• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H Nice One!

Bobbin

Warren Scout
Our local P@H organised a rabbit show with the help of a local rescue on Good Friday. Quite a lot of families turned up with their bunnies, and I took along my giant for people to see (though didn't enter her for a prize). It was a good opportunity to have a look at coat, eyes and nails and for the general public bunny lovers to get tips on rabbit care.
Lots of kids went home with Easter egg prizes and rosettes, and those that didn't win got a packet of chocolate buttons.

On Easter Sunday, they organised a rabbit colouring competition.

My P@H is great. They care who they allow to home pets. They recently asked me to home 2 very fluffy bunnies that needed additional care, and I also took in a "very grumpy" doe, who I have since found out is frightened - as she's deaf.

I've spent lots of time with staff in local pet shops, trying to encourage some additional care and information for the bunnies (and other animals) they are selling.

There's some good work going on here.... :wave:"Here" by the way is Pets at Home in Canley Coventry, just off the A45.:):)

That's great news! That is how every P@H should be.

My main problem with P@H is that their adoption centre is basically a 'reduced to clear' zone. They should keep rabbits in until they find homes instead of buying in baby rabbits all the time!

Its nice they are trying but I think they have missed the point that lots of bunnies would find that type of enviroment stressful and they've encouraged jo public to put their buns through the stress of a car ride for a rosette.

Its nice they are trying but I think they have missed the point that lots of bunnies would find that type of enviroment stressful and they've encouraged jo public to put their buns through the stress of a car ride for a rosette.

Yes, but it's no different from people taking rabbits to the vets because they've found an offer on to check them out. All the bunnies got a look over and the owners got advice - there will have been people there who wouldn't generally take their buns to the vet for an "MOT". All bunnies were offered hay and fresh water, together with a lie-down on a cool surface - which was more than their owners got! I'd have killed for a glass of water:lol:

The pet shops aren't going to go away overnight... I've decided that getting involved and offering solutions, is (for me) the best way forward. At least I can see that the bunnies are cared for and go to appropriate homes. Not all pet shops are as receptive to this though - but I've been hammering away at this for some months.

That really is good new. And well done to you too. Did you ask them to do this, I think its wonderful idea, a great way of putting you and other bunny owners in touch with other and the health check is good too. I am really impressed, in fact, when I move, I am going to see if my local shop would do the same thing.

Back