• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just found fur all over the rabbits run??

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I check on the buns when they're in their run often so it must be recent, just found clumps of fur all over it. Not too much but a noticeable amount. It's not from a fight I'm pretty sure because the buns were acting fine, sat with eachother like usual. Is it just from their moutling? I've never seen clumps of fur from what they've moulted before though. I checked both of them and they are fine, it's hard to tell who's fur it is, I think it's most likely Beano's and she's having a bigger moult than Gordon but it could be his belly fur. Should I be worried about anything?

Hmm, I wouldn't be too worried because as they are outside they probably had big thick winter coats so there's more to moult.
I'm probably being completely thick :oops: I'm not really sure though, sorry.
xxx

I have had exactly the same...twice now.
I also check them all the time when they are out, first time I went into panic mode and expected to find them covered in blood, checked them both thoughroughly and nothing at all.

Second time I went out and they looked chilled again, no sign of a fight. Was about 2 weeks inbetween both episodes.

I can only presume they might have had a crazy 5 minutes that helped them disloge lots of moult, maybe they had been rolling?

I would be suspecting that some chasing has gone on, other than it being specifically about moulting, to be honest.

You can run your hands over their fur backwards, and looks for the bald patches where the fur has come from.

If they are comfortable now, then I wouldn't worry too much.

I hope they haven't been chasing :( They've never done anything like that before. I just saw Beano groom herself and she plucked her stomach fur whilst grooming it, this could be what she was doing in the run. Is she just removing her moulting fur? There's no bald patches were the fur's come from but her stomach, as well as her back is looking a bit raggy because of the moulting :?

I've never seen anybun doing that for moulting fur. When they pull it out like that from themselves, I've only seen them eating it, but theoretically they could drop it from their mouths.

Does what you saw her pull out compare to what's in the run?

If its chasing its not necessarily a big deal because that's part of the bunny language so don't worry too much, just keep an eye.

I've never seen anybun doing that for moulting fur. When they pull it out like that from themselves, I've only seen them eating it, but theoretically they could drop it from their mouths.

Does what you saw her pull out compare to what's in the run?
If its chasing its not necessarily a big deal because that's part of the bunny language so don't worry too much, just keep an eye.

I looked but she'd only pulled out a little bit which was less of a clump and had gone to more like seperate hairs if you know what I mean, it did match most of what was in the run yes. She's a harlequin and has different shades on her stomach and some match the fur on Gordon's stomach so it's hard to tell. Thankyou for all your replies.

I had an incident like this a few weeks ago, I had been out and literally within 5 mins (I just ran inside to answer door to neighbour) - came back out & there was fur everywhere!

Closer inspection I noticed Pips ears had been nipped (although she is usually the one who chases Rusty & has recently been mounting him when I put the grass run somewhere new - think she is trying to claim it as hers). Luckily they were fine, I did go to the vet to be sure - but turns out they were just surface cuts and the peace was back so both were happy (infact 5 mins later Rusty was grooming the bloody ears).

I often find a clump or two of fur in the run, and its usually as a result of chasing and Pip latching onto Rustys back fur or vice versa. As long as they seem happy enough and are not harming each other, and overall the bond seems Ok I wouldnt worry x

Back