• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to cover hutches with at night - suggestions?

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
To the wise & hutch savvy folks of RU......

My two foster bun hutches are always covered at night, in the warmer months with just tarpaulin, in the winter with this plus 2-3 layers of blankets etc. It works ok-ish but it's flappy (especially in this winds), fliddly & a bit unsightly (& I'm trying to make things look a bit tidier). Does anyone have any suggestions re. what I could use as an alternative (excluding a hutch hugger)?

I've thought about making shutters of some sort but can't see an easy way of fixing them.... :?

Are you talking the whole hutch or just the bits of the hutch open to air? (for the summer that is).

I use tarps on my hutches.

I staple the three sides that don't need to be moved, and fix hooks in the hutch to match up with the eyelets on the tarp to stop it flapping around.

Are you talking the whole hutch or just the bits of the hutch open to air? (for the summer that is).

I cover the whole hutch atm but only because the tarp fits over the whole thing. Just covering the mesh bits would be fine :wave:

I cover the whole hutch atm but only because the tarp fits over the whole thing. Just covering the mesh bits would be fine :wave:

My dad made roll up and roll down plastic to cover the mesh part of the hutch (but I don't use it in the summer because it can get stuffy). There's pictures of that on my website (on an unsuitable setup from the past, but it gives you the idea) under the 'Rabbit Info Articles' and n the weather proofing bit.

We also staple the tarpaulin, and I have been cutting bits of tarpaulin and stapling them in a specific area but this only works in the winter because you can't take it off. The rest of the tarpaulin gets stapled down around the area like BB Mommy says.

I use tarps on my hutches.

I staple the three sides that don't need to be moved, and fix hooks in the hutch to match up with the eyelets on the tarp to stop it flapping around.

I've done a similar thing with the new hutch that Bouncer is in. I've fastened the back of the tarp to the fence (the hutch sits up against it) and then used bungees through the eyelets and onto mesh to keep the front section down. I guess I just wanted to improve the visual as well as the flappy :lol: but maybe I'm just being too fussy :oops:

My dad made roll up and roll down plastic to cover the mesh part of the hutch (but I don't use it in the summer because it can get stuffy). There's pictures of that on my website (on an unsuitable setup from the past, but it gives you the idea) under the 'Rabbit Info Articles' and n the weather proofing bit.

We also staple the tarpaulin, and I have been cutting bits of tarpaulin and stapling them in a specific area but this only works in the winter because you can't take it off. The rest of the tarpaulin gets stapled down around the area like BB Mommy says.

Thanks :wave: I shall put some thought into the roller blind concept and see if I can make it work on at least one hutch. There seem to be things in the way atm which prevent me from attaching things where I need them i.e. hinges or the roof overhang :roll:

My boys have shutters on the top panels, and tarps on the bottom panels. The tarps are cut to the right size for each section, tacked on at the top of each section, and during the day they are rolled up and tied in place, and at night they are let down and I use the plastic clamps to hold them in place :)

My boys have shutters on the top panels, and tarps on the bottom panels. The tarps are cut to the right size for each section, tacked on at the top of each section, and during the day they are rolled up and tied in place, and at night they are let down and I use the plastic clamps to hold them in place :)

Hmmm, more food for thought. Thanks :wave:

No flapping problems for Spenser as his made to measure cover fastens with velcro. It was rather expensive though, and isn't particularly pretty. He has a sliding shutter for his upper huch door, but I've never used it as I thought he might find it a bit claustrophobic.

No flapping problems for Spenser as his made to measure cover fastens with velcro. It was rather expensive though, and isn't particularly pretty. He has a sliding shutter for his upper huch door, but I've never used it as I thought he might find it a bit claustrophobic.

I like the sound of that :D:wave:

Back