• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike and Rearguard

Janey

Warren Veteran
I know many people don't like rear guard because of the chemicals etc but I have used it the past few years.

Poppy is a house bunny and due to dental issues (I presume), has always had a sticky bum. She eats very little hay and has too many pellets and veg because she loses weight if she doesn't. It's not all the time, just seems to be excess caecs so long after pellets at breakfast and dinner.

The last couple of years I have asked the vets to shave her bottom and have then applied rear guard, however, is this effective because it doesn't have anything to stick to? Should I just do one or the other and if so which?

And also, I have Peter now, should I rearguard him too because he is with Poppy even though i've never (touch wood) seen his little bottom anything but as white as the snow :lol:?

Has the vet checked Poppy's teeth?
Just wondering because before I knew about his dental problems Pipkin would get sticky caecals sometimes too. They stopped completely after he had his first dental. I guess he must have started eating more hay.

If you are having to clean her bum when she gets sticky poops then the rearguard would wash off anyway so it may not be worth doing...

Yes, she is a dental bunny, has had x-rays, dentals the lot, we are currently managing an incisor problem but she has bad molars too.

I don't actually have to wash her because she does clean it herself, to be honest I only really notice it when I'm at home all day on a weekend and I notice it on the newspaper in her dog crates. I sometimes need to brush her bottom area because she has thick fur but haven't had to wash her for a long time and when I did it was only rarely.

It's sad how dental issues can cause so many problems :(

Back