• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flicking Red Urine/Blood? - 1 Year Old Un-neutered Male Rabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

brab

New Kit
Hi All

Im posting on behalf of my fiance who has a rabbit, 1 year old male un-neutered flemish (we think).

We have a dog who he likes to mark when he goes near his hutch, and in the last 2 weeks the rabbit has started flicking bright & dark red urine, ive taken a photograph for you to look at. We have read many places that it isnt something to be worried about, but thought by posting a picture someone might be able to give more insight into wether it looks normal or not. He's had no change in diet, is on wagg rabbit food and has a sweetcorn on the cob now and again along with dandelion leaves bought from local pet store. Aside from us being worried about him its making an horrible mess of his cage and surrounding areas too, he is regularly exercised in the garden for hours at a time.

rabbitz.jpg

Thank you for any advice/information anyone can give.

Regards

With your rabbit not being neutered it's spraying but I would be taking him straight to a vet with urine that colour :(

I'd also get him neutered it will stop him spraying in his hutch and the dog

With your rabbit not being neutered it's spraying but I would be taking him straight to a vet with urine that colour :(

I'd also get him neutered it will stop him spraying in his hutch and the dog

This!

Could be a UTI, or something more sinister :(

Poor bunster.

Vet's definitely. Corn is also not good for a rabbit unfortunately and can cause a lot of intestinal problems.

It definitely looks like blood to me, and he could be in a lot of pain.

Rabbit do funny coloured wee if they have eaten carrots or other red coloured vey/fruit etc. But that does look sinister also there are white stains aswell on the wood work which i think could be to much calcium in the urine.
Vet check needed.

I dont think it is haematuria (blood in urine). It is probably a result of plant pigments (eating lots of grass, dandelion leaves etc)

However, I agree that corn is not a suitable food for a Rabbit so I would definitely remove that from his diet :)

I would also not be happy with a dog being allowed close proximity to a Rabbit. Especially one in a hutch who therefore has no-where to hide. A Dog could give a Rabbit a nasty bite through the wire hutch front.

Getting your Rabbit castrated would stop the spraying, improve his quality of life and enable him to be bonded with another RABBIT companion.

I dont think its blood either.
I agree with Jane, probably down to eating certain plant stuff.
I had an un neutered boy who was exactly like this.. I thought the shed had been sprayed with blood.. (it hadnt)
Obviously if youre still concerned have a word with vet

I agree that it doesn;t look like blood in the urine. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of blood in urine in the passed couple of weeks and it didn;t look like this at all.

I always advise the kitchen roll test. Dab a white piece in the wee if you are worried. Normally it comes up orange on the roll if it is pigment, if it is blood you will know straight away.

The puddle in the bottom left looks very dark though, definitely blood like to me. But you guys have the experience with this sort of thing, but that bottom left puddle...:shock: It looks like thick syrup!

The puddle in the bottom left looks very dark though, definitely blood like to me. But you guys have the experience with this sort of thing, but that bottom left puddle...:shock: It looks like thick syrup!

That's the puddle I don't like either, it's very thick and looks almost like it had started clotting :? The other puddles look a different consistency.

That's the puddle I don't like either, it's very thick and looks almost like it had started clotting :? The other puddles look a different consistency.

All can be seen in 'normal' Rabbit urine :)

If the OP remains concerned then I'd take the Rabbit to a Vet along with a fresh urine sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back