our vet had not performed the surgery before but read and re-read FHB's rabbit surgery book.

I wont paint a glossy picture, it takes a long time and lots of patience for a full recovery and there are times when you question whether you should put them through such an ordeal. Supporting Nobby will be the best treatment you can offer. He is in the best of hands and if anyone is capable of a favourable result then it will be FHB.

Loads and loads of vibes for a positive outcome for your little man.

Hi,thank you all for the good vibes.just spoken to Alison who carried out the op,good news is he's made it through the op & it was less invasive then first feared as she didn't have to remove any of the intestine. She was able to massage the obstruction through to the larger intestine.Hope I've got that right?any way she said he isn't out of the woods yet as he has to be able to sit up & start eating/pooping etc. Does this sound a little more positive? I really hope so,he's my baby. She did say earlier that she thought we had caught it fairly early on so I have everything crossed for my baby boy. Is it anything I am doing wrong??? They are all house bunnies,very healthy diets,constant hay supply and yet it's the second obstruction in my bunnies in the last 6 weeks-sadly my beautiful Rex boy 'handsome bob' had to be helped to the bridge whilst still under anaesthetic as there was too much damage:( I just don't understand why this happens:cry: Thank you so much for the support, I will keep you updated. I have to go away until Friday but he is in the best hands.x

I think I might be one of the people you are looking for.

I had a bun who had to have his stomach opened to remove a mass of hair and food. I was only given a 25% chance of survival but he made it due to his determination and even greater determination of the vet. Our vet had not performed the surgery before but read and re-read FHB's rabbit surgery book.

I wont paint a glossy picture, it takes a long time and lots of patience for a full recovery and there are times when you question whether you should put them through such an ordeal. Supporting Nobby will be the best treatment you can offer. He is in the best of hands and if anyone is capable of a favourable result then it will be FHB.

Loads and loads of vibes for a positive outcome for your little man.
So glad your bunny made a full recovery,good to hear-thank you! X

Everything crossed here for a full recovery. Although early days it does sound positive.

Please keep us updated when you get back.

Thank you and I will. Hopefully if he makes it that far i'll be ringing the vets several times a day:oops: but so relieved that if this had to happen then it happened when I was here. My mum comes to look after the bunnies for us & she is brilliant with them,but I don't think anybody can know your bunnies the way you do yourself & although at first this morning he 'appeared'fine,something told me otherwise. it is well known amongst my family that I hate leaving them & worry about them whilst I'm away at the best of times. I just can't help it,they're all my babies- you all know what it's like I'm sure! All fingers & toes are crossed for him,he's such a special boy with a special life story.:love: xxxx

Hi,thank you all for the good vibes.just spoken to Alison who carried out the op,good news is he's made it through the op & it was less invasive then first feared as she didn't have to remove any of the intestine. She was able to massage the obstruction through to the larger intestine.Hope I've got that right?any way she said he isn't out of the woods yet as he has to be able to sit up & start eating/pooping etc. Does this sound a little more positive? I really hope so,he's my baby. She did say earlier that she thought we had caught it fairly early on so I have everything crossed for my baby boy. Is it anything I am doing wrong??? They are all house bunnies,very healthy diets,constant hay supply and yet it's the second obstruction in my bunnies in the last 6 weeks-sadly my beautiful Rex boy 'handsome bob' had to be helped to the bridge whilst still under anaesthetic as there was too much damage:( I just don't understand why this happens:cry: Thank you so much for the support, I will keep you updated. I have to go away until Friday but he is in the best hands.x

Allison did the surgery on Little Dot back in October. Nigel H-B went to great length recently to explain that although she's not the most rabbit savvy vet there is, she is an extremely skilled a surgeon, so Nobby really was in excellent hands for the surgery. Allison also managed to move the blockage along with Dot but she didn't make it so far, she slipped away before the anaesthetic could be reversed. He's over the first and biggest hurdle. Sending loads of vibes that he can pull through.

