• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stages of GI stasis?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Are there stages to stasis?

EG is there officially a routine of what happens and the stages a buns body goes through during and after?

EG what happens first? Low output or low input...I assumed input as the gut would still perhaps pass what's at the end?

I only ask as Biscuit's not right and it all seems very similar to before ... But he IS eating and we have output but its not 'right' and his behaviour is iffy.

Vets been contacted and we are monitoring.

This has been since Friday AM so likely during the night.

Fingers crossed I havent experienced it too often. I know thumps_ and Prettylupin have done some research into it might be worth making sure they see this thread :D

In our experience it seems to be both low input and smaller poops or generally being fussy when it comes to what they choose to eat.

My experience has been to recognise the behaviour as well as food input. Totti, Brody and Kiki have all had bouts of stasis and the giveaway for me has been their quiet behaviour. I have taken them to the Vets with symptoms as vague as "they're not themselves, are withdrawn, just want to hide" and each time it's been stasis. But another trigger has been the reluctance to attack the food bowl.

It's too hard to go by output when the poorly bun in one of a trio.

I think that as far as the "stages" are concerned, each bunny is different & we get to know our own buns.
There are so many causes of stasis. I think that for many buns several factors which can cause gut slow down often come into play in short succession & a final straw breaks the camel's back.

Like luvabun I know that Thumper's not well by his behaviour, & now by how he changes his diet, before there are any other signs.
If I say "Hi Thumps" & an ear doesn't twitch, he's off colour. If I say "Nooky?" & an ear doesn't twitch, there's something seriously wrong!:lol:

Back