• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel like I'm letting the Leo and Lois down.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry for another woe is me thread but it's something that's been playing on my mind recently.

Despite having Lois for nearly a year now she still thumps and runs away from me. I treat her exactly the same as all the others and hoped with time and patience she would come round. She was a rescue bun with little history behind her all they just knew she'd been passed from home to home and that her second to last owner had mistreated her in some way.

Her and Leo have been bonded for the best part of a year now and although they seem fine most of the time they still have an odd little tussle with fur pulling and circling.

They're nowhere near as affectionate as A&B who follow me around, groom me and seem genuinely excited by my presence.

I just feel a bit disheartened at the moment and have done for sometime now. I know not all bunnies are snuggle bunnies nor people rabbits but I sometimes feel that Lois is genuinely scared by me. The way she scarpers away and thumps her foot if I even approach the cage. She'll sometime let me give her an odd stroke or greet me for food but them times are few and far between.

I've thought maybe rehoming them to someone who's more experienced than me but the thought genuinely breaks my heart :(

Has anyone got any advice on things I could do to try and tame her? Or anything I can do to calm her down? Or just any tips in general?

Hey,

For me :)
Whilst I was bonding Jack and Lucky I was with them and Jack doesn't get frightened by me because he used to always see me and realise I'm no threat.

Now they're in the attic when I come in they both run up to me in their pen.
I used to stand in their pen [for 10 mins each time when I went to check] so Jack could get used to me and it works :)

I took 'Evil' Anne as she was known on here but she is just Anne now and as never been evil. Anne very rarely lets us stroke her and she runs away at every opportunity but she is a very happy bun. I just put her ways down to being her and hope in time she will come around. Anne apparently was beaten and then when she was at Elaines she was very aggressive and Elaine said her vet wanted to put her to sleep.
I think if you were to rehome her then she would probably get even more confused and frustrated. Some rabbits never change but accept them for who they are and not what they will or won't do. You are probably just a bit down yourself at the moment so everything feels worse when you feel better you probably won't even be thinking along these lines as you are a good bunny mum:D

I thought Lilou was still scared of me because everytime I go near her she hides under the hutch and just peeps her nose out. Since she had her myxi vac I've barely been able to touch her, but the vet said she was really relaxed on the table and apparently she has dogs with a higher heart rate! So I guess she just genuinely doesnt want anything o do with me or to give me the chance to pick her up lol. I@t's just frustrating the behaviour is rubbing off on Benji.

A and E do that sometimes too, they are just being bunnies.

Can you spend time just sat by their hutch just being there? Maybe hand feed them too?

Back