• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected litter

milly100

Alpha Buck
I will start from the beginning.
I have 4 rabbits, a bonded pair and a seperate male who was neutered 3 weeks ago and an unspayed female with the plan of bonding them in a few weeks.
Well Charlie the male is a bit of an escape artist no matter what I do and he got in with Poppy unspayed female and just my luck she has had a litter of kits on Wednesday night!!
Mom seems to be doing very well and she is feeding the kits apart from tonight when I checked on them there were 2 babies that weren't in the nest with the others. I stroked Mom to get her scent on me and moved the 2 babies into the nest with Mom Im hoping she is feeding them all as they looked smaller than the lot in the nest.
I will have to start looking for homes for the babies as I really can't have any more rabbits, well definately not another 7 if they all survive. I have read alot of good websites on baby rabbits.

i know nothing about babies bunnies but bumping this up so someone with the appropriate experience in rearing baby bunnies can give you advice.

sue:wave:

The babies are now 7 days old and are coming on great. Unfortunately 3 of the babies did die. The 4 that are still alive are getting big and have started to get their fur. I have definate homes for 2 of them.
I will keep this post updated on their progress.

aww sorry to hear about the ones that didn't make it. But glad these 4 are doing well. What kind of rabbit are they? Any pics??

I will get some pics posted tomorrow. They aren't very good as they are taking on my phone.
Mum is a dutch and Dad is a wildie cross.
2 of the babies are totally black, 1 baby is like Mum and 1 baby is brown/beige and white.
I need to clean out the hay in their nest tomorrow as I think its getting a little damp. They aren't lying on it as she has them lying on a fleecy pet carrier liner.

Back