• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had A Huge Breakthrough With Mimi!

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
When I adopted Mimi a year and 3 months ago, she was an emotional wreck :cry: The rescue told me she had been mistreated by her previous owners :evil::evil::evil: and as a result was terrified of humans. She would stamp, panic, hide whenever myself and OH were in the same room :cry:
I decided to take the hands off approach with her, never handling her unless necessary, not trying to stroke her. Some would disagree with this method in favour of getting nevous buns used to handling, but I just felt that as she had been through so much she deserved to just be 'her' and live a stress free life.
She has made slow but steady progress ever since. She likes being in the same room as us and has no problem hanging out flopped at our feet now, but still HATES being stroked or touched in anyway........
...UNTIL RECENTLY! About a week ago I was stroking Timmy who was sitting right next to her at the time. She sniffed and nudged me hand so I gave her a nose rub and when she relaxed a proper stroke! This is unheard of, she'd usually walk off if my hand got too close!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
Every day since I have stroked her atleast twice a day, if she walks away I dont pursue it but alot of the time she settles down and even tooth purrs :shock::love:
I am sooooooo pleased, I love my girl so much and now I feel that she finally trusts me and I can have physical contact with her :love: To be honest I never thought we'd get to this point :D

113_0078.jpg

Love you Fuzzy Face :love:

When I adopted Mimi a year and 3 months ago, she was an emotional wreck :cry: The rescue told me she had been mistreated by her previous owners :evil::evil::evil: and as a result was terrified of humans. She would stamp, panic, hide whenever myself and OH were in the same room :cry:
I decided to take the hands off approach with her, never handling her unless necessary, not trying to stroke her. Some would disagree with this method in favour of getting nevous buns used to handling, but I just felt that as she had been through so much she deserved to just be 'her' and live a stress free life.
She has made slow but steady progress ever since. She likes being in the same room as us and has no problem hanging out flopped at our feet now, but still HATES being stroked or touched in anyway........
...UNTIL RECENTLY! About a week ago I was stroking Timmy who was sitting right next to her at the time. She sniffed and nudged me hand so I gave her a nose rub and when she relaxed a proper stroke! This is unheard of, she'd usually walk off if my hand got too close!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
Every day since I have stroked her atleast twice a day, if she walks away I dont pursue it but alot of the time she settles down and even tooth purrs :shock::love:
I am sooooooo pleased, I love my girl so much and now I feel that she finally trusts me and I can have physical contact with her :love: To be honest I never thought we'd get to this point :D

113_0078.jpg

Love you Fuzzy Face :love:

:love:

That's about the time length it took for Poppy to let us stroke her too. She still now only allows it in certain places on her terms when she asks for it but I TOTALLY understand your elation as it is such a breakthrough when you have such a psychologically damaged bun. We have had Poppy now for 3 years... some buns have a very slow rehabilitation, it definitely took a year or two for her to allow us to stroke her like Mimi. Well done you :D:wave:

ETA I am an advocate for taking things at bunny's own pace too.

Thankyou everyone, Im overjoyed :D

:love:

That's about the time length it took for Poppy to let us stroke her too. She still now only allows it in certain places on her terms when she asks for it but I TOTALLY understand your elation as it is such a breakthrough when you have such a psychologically damaged bun. We have had Poppy now for 3 years... some buns have a very slow rehabilitation, it definitely took a year or two for her to allow us to stroke her like Mimi. Well done you :D:wave:

ETA I am an advocate for taking things at bunny's own pace too.

Its wonderful isnt it :love: I think Mimi will be the same as Poppy in that she will only accept strokes on her own terms, but it means the world to me. I always worried that she was scared of me, and as we live in such close quarters I worried about her stress levels. I think she is much more content now she has got to the point where Im no longer a threat :D

:D that's fab, there is nothing like a bunny breakthrough. It's taken nearly a year for Jasmine and Daphne to lose their nervousness around us

Back