Last edited:
Thank you Bunny buddy, I am so sad to hear little dot didn't make it:cry: I cannot imagine the house without him in it,he really is 'mummies little boy' I just want him home again.xx

Thank you Bunny buddy, I am so sad to hear little dot didn't make it:cry: I cannot imagine the house without him in it,he really is 'mummies little boy' I just want him home again.xx

I'm sure he wants to come home as much as you want him home, it's that that will make him fight the rest of his battle.

Artie had to stay there for a week after surgery, and it was an incredibly long week. I've got the impression you are as close to Nobby as I am to Artie, I know the agony you are going through, I so hope you get good news every day when you ring.

I'm sure he wants to come home as much as you want him home, it's that that will make him fight the rest of his battle.

Artie had to stay there for a week after surgery, and it was an incredibly long week. I've got the impression you are as close to Nobby as I am to Artie, I know the agony you are going through, I so hope you get good news every day when you ring.

Thank you,we really are very close-he loves his daddy too! He came to me about a month after losing my beautiful Lola. I'd said I wasn't getting any more as the pain was awful:cry: (well not for a long time anyway as I still had my bonded pair Bob & moo house buns too) but then at 2am one Saturday morning my rather tipsy friend was ringing my door bell,her & her husband wherevcoming home from a night out only to find Nobby running up the main road. Somehow in hervdrunken state,bless her lol, she managed to catch him & wanted to bring him to me as she knows how much I love my bunnies. The next day I had H-B's check him over,then settled him in with me. Straight away he took to snuggling on the sofa with me & following me about the house. I had registered him as 'found' at the vets up the road & on the Monday I was in tears as a woman rang up to claim him. She collected him that very night,but before he left we had big cuddles & he stood on his hind legs to sniff my face when I was crying,it was as if he knew how I felt:cry: I cried all week(especially as she had said he always escaped & just lived under the decking in her back garden,I worried about him) I text her the following weekend to check he was ok & to let her know I would have him back in a shot if he became too much for her. To my utter excitement she said "I've decided you can have him" & brought him round that very night:D that was over 2 years ago & since then he has been my constant companion, Frances even thinks he started misbehaving around Christmas ( we had just found out we were expecting our first hoomin)because he sensed it too. He was passed around from pillar to post in his previous homes & he is so wonderful I can't understand why anybody would have wanted to part with him...but I'm very glad they did :love: he follows us about & sleeps in our bedroom,I completely adore him & so does my husband. Sorry for the long post,just wanted to share Nobbys story. My special man.xx

only just seen this - I have had a bun survive operation to open gut and remove an obstruction - she recovered well and is still with us several years later with no gut adhesion problems etc.

only just seen this - I have had a bun survive operation to open gut and remove an obstruction - she recovered well and is still with us several years later with no gut adhesion problems etc.

That is so lovely to hear,so glad she is still with you and doing well! I really will be jumping for joy if he comes home( well as much as a 6 month bump will allow;)) cannot imagine what my life would be like without my little Nobby numb numb:cry: here's hoping I won't have to for many years to come.xx

willow was allowed home I think about 36 hours or maybe 48 hours after surgery. we do have a full set up of heat pads, can do sub cut fluids, etc etc.

Oh bless him!!!!!
With all your love and excellent vets he has every chance!!!!!
Sending you our best xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you and I will. Hopefully if he makes it that far i'll be ringing the vets several times a day:oops: but so relieved that if this had to happen then it happened when I was here. My mum comes to look after the bunnies for us & she is brilliant with them,but I don't think anybody can know your bunnies the way you do yourself & although at first this morning he 'appeared'fine,something told me otherwise. it is well known amongst my family that I hate leaving them & worry about them whilst I'm away at the best of times. I just can't help it,they're all my babies- you all know what it's like I'm sure! All fingers & toes are crossed for him,he's such a special boy with a special life story.:love: xxxx

Back