• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye mystery

Pixsmudge

Young Bun
Hey guys :wave:
Just wanted to pick your brains for some info if that's OK. I was sitting with Smudge and Pickle today, we were all chilling dopily in the rabbit run. Smudge moved to get her pellets and I noticed something different about her right eye. Her iris looks as it has a very pale ring around it which goes down and develops into a tiny streak. Its almost horseshoe shaped. I've never seen this before and it definitely wasn't there yesterday, she's had tummy problems lately so I've been watching her like a hawk. I tried getting a picture but she hid in the back of the hutch behind Pix so that was the end of that really. I'll try tomorrow but I'm not sure it'll show up as its really not a big noticeable thing.
Just wondered if anyone's buns have had something similar?If there's any super clever people out there that might be able to help work out what it is? :) Her eye is still nice and naturally moist, no runniness, she's blinking normally, light reflection is still there..just there is this tiny white streak..
Thank you for any thoughts you can offer

Hey:) thanks very much for getting back to me. Nah that doesnt look like her eye, all I can describe it as is a little white streak. Im quite worried because I just don't have much of an idea. I thought a scratch or the beginnings of cataracts but theres no cloudiness at all. Bit baffled!

Alrighty, I managed to get her still enough for this picture, it isn't massively detailed or noticeable, so I stuck it on photo shop and put some arrows in to help you all see :) Its really the best I can do, and I had to go super macro to get it to show up, otherwise it doesn't really. As I said in the earlier posts, its reflective and beautifully moist :)
P5020025copy.jpg

Just went for another look to check,no red angry blood vessels :) just a white ring really that connects to the streaks.

Just an update to say she was taken to the vet for a check on her stomach and I asked the vet to check her eye. Couple of days before going the white streaking faded but the brown of her eye freckled grey at the very top. The vet found her sight was still excellent and the changes were not a cause for concern.
Thank you for your help

Back