• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minimum space for 1 small bun?

Just wondering what the minimum space is for one rabbit. I know that it's a 6 x 2 hutch with 6 x 4 run for 2 which is 36 square feet.

So it can't be that big for one, it must be less? I know bigger is better but just wondering what absolute minimum should be....

With my new set up, Blossom will have 36 square feet but not as in a 6 x 2 hutch with 6 x 4 run...

It will be 7 x 4 run with 24 hour access to a 4 x 2 hutch. Is that ok then? :)

With my new set up, Blossom will have 36 square feet but not as in a 6 x 2 hutch with 6 x 4 run...

It will be 7 x 4 run with 24 hour access to a 4 x 2 hutch. Is that ok then? :)

I would be happy with that to me its the 24hour access bit that is so important buns are most active generally when we are just waking up or going to sleep

That (6'x2' hutch etc.) would be the minimum for one or two rabbits. The idea is that provides enough space for a reasonable number of hops, for toys and equipment etc. Having one rabbit doesn't mean they can have less as they still move the same amount as have the same toy/equipment needs, it's just two rabbits can share she they don't require much more.

is it? :? Well that messes everything up! :roll:

With hutches I generally hear 6x2x2 for two medium sized buns, the 'absolute must run size' always seems to change though :roll: I'd be happy with a 5x2x2 hutch, or even 4x2x2 if there was a very large run attached, you know what's best for your rabbits though, if you think she has enough room to run about then stick with it :)

Yes, I agree, if you have the floor space overall then you can muck about with the hutch proportion a bit. There isn't a massive amount of difference between a sheltered section of run and the living area of a hutch.

Is the run tall? If so pop a shelf in and you've added the 2'x2' you've taken off the hutch.

Yes, I agree, if you have the floor space overall then you can muck about with the hutch proportion a bit. There isn't a massive amount of difference between a sheltered section of run and the living area of a hutch.

Is the run tall? If so pop a shelf in and you've added the 2'x2' you've taken off the hutch.

It will be an aviary. :) So yes 6ft high :D Thanks, I may add a shelf in. :thumb:

It will be a 12ft x 7ft aviary and I am sectioning off 4 x 7ft for her. The other 3 will have the rest of the aviary (8ft x 7ft) and their 7 x 5 shed. I can be flexible with Blossom's space though, just don't want to go too small for the trio. :)

I can't see a rabbit running laps around in anything smaller than 6ft x 6ft, which is why I consider it to be the minimum. And I mean properly running at full pelt, not just hopping about or the odd twist. Space inside a hutch won't allow them to run around properly.

I can't see a rabbit running laps around in anything smaller than 6ft x 6ft, which is why I consider it to be the minimum. And I mean properly running at full pelt, not just hopping about or the odd twist. Space inside a hutch won't allow them to run around properly.

My buns run around in a 7 x 5 which is 1 square foot smaller. :) But it will soon be 8 x 7 :D

This isn't really full pelt but this was Jasper once running in his run. :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thqFGETo-KE&feature=channel_video_title

Another option (depending on your buns personality) would be to make it flexible. Have the barrier hinged (or similar) and that would allow you to lock one lot in the shed whilst the other had an hour or so with the whole thing - and vis versa. Some buns would object to the smell, though if they are living next to each other anyway - its less likely to bother them.

I'd personally say a 6x4 enclosure indoors or outdoors if the avairy is covered a 4ft cage would be okay in the summer as a hide, but in winter, this would need to be increased. There are only really a few summer months though, so it would be worth starting off at the larger size.

I'd personally say a 6x4 enclosure indoors or outdoors if the avairy is covered a 4ft cage would be okay in the summer as a hide, but in winter, this would need to be increased. There are only really a few summer months though, so it would be worth starting off at the larger size.

well my aim is to bond her with the other three this summer, so fingers crossed she will bond and have a 7 x 5ft shed with them with a huge 12ft x 7ft run attached. :) If she doesn't bond then I will have to invest in a larger hutch but for now as it will hopefully only be temporary I am making do with what I have as the aviary itself is going to be very expensive and I have a incisor removal op to pay for, I don't have enough money to pay out £100+ for a hutch.

Another option (depending on your buns personality) would be to make it flexible. Have the barrier hinged (or similar) and that would allow you to lock one lot in the shed whilst the other had an hour or so with the whole thing - and vis versa. Some buns would object to the smell, though if they are living next to each other anyway - its less likely to bother them.

That's a great idea thanks :) Well I am only using large puppy panels to block off her area so I will be able to move them easily. :)

Back