• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing the New Addition!

LilVicky

Warren Veteran
I would like to introduce you all to our newest addition to the family...

Jasper

Jasper is an African Grey Parrot. He arrived yesturday evening after we visited him that afternoon.
He was being rehomed because he attacked his previous owner's dog :( They were very sad to see him go, but they can come visit anytime and if things ever change they can ask for him back, we are 'fostering' him ;)

If anyone has any advice or tips on Greys, feel free to share!
He was a little stressed last night but seems better today, though he has done a couple of very high pitched screams/screach?

He doesnt have any toys :( and all his perches are dirty... So we are going to go out one day this week to buy him lots of toys :D And we are going to clean up his cage and put in more perches too!

He is quite the talker and whistler! He says quite a few things and whistles alot :D

Im going to stop blabbing on now and show you the handsome guy :love:

IMGP3799edit.jpg

IMGP3805edit.jpg

IMGP3807edit.jpg

IMGP3811edit.jpg

IMGP3813edit.jpg

He prefers men to women... and loves my dad! And has just let my brother stroke the back of his neck too.
I am hoping that he will eventually like me too... i will be around him most and ill be treating him too ;)

You lucky thing! I love Parrots, as in my heart of hearts I am a pirate.

What will you do with him when you go on holiday though? That is a big reason why I have never considered getting one, despite my love for them :love:

Thank you everyone :D

You lucky thing! I love Parrots, as in my heart of hearts I am a pirate.

What will you do with him when you go on holiday though? That is a big reason why I have never considered getting one, despite my love for them :love:

I dont go on holiday :( Well only 1 weekend a year... in my parents caravan! And then he can come with ;) My brother usually stays home and looks after the animals anyway, there is always someone home because of the pets :)

He has settled in very well now, he now sits on all of our shoulders :love:

SO cute!
Willow tries to eat like that thinking she's a real parrot, but then falls over because obviously she isn't :roll:

Wow, he's amazing! My family and I have always wanted aGrey, but I think we're better suited to small-medium sized parrots. I prefer them more anyway. Biggest I would probably ever get is conures... I don't think I'm comfortable with larger beaks after seeing the damage they can do to you! :oops:

What will you do with him when you go on holiday though? That is a big reason why I have never considered getting one, despite my love for them

I know people on the bird forum I'm on usually have family members or friends look after them. You can find a pet sitter as well, though I would want to know the person well before I let a stranger look after any of my pets.

He is BEAUTIFUL i love him :love::love::love:

When I worked at the RSPCA a few years ago they once got an African Grey in. I was walking past his cage going about my business when suddenly he shouted "f**k off" at the top of his voice :shock: Scared the life out of me! He then said "Would you like a cup of tea?" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He is BEAUTIFUL i love him :love::love::love:

When I worked at the RSPCA a few years ago they once got an African Grey in. I was walking past his cage going about my business when suddenly he shouted "f**k off" at the top of his voice :shock: Scared the life out of me! He then said "Would you like a cup of tea?" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen!!

We've looked after a couple of African Greys a couple of times when some friends went on holiday. Apart from the fact that they drove me to tears once with the noise at 6 in the morning :lol::lol:, they were so entertaining :D. They used to chat to each other, could whistle the tune from the Dam Busters and sing Bohemian Rhapsody :D:D

He is beautiful. We love parrots & used to breed Blue & Gold Macaws & Ecectus
Just a slight word of caution re his cage
Some parrots & treys in particular are extremely possessive of their home & will not accept it being cleaned or changed. I would recommend cleaning it gradually & checking that he is accepting it at each stage. Introduce new toys gradually, perhaps away from his cage & then put not his cage etc.
I know of one grey who will not accept any changes to his cage & his owners have to clean one bit a day. It is a nightmare when a perch breaks & he gets so stressed
Having said all that, he ma be absolutely fine. All ours were but we had had them from young & cleaned & changed them regularly
Have fun

Thanks everyone :D He has settled in great! Its like he has always been here :love:

Tomorrow we are hopefully going to get him some more toys :D He loves ripping up newspaper and making alot of mess :lol:

He's beautiful! African greys are extremely intelligent and if you don't keep them entertained they go mad with boredom. Good luck with this little guy, he'll keep you great company!

Back