• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit Help ... Accomodation Pics Post - 35

abi2047

Mama Doe
Hiya everyone, so me and my family went to Jolllyes as i've been wanting to go there since it opened a few weeks ago. We were looking at the rabbits and mum has decided to let me get Riley a friend. It would be coming out of my birthday money and i will be paying for it to get spayed/neutured etc. The only problem is we don't know whether to get a female or male. Riley is already neutured but we dont know how he's going to react with a new rabbit as he hasnt seen one since he left the litter.

Last edited:
Why not go to a rescue it will work out cheaper as the bun will come neutered vaccs etc and they will probably bond for you :D

Male/Female bonds are usually the easiest but again a rescue could best advise on that depending on the rabbits personality

Also if you get a bun from Jolleys you will need to get it neutered and keep them apart for 4-6 weeks so you will need two seperate lots of housing

How about getting a rabbit from a rescue ?
You'd be helping a rabbit there more
And the rescue would help Riley to choose a companion preferably a female.
:wave:

its great your mum is letting you get riley a companion, you will need to get said bunny neutered and then give her 4-5weeks to allow her hormones to settle before you can introduce them this will also stop any burst stitches it might be better to get a freind for riley from a rescue purely because of the following, 1) no quarrintine needed, 2) already been vaccinated and neutered so no waiting around, 3) advice on which personalitys the bunnys have 4) can allow riley to do some speed dating and choose his own freind 5) if it doesnt work out for any reason can be returned to rescue, 6) they can bond for you or at least give advice in bonding, 7) it gives an unwanted bunny a new loving home. xxx

its great your mum is letting you get riley a companion, you will need to get said bunny neutered and then give her 4-5weeks to allow her hormones to settle before you can introduce them this will also stop any burst stitches it might be better to get a freind for riley from a rescue purely because of the following, 1) no quarrintine needed, 2) already been vaccinated and neutered so no waiting around, 3) advice on which personalitys the bunnys have 4) can allow riley to do some speed dating and choose his own freind 5) if it doesnt work out for any reason can be returned to rescue, 6) they can bond for you or at least give advice in bonding, 7) it gives an unwanted bunny a new loving home. xxx

:)

To answer your question, a female would probably be best but there is no guarentee they will bond and I don't think the pet shop will let you take the rabbit back if it doesn't work

Rescue rabbits will come neutered and vaccinated, and they can bond the rabbits for you or let you choose one Riley takes a liking to

If you don't want to go down a rescue route, please go to a reuptable breeder rather than a pet shop. Pet shop rabbits often come from large scale breeders, think back yard breeder or puppy farm, by buying one of their rabbits you're just encouraging them to breed more. A lot of people also have health problems with rabbits from these large scale breeders, so it could end up more expensive in the long run. With a good breeder, you can get background information on the rabbits. They should also let you take Riley along and see which rabbits he takes a liking to, and if it doesn't work out they should take the bun back

:thumb: What I was gonna say.

if you went to a rescue you wouldn't need a seperate accomodation for a while, therefor you're saving about £100 (the amount it would cost for a temporary 6ft hutch and run for the bun for atleast 8 weeks) then you save 70-90 quid on a spay, and 60-80 quid on vaccs, the bond will definately work aswell and you can pick according to personality.(If the bond didn't work with a pet shop bun then I doubt they'd take it back?) :thumb:
Anyway, female/male bonds generally work best. :wave:

If it wasn't for my dad I'd be getting a rescue bun, but I won't rant on abt that on your thread,
lol-052.GIF

anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do,just out of nosieness, what breed are the petshop bunnys?:)
X x x

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why would you go for a male? :)
x x x

Because I have 3 males and I think I may like males personality better. Plus I get nervous about getting them fixed and feel more comfortable with neuters than spays. Girls can be more territorial, though it isn't as bad when they are spayed, and I have heard that males are more friendly, though it depends on the rabbits, but in general they supposedly are.

Not to say I don't like girls, I had only girls (except for the brief time I had Harry) until I was 12. And Sunny (girl) was one of the sweetest things. I think a male would fit in better with my males, anyway. From reading a lot of bonding threads on here there have been some bondings (Puppyjess is one of them, I believe) where the girls were more difficult to bond (a group bond of 4).

I would get a female.

I agree that it would be cheaper to get a rescue bun :) PM me if you want any bonding advice :wave:

Because I have 3 males and I think I may like males personality better. Plus I get nervous about getting them fixed and feel more comfortable with neuters than spays. Girls can be more territorial, though it isn't as bad when they are spayed, and I have heard that males are more friendly, though it depends on the rabbits, but in general they supposedly are.

Not to say I don't like girls, I had only girls (except for the brief time I had Harry) until I was 12. And Sunny (girl) was one of the sweetest things. I think a male would fit in better with my males, anyway. From reading a lot of bonding threads on here there have been some bondings (Puppyjess is one of them, I believe) where the girls were more difficult to bond (a group bond of 4).

I've had way more luck bonding girls than boys :wave: I think it depends on their individual personalities but I do think for a straightforward pair a boy/girl pairing will be easier :)

That's awesome that your mum is letting you get him a friend. :)

I don't think it really matters what sex the new bunny is. People say that a male/female pair is the best but there are loads of people with two males. Neutering is a much smaller operation than spaying and is usually a bit cheaper too.

Just remember you are going to need a small neutral space to bond them in. If you can set a pen up in your bedroom that works the best because you can sleep with them to make sure they don't fight. :wave:

There are loads of gorgeous rabbits at the Ipswich RSPCA branch - Sky-O has a few that she is fostering at the moment. Quite a few are in the RIN section, including this little girl, called Squeak:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277278&page=2

There's also Tilly:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272519

and Cherry:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282959

also Chalk:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277301
:love:

Oh my goodness, they're all so cute! I think I'd be torn between Squeak and Tilly though... :love:

ETA: I'd go for a wifey bun too :wave:

Ah okay then, awsome. I've never had any girl buns so I wouldn't know. :)
The idea of a spay scares me too, just had Sox neutered 2 days ago and was petrified :oops:
x x x

I would love to go for a rescue bun but I don't think my mum would let me as I don't think they'll find my accomodation suitable and the fact that I don't have a run. :(

I would love to go for a rescue bun but I don't think my mum would let me as I don't think they'll find my accomodation suitable and the fact that I don't have a run. :(

If thats the case maybe you should look into upgrading your accomodation before getting any new bun rescues have the criteria for a reason. Also you will need somewhere to keep a petshop bun while she recovers from a spay

Didn't Grace give you a 6ft hutch. You could get the run (with the money you'd save from neutering and the £100 it'd cost for a temporary hutch) and then they'd be happy with it. :wave:

You can't just plonk her in with Riley and expect them to be fine. If you were to get a petshop bun then you'd need another hutch for her, to live in until she's been spayed and recovered. Getting a rescue to bond for you illiminates the need for an extra hutch.

I would definitely get a female. I'm shocked that people are so quick to suggest a male, to someone with no bonding experience (not meant in a derogatory way at all, Abi.:)). As a rule, a male/female bond is easiest, and a rescue could help you find your perfect pair.

If a rescue isn't happy with someone's set up it's usually for a reason, so try not to let it get you down. All you'd have to do is improve it. :wave:

Last edited:
Back