• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had to seperate :( so upset, its my fault

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
:cry::cry:

woke up this morning to find the baby rabbit had a slice of the side of its ear missing :cry:

If only I had seperated them last night! but I new 4 weeks was to young :( I thought 1 more night to see how it goes :cry:

I can't stop crying! I feel physically sick and so guilty, it must of hurt it so much :( and now im watching a baby bun run around cryin for its mum knowing its not going to get mum :cry:

Going to keep baby in the cage above mum, and out of site etc! and let them have seperate floor time! Matilda is acting like nothings happend, like she cudn't careless, but i no it's not her fault:(

The ear looks completly healed! no blood or anything, soo guessing it didnt hit any blood vessels! have put some fast healing cream in it anyway!

what do I do in terms of feeding? kitten milk or something??

I agree with putting baby next to mum if you can. I would also give baby a snugglesafe, and a cuddly toy to snuggle with too.

If the baby was mine I would not supplement with milk. supplementing after the gut has made the change to adult gut nearly killed one of my fosters last year. They thrived far better without it, and Autumn who arrived at 3-4 weeks, was never supplemented and he thrived brilliantly.

Just provide everything exactly as she is used to.

Also, from all you said, I would likely have done what you did to try and squeeze out one more day. You did what you thought was best, which is all anyone can do.

It's not your fault, you weren't to know that this would happen and it's generally best to try and keep baby with mum unless you have to separate so you've done the right thing! Please don't beat yourself up about it x
Give both bunnies hugs and kisses from me and Buckley (Buckley loves the pictures of the baby, he comes sniffing at the screen at them)

xo

I agree with putting baby next to mum if you can. I would also give baby a snugglesafe, and a cuddly toy to snuggle with too.

If the baby was mine I would not supplement with milk. supplementing after the gut has made the change to adult gut nearly killed one of my fosters last year. They thrived far better without it, and Autumn who arrived at 3-4 weeks, was never supplemented and he thrived brilliantly.

Also, from all you said, I would likely have done what you did to try and squeeze out one more day. You did what you thought was best, which is all anyone can do.

^^This. Especially the last paragraph. Me too. Its so hard weighing up the risks for/against separation, I've just been through a similar sort of situation with a couple of fosters. Don't be too hard on yourself xx

Okay, so I shall do as i was origanlly going to do, have baby one side of the pen and tils the other, so they can still get nose to nose.

How long untill i can get Matilda spayed? Could I try and re-bond after Matilda is spayed, or wait untill baby is spayed/neuted x

Okay, so I shall do as i was origanlly going to do, have baby one side of the pen and tils the other, so they can still get nose to nose.

How long untill i can get Matilda spayed? Could I try and re-bond after Matilda is spayed, or wait untill baby is spayed/neuted x

Yes, that sounds a good idea.

With regards to the spay, see how Matilda does. It will be at least a week or two. I would advise waiting until the baby is fixed too though, otherwise you end up with the same situation with the babies hormones arrive.

Back