• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental spurs?

MichG

Mama Doe
Snoopy and Isabelle went for their VHD the other day and I also asked for their teeth to be checked, turns out they both have spurs. Snoopy already had to have his incisors removed, but in a way I am not surprised he has them as when he lived at PACT he didn't always have a lot of hay (until I came along and started working there :D) But I have had Isabelle from 4 weeks old and she has always been a huge hay eater!! I will admit I have been bad and given her things like carrot, which I have cut down now and the pellets have been cut down to 1/4 of an egg cup of Excell and 1/4 of an egg cup of Allan and Page, the rest is now all greens or hay and grass.

I have never had a dental bun before (now I have 2 :roll:) I understand it is a GA for them to be dealt with but what actually happens during the surgery? Also Isabelle is only about 12 weeks old and is going to have to have a dental in the next few weeks, is this going to be safe GA-wise? She is only 900g in weight.

Unfortunately I was working so OH took them to vets and he never asks questions :roll:

Also once they have a dental, will the spurs grow back?

Totally clueless :oops:

Dont worry all it means is the teeth at the back of the mouth ae not grinding down as fast in a certain area. Just like us rabbits dont have perfect teeth only there teeth grow everyday. So if they have a slightly off tooth then even though the teeth is grinding down good at one side the other side might not grind as fast.
If everyone got there buns teeth checked and even wild buns you would probably find each bun would need a denatl about once a year. Some act fine as though no problem as they learn to live with the discomfort.
I wouldnt panic yet just because they need a dental doesn't mean they are dental buns! Mine all get there teeth done probably once a year. Except Angel who is a dental bun and has hers done every 1-3 months depending on how fast they grow. (some months its every 4 weeks she needs her teeth done then like this time she has went 3 months but needs them done now)
Good for giving grinding food hay/greens/grass thats the action they need to keep them down. Nuggets are crunching action that doesn't grind the teeth down. Not sure why you stopped with carrot but thats good to gnaw on and grind and of course they love it. You dont have to stop feeding any food just as long as they get hay and twigs/sticks/gnawing stuff.
Your baby would need to be kept an eye on as it may be her breeding that has caused her to have not good teeth but it may just be a one off you never know fingers crossed.
As for the op they just file down the back teeth so they are straight again they will go in on a orning like for an op DONT stop feeding take food with you. Thye stay for the day so you will pick them up later on jut to check they come round ok after ga. Then they may be sleepy all that night and sometimes next dat so dont worry. We use sloppy food like weetabix after out dentals as the gums can be sore where they have had teeth done. Or mush up your nuggets. Then they are back to normal. Angel goes in that often that they give her less ga stuff and shes hoppy and eating as soon as she comes home. Winston is pretty bad with ga and hes out untill the next night and still not eating as good for another day.
http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/digestion.html

Last edited:
Spurs can recur depending on their cause. If there is a malocclusion the teeth will not meet crown to crown and the eating action of chewing rather than grinding can create new spurs. The best means to prevent ongoing problems is to ensure they eat as much hay and grass as possible.

Rabbits teeth are aradicular hyposodent which just means they grow continuously and post birth there is only one set for life; the incisors grow at a faster rate than the molars and premolars. Grass and its dried version hay contains silica which is also in sand and works as a grinding compound reducing growth as it occurs to keep the teeth at the optimum level.

With dental buns the best we can hope for is that the spurs are not due to a malocclusion, but if that malocclusion is not severe it is possible for hay and grass to keep all in check for prolonged periods. I hope for the best for Snoopy and Isabelle.

Thank you, is it possible to remove the problem molars if the issue persists? Also is malocclusion more likely if they have already had that problem with the incisors?

Thank you, is it possible to remove the problem molars if the issue persists? Also is malocclusion more likely if they have already had that problem with the incisors?

Molar removal is a MAJOR procedure unless the tooth is already about to fall out. Sometimes it can fracture the jaw :cry: It should not be done as a 'treatment' for molar spurs.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformatio...Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/molarextractrabbit.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq2ONxt3Jg

http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifestyle/DHdocs/dacrosstoothelong.pdf

Molar removal is a MAJOR procedure unless the tooth is already about to fall out. Sometimes it can fracture the jaw :cry: It should not be done as a 'treatment' for molar spurs.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformatio...Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/molarextractrabbit.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq2ONxt3Jg

http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifestyle/DHdocs/dacrosstoothelong.pdf

:shock: noted... I am sure the vet would never have suggested that anyway. Didn't realise rabbit teeth were so complicated, I knew they were complicated and grew all the time etc but rabbit health and dental treatments/problems really do take some getting your head around!!

:shock: noted... I am sure the vet would never have suggested that anyway. Didn't realise rabbit teeth were so complicated, I knew they were complicated and grew all the time etc but rabbit health and dental treatments/problems really do take some getting your head around!!

I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing straight forward about Rabbit Health issues !!

Back