• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

junior diet

When i started out i used my RSPCA pet guide to help with diet :oops:
:lol:

Ive sinced realised most of it is a load of tosh! :roll: "Feed young rabbits unlimited pellets/mix, only introduce veg from 12 weeks"

How much of this is true? I just want some advice on feeding kits 8+ weeks. I imagined very small amounts of veg, maybe introduce a new one each week? I would have fed a table spoon of junior pellets a day too.

Does this sound about right for a nethie?

Any other advice would be very much welcomed :wave:

Apart from it missing hay the rest of it sounds exactly the same as I was told from various places
Veg from 12 weeks a small amount introduced at a time

To be honest, there is so much differing advice that its a case of reading as much as possible and making informed choices.

I personally suggest to people not to introduce new fresh until about 4 months old unless mum has had it and the kit has grown up with it. Their gut is so vulnerable that its too much of a risk. I have done it earlier, but only with a very ill bunny who had nothing to lose. Ironically, grass saved her life, I reckon.

The unlimited pellets is an area for debate, and some recommend it, some don't. The theory behind it is based on growing and ensuring they don't struggle in that respect. Some people say you risk stunting their hay eating potential, but I've never had this happen with mine.

Some people say an alfalfa pellet until 6 months, and alfalfa hay until 6 months and then wean over to grass pellets and grass hay. I'm not a fan of that piece of advice though, mine get grass hay all the way through.

I guess what I'm saying is that its not 'tosh' as such, it just differs from views of others, which will happen will all info; there will always be differing views.

Apart from it missing hay the rest of it sounds exactly the same as I was told from various places
Veg from 12 weeks a small amount introduced at a time

I didnt mention hay as its not really a varyable, they get mountains of the stuff :lol:

Thanks for the advice. :wave:

Last edited:
Back