• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rats cage makeover! ETA: Pics of the ratties added

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Honey and Treasure have a critter 3 type cage and the floors were quite awkward, I'd seen quite a few people remove the floors because the rats prefer to have space to climb so I took out the second floor because Honey and Treasure climbed everywhere anyway! And I hung some new climby toys in for them and I can add more to it, I think they like it :) What do you think?

ratscage1.jpg

ratscage2.jpg

ratscage3.jpg

ratscage4.jpg

ratscage5.jpg

ratscage6.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone :D I may have another idea of something else to add to the cage too! :)

Looks great. They may find that a 12" silent spinner is fun. I also get the stackable box things from pund shops to attach to the bars as extra shelfy things and they also like their wooden wine rack which I plastikoted.

The silent spinner and boxes are in this pic

P1010470.jpg

Really? I absolutely despise them. Explorer's and Savic Royal Suite's all the way for me I'm afraid :lol:

I found them best. I had the big one for my girls after they chewed out a different cage. I don't trust any cages with plastic bases now!
Critter was good because each rat had a floor to herself if they wanted too, and I prefered the doors.
Did have stuff covering some of the floors to stop them getting bad feet but all in all I think theyre good!

I found them best. I had the big one for my girls after they chewed out a different cage. I don't trust any cages with plastic bases now!
Critter was good because each rat had a floor to herself if they wanted too, and I prefered the doors.
Did have stuff covering some of the floors to stop them getting bad feet but all in all I think theyre good!

Ah, my choice of cages do have rubbush plastic trays in them but I got a metal cage base made by John hopewell as I'm planning to keep rats for years so it will be an investment.

I love the doors my explorer has. The whole of the front of the cage opens up which is fab for rats with behaviour issues, no chances to hide in a lttle corner.

To be fair though I did use a critter cage once with some boys I was fostering who fell it. It was useful to rebond them in 1 section and gradually increase their space but even after I had them in it just a few weeks I found it really held onto pee which was really difficult to clean off.

Ah, my choice of cages do have rubbush plastic trays in them but I got a metal cage base made by John hopewell as I'm planning to keep rats for years so it will be an investment.

I love the doors my explorer has. The whole of the front of the cage opens up which is fab for rats with behaviour issues, no chances to hide in a lttle corner.

To be fair though I did use a critter cage once with some boys I was fostering who fell it. It was useful to rebond them in 1 section and gradually increase their space but even after I had them in it just a few weeks I found it really held onto pee which was really difficult to clean off.

Ah, my girls were litter trained so wouldn't know that issue!
My eldest rat used to drag a tunnel up the ramp and then jump in and slide down :lol:

Ah, my girls were litter trained so wouldn't know that issue!
My eldest rat used to drag a tunnel up the ramp and then jump in and slide down :lol:

Wow! You were lucky. Most rats can be litter trained for poo (you can just about see my litter tray in the bottom left of my cage) but they seem to love to pee on shelves and in igloos.

Wow! You were lucky. Most rats can be litter trained for poo (you can just about see my litter tray in the bottom left of my cage) but they seem to love to pee on shelves and in igloos.

I had a mother and 3 babies... The mother was litter trained within a few weeks of getting her so when we had a surprise litter, they all copied her. Only ever had the odd wee outside the tray when they all got really old. My girlies were so good :love:

I had a mother and 3 babies... The mother was litter trained within a few weeks of getting her so when we had a surprise litter, they all copied her. Only ever had the odd wee outside the tray when they all got really old. My girlies were so good :love:

What good girls. I'm afraid to say this is the exception rather than the rule. Girls do seem better than boys though. I'm convinced one of my friends boy rats has a bladder the size of a rabbits as he wee'd on me whilst sitting on my shoulder the other day. It was like a waterfall! It ran all down my top and over the other rat I was holding and made a puddle on the floor :shock:

What good girls. I'm afraid to say this is the exception rather than the rule. Girls do seem better than boys though. I'm convinced one of my friends boy rats has a bladder the size of a rabbits as he wee'd on me whilst sitting on my shoulder the other day. It was like a waterfall! It ran all down my top and over the other rat I was holding and made a puddle on the floor :shock:

My friend has two boys and they're certanly not litter trained :lol:
The whole litter of 10 were all good with going in the litter tray though! Mammy rat (Nezzie) did a good job me thinks :love:

I miss having rats :cry: Although that pee story makes me miss it slightly less :lol:

Thankyou everyone :)

I do like the cage although it is almost as tall as me so is difficult to clean. The lino gets messy too, I'd like it if it had solid shelves. I will be looking to add things to it too :) Some one suggested to me using cat litter trays as shelves so I'd like to do that once I can get to wilko's to get some bits. :)

I have also had a rat wee on me, went all the way down the back of my top! Honey and Treasure wee and poo in one corner of their cage, if I put a litter tray in, they'll go next to it, not in it :roll: They do have the odd wee on their shelves though but don't wee in their beds, they don't wee whilst free ranging in my room but they do wee on my chair.

These two are my first rats and I've got such a close bond with them :love: They are lovely, my most human friendly pets ever. They are like little people, have their own personality and everything. I adore them, and me thinks they like me too! :love:

I miss having rats :cry: Although that pee story makes me miss it slightly less :lol:

You get used to it although I do find myself sniffing my clothes before leaving the house just in case someone has peed on me without me noticing. It's my worst nightmare to smell of pee in public :lol:

Rats are great, I couldn't be without mine.

Back