• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone feed unlimited hay & unlimited pellets?

Do you feed unlimited hay & unlimited pellets?

• Yes i feed unlimited hay/pellets to some of my buns...

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • No i don't feed unlimited pellets.

Votes: 71 89.9%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
poll to follow. Please give reasons for this -i.e poorly bun or just free feed in general etc.

I am currently feeding unlimited to some that i can't seem to keep weight on. There are no obvious reasons for the weight not staying on either. I.e liver failure etc.

Last edited:
I feed unlimited hay, with a handful a pellets between the pair of them... There's not an option for that, and I would guess this is what the majority with healthy buns do.

I would never feed unlimited pellets it would lead to so many problems, for a start they would completly ignore their hay and end up obese!:?

No way! Obie needs to loose weight and with Pie's gut issues she is only on 5 (yes FIVE!) pellets soaked in water a day.

I had a pair who used to have unlimited hay and unlimited pellets because of ill health, and it worked and helped but the amount of excess cecals was high.

This pair did not ignore their hay, and eventually balanced their diet themselves and both were underweight.

ETA- I did select no though, because now all my bunnies are on very limited pellets.

No I did when I very first got B and C and didnt know any better but they didnt eat any hay then

Unlimited hay, handful of weeds from garden, unlimited grass during the day but only a handful of pellets per bonded pair twice a day.

i don't feed snowball unlimited pellets

however, i do feed more pellets than most people on here would suggest i should x

Tulip is on unlimited Science Selective, fresh veg and Tesco's value muesli mix (I know it is disgusting, but she loves it and needs all the help she can get because...)

She is a very poorly bun. She has extensive scar tissue on her lungs and always breaths very heavily. (and don't worry, she sees a super rabbit savvy vet:D)

If she was on the hay and limited pellets diet, she would have starved to death by now.

All my others get half a table spoon of pellets and two different types of fresh plus fresh hay twice a day:)

ETA, to those who say never, sometimes with a poorly bun you have to otherwise they would starve. But I agree a healthy bun should never be fed unlimited pellets:)

Last edited:
No. they all have unlimited hay but none have unlimited pellets. The weight problem bunnies have extra meals which include junior/dwarf pellets but also root veg which is good for weight loss. we also use baby food and porridge if really necessary.

Timmy was fed unlimited pellets before he came to us and ultimately it destroyed his bladder from the build up of excessive calcium and was the reason he was eventually pts sleep :cry:

No. they all have unlimited hay but none have unlimited pellets. The weight problem bunnies have extra meals which include junior/dwarf pellets but also root veg which is good for weight loss. we also use baby food and porridge if really necessary.

Timmy was fed unlimited pellets before he came to us and ultimately it destroyed his bladder from the build up of excessive calcium and was the reason he was eventually pts sleep :cry:

She went off of porridge, but I agree it did help her put weight on when she liked it:roll:

Tulips wee is always super clear, was Timmy's wee chalky?

I have found carrots didn't help Tulip at all. But she is really fussy. Some weeks she likes her pellets dry some times wet and so on:lol:

Tulip is on unlimited Science Selective, fresh veg and Tesco's value muesli mix (I know it is disgusting, but she loves it and needs all the help she can get because...)

She is a very poorly bun. She has extensive scar tissue on her lungs and always breaths very heavily. (and don't worry, she sees a super rabbit savvy vet:D)

If she was on the hay and limited pellets diet, she would have starved to death by now.

All my others get half a table spoon of pellets and two different types of fresh plus fresh hay twice a day:)

ETA, to those who say never, sometimes with a poorly bun you have to otherwise they would starve. But I agree a healthy bun should never be fed unlimited pellets:)

We were in this situation with Smokey, and although Milly did get overweight she lost it after Smokey passed away. There was a thread discussing something like this at the time but it was about 3 years ago.

She went off of porridge, but I agree it did help her put weight on when she liked it:roll:

Tulips wee is always super clear, was Timmy's wee chalky?

I have found carrots didn't help Tulip at all. But she is really fussy. Some weeks she likes her pellets dry some times wet and so on:lol:

When Timmy arrived his wee was thick like toothpaste with sand in it :cry::cry: It had been left so long it damaged the nerves in his bladder until it couldn't empty.

unlimited hay and a few pellets in the morning only. some fresh herbs or veg at night, not much though, and less if they've been in the garden nomming grass.

Back