• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilted head (brief episode) - U/D pus in ear, mmm!

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
I have been away staying with my OH for the last 2 weeks and got home this evening. My Mum has just told me that on Friday evening she noticed that bunny had his head tilted to one side. She picked him up and had him on her lap for an hour or so, which he never usually does. He normally won't sit on anyone's lap for more than about 5 seconds! Mum said it only lasted about an hour or so and then he was back to normal and hopping about so she didn't think it was worth worrying me over or worth taking him to the vet (although she would have done if it had continued).

So... is it something to worry over?? He's been fine since and was happy to see his Mummy come home tonight! He's off to the vet on Tuesday again anyway, so I will mention it to him while I'm there.

Last edited:
I would definitely mention it to the vet. Head tilt is sometimes associated with EC and he may want to give a 28 day course of panacur. There are probably many reasons for head tilt and I hope someone more knowledgable will come on here to give you alternative ideas.

You don't say the reason for the vet visit but if it's for vaccination then the vet would do a full health check first before deciding if fit for injection.

sue:wave:

I think I might do a course of Panacur, just to be on the safe side. Definitely mention it to your vet. :wave:

Have you checked INSIDE both his ears AND his EYES ?

Eye pain caused by an eye injury can cause a transient tilt of the head until the acute pain subsides.

A scratch on the cheeks/tongue caused by a sharp tooth/spur can also cause a transient head tilt immediately after the abrasion occurs.

Personally I would not give Panacur until a Vet has examined your Bun.

I would definitely mention it to the vet. Head tilt is sometimes associated with EC and he may want to give a 28 day course of panacur. There are probably many reasons for head tilt and I hope someone more knowledgable will come on here to give you alternative ideas.

You don't say the reason for the vet visit but if it's for vaccination then the vet would do a full health check first before deciding if fit for injection.

sue:wave:

I don't know what EC is...?

No, the vet trip isn't for a vaccination. It's for another ongoing health problem with his nose. Which appears to be getting better... fingers crossed.

I think I might do a course of Panacur, just to be on the safe side. Definitely mention it to your vet. :wave:

Thanks, I will mention to vet tomorrow.

Have you checked INSIDE both his ears AND his EYES ?

Eye pain caused by an eye injury can cause a transient tilt of the head until the acute pain subsides.

A scratch on the cheeks/tongue caused by a sharp tooth/spur can also cause a transient head tilt immediately after the abrasion occurs.

Personally I would not give Panacur until a Vet has examined your Bun.

I have looked inside his ears, I can't see anything but don't really know what I'm looking for! His eyes look fine too as far as I can tell.

I won't just be giving Panacur... I don't even know what it is. I wouldn't give him anything without checking with the vet first, I know nothing about medication!

So looks like best bet is just checking with vet anyway tomorrow. Hope it's nothing serious, he's been ill pretty much since I first got him :( Only just got to the bottom of it and fixing it for him, he doesn't need something else wrong with him too!

So... the vet found a bit of pus in bun's ear. Yummy! He's on a course of Septrin, 1ml twice a day. Hopefully will clear it up.

His nose abscess is clearing up too :)

I may finally get to get him his VHD vaccination at some point! Although it's almost been 6 mths since his myxi jab which started the ball rolling with being ill in the first place!

Last edited:
Did the Vet take a swab from the ear BEFORE starting him on the Septrin ? IME (lots of it sadly) Septrin wont touch an ear infection.

Has he also been prescribed a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ?

Did the Vet take a swab from the ear BEFORE starting him on the Septrin ? IME (lots of it sadly) Septrin wont touch an ear infection.

Has he also been prescribed a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ?

I honestly don't know about swabs, I dropped him off at 7.30am and picked him up at 6.30pm as I had to work all day, so I don't know details! I always forget to ask questions until I'm driving home!

No the vet hasn't given me anything else, just asked me to give him a ring on Monday to talk about how he is. He's a 45 min drive from me so it's not easy just to pop over when I work full time!

He came very highly recommended on here, and recommended by my own vet, so I trust him to do what's right... I don't have enough knowledge to question him.

Back