• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

good things for dental buns

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
what do you feed, ive been out and got larger carrots for mabel to munch on :lol: locksley not impressed he wanted his chardenay carrot as it fits perfectly in his mouth to carry around like a bone :lol:

Really, really minimal pellets and mostly hay and grass. Cutting down the pellets has reallhy cut down the time in between dentals. They only had less than an eggcup each, but having two or three pellets a day works much better.

I would probably cut out the carrot, at least to a very small ammount because its so full of sugar she will be full up on it - the size of the carrot makes no difference i dont think.

I would concentrate on feeding dried grass, various hays - try to get course hay. I would also get things like blackberry leaves, dandelions, etc and dry them yourself, or buy the dried packs :) the grinding of those roughages will help keep her teeth down, something like a carrot wont do that.

I give my rabbits logs and they strip the bark, as well as the above things. They have minimal pellets and i mix hay with all the roughage etc and then add the pellets to mix so they have to forage as opposed to eating from a bowl.

thats my advice :wave:

she is constantly munching hay and has the herb mix one right now, and various wooden toys and sticks etc

Tons o' hay. Nice and long and stalky so she has to really put effort into chewing it.

When Sorrel had molar spurs, I cut her pellets down to about 12 a day, plus leafy veg only, and lots of hay and dried herbs. Her dentals went from roughly every 6 weeks to every 12 weeks.

Plantain is very high in fibre I believe, as is echinacea (coneflower), you can get both of these in dried form.

Carrots and fruits are not good for dental buns (too much sugar. A mass array of hays and Oxbow timothy bunny basics pellets are great for dental buns. (Obviously less pellets the better)

Otherwise leafy greens! and hay hay hay!

In all honesty I would stop carrots altogether, except literally a few peelings or something once every so often. :wave:

Oh no! I feed my dental bunny carrot :( I will stop!

I just think its so sugary that it fills buns up and then they are less likely to eat other things that are better for them. A small bit every now and then wont do any harm but personally i would avoid it as part of their regular veg. But thats just me - other people may have different advice :)

:wave:

Spenser doesn't like carrot, so he wouldn't miss them. :roll: His jaw alignment isn't perfect so I'm trying to keep his pellets down, but I don't think he'll ever be a hay monster. He likes apple sticks, but only if I hold them steady for him. See my siggy for him nomming one. ;)

been and got a bale of hay from farm today, buns now munching way through all that :lol: she;s a gannit and ahs no problems with eating anything given to her

My bridge bun Chester was a dental bun so I try so hard to keep my girls interested in hay to keep their teeth down. Luckily one is the ultimate hay monster, but the other two are starting to become very fussy!

I've found hay is not very good quality at the moment and fairly soft, so have been letting them have a bit of that really long thick straw aswell as I think it makes them use their back teeth when it's like that. Whether or not the handful I give them each does enough I don't know, but it makes me feel better that they are using the back teeth!

Back