• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thanks to the forum being down...

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I discovered Nation Vaccination Month, and now have three vouchers for a discount price myxi vacc in May, and a free booster and health check in November:D

I looked at that but it didn't actually say how much discount you got :? I had no way of knowing if the participating practices were more expensive after the discount than other vets in the area. I didn't actually want to get them anywhere else but I wan'ted to know what I was missing!

That's great but you can only get it if your rabbit has not had their Myxi jab in 9 months. Mine are all done every 6 months.

That's great but you can only get it if your rabbit has not had their Myxi jab in 9 months. Mine are all done every 6 months.

I was looking too and noticed that. :( It's good for people who normally vaccinate yearly though. :)

Mine missed their last booster:oops:

*feels like an awful owner*

Dont feel like a bad owner :wave:

Ginger missed her last one too, due to her illness, and i still occasionally feel bad for not letting her have it, but its in her best interests not too as she wouldn't cope with it we doubt (we being the vet, some RU members and myself).

Things happen, the myxi vaccination doesnt just 'stop' working after 6 months :) It just loses its potency over time :wave:

I have downloaded a voucher for my sister but I don't understand it! :roll:

Why does the rabbit not have to have been vaccinated for 9 months? To be eligible you have to pay for it to be vaccinated in May to get a free one and health check-up in November.

Sorry to sound dumb!

Last edited:
Why does the rabbit not have to have been vaccinated for 9 months?

I think the idea is to encourage owners who have let the vaccinations lapse to have them done again - myxi jabs are every 6 mths in a lot of places (rather than helping out the people who already vaccinate regularly, which I can understand).

Similarly, the cat ones specify that the kitty hasn't been vaccinated in the last 18 mths and you get a full vaccination for the price of a booster.

Thanks! My sister hasn't had her rabbit mxyi done for 7 months. Maybe it is worth pretending they have never had one and just not bother taking the vaccination card - that way she will get her discount. ;)

I think it's kind of dumb that because my rabbit is under 9 months old I can't get discounted vaccs. Surely it's a better incentive if people who are up to date with vaccs also get the vouchers. Like a reward: well done for keeping your bunny's jabs up to date, keep up the good work with discounted vaccines.

Surely giving vouchers only to people overdue for vaccines is an incentive to stay overdue in future...

Sorry, I know I'm ranting but if it's national vaccination month surely everyone should be allowed to have discounted vaccinations?

Just printed 3 off, Tink, Jasp and Mischief are just due but Bloss got vaccinated 8 months ago not 9 so just going to pay full price for hers. :)

I'm a bad owner too, my buns only got vaccinated once last year but that was because the vet told us to... :(

Last edited:
Great thanks, my two new foster buns need done and I can guarantee they have never been done. A couple of days till May will give me a few more days to be certain they are not pregnant! Fab, thanks!

Surely it's a better incentive if people who are up to date with vaccs also get the vouchers. Like a reward: well done for keeping your bunny's jabs up to date, keep up the good work with discounted vaccines.

Surely giving vouchers only to people overdue for vaccines is an incentive to stay overdue in future...

Sorry, I know I'm ranting but if it's national vaccination month surely everyone should be allowed to have discounted vaccinations?

I think it's to promote vaccinations and try to get people who wouldn't bother spending the full amount in to the vet so the vet can talk to them about the importance of it and try and book another appointment.

People who vaccinate regularly obviously already know about vaccinations and care about their rabbits enough to get them done. It would use a huge amount of their budget to give discounts to us too meaning less money to promote rabbit welfare to people who need to hear it. :)

Surely though May is the completely wrong month, surely March would be better to cover the spring and summer.

I think it's to promote vaccinations and try to get people who wouldn't bother spending the full amount in to the vet so the vet can talk to them about the importance of it and try and book another appointment.

People who vaccinate regularly obviously already know about vaccinations and care about their rabbits enough to get them done. It would use a huge amount of their budget to give discounts to us too meaning less money to promote rabbit welfare to people who need to hear it. :)

Very good point :) Thank you xo

Just printed 3 off, Tink, Jasp and Mischief are just due but Bloss got vaccinated 8 months ago not 9 so just going to pay full price for hers. :)

I'm a bad owner too, my buns only got vaccinated once last year but that was because the vet told us to... :(

You're not a bad owner, you were going on vets advice. One of the vets where I go said Beano wasn't a case where she should be vaccinated every 6 months. I was like what with lots of wild rabbits living in fields around us, where I see them in my garden most days during spring/summer and some clearly have myxi :shock: This wasn't my usual rabbity vet though. I still get her done every 6 months, as with Gordon. But as others have said, immunity doesn't just stop, it will just give less protection over time.

Back