• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected dental for Ruby.

pepperpot

Warren Scout
Ruby wouldn't eat this morning when I went to feed her and was unwilling to come out of the hutch. So....

...it was a visit to the vet, who found her molars needing immediate attention.

I've only had her for a couple of weeks and so her slow eating hasn't particularly worried me as her previous owner said she wasn't a greedy rabbit....maybe alarm bells should have rung then. She's also the bun who has never in her 18months of life has been fed hay.

I've already posted in the health section for ideas on getting her interested in or alternatives to hay. I have been bringing in fresh grass as I don't have a lawn for her to nibble at.

Just sat here worrying about her until I can ring the vet at 3pm for an update :(

Ruby wouldn't eat this morning when I went to feed her and was unwilling to come out of the hutch. So....

...it was a visit to the vet, who found her molars needing immediate attention.

I've only had her for a couple of weeks and so her slow eating hasn't particularly worried me as her previous owner said she wasn't a greedy rabbit....maybe alarm bells should have rung then. She's also the bun who has never in her 18months of life has been fed hay.

I've already posted in the health section for ideas on getting her interested in or alternatives to hay. I have been bringing in fresh grass as I don't have a lawn for her to nibble at.

Just sat here worrying about her until I can ring the vet at 3pm for an update :(

No news is GREAT news, so dont worry.
Her taste for hay will develop.Its possible she hasnt ate it due to her teeth.
Hang on in there.She may have expensive taste for Burns or something!!
What about Fenugreek crunchies?? Theyre great for teeth,and buns love em!!

Ruby is home but not a happy bunny.

She's got Maxolon, Lacto B9 and recovery. she's eaten a tiny bit of raspberry leaf and about 6 SS pellets but nothing else seems to tempt her at all.

Should I syringe the recovery if she won't take it from a dish.......apparently she had some at the vets and it wasn't syringed.
I've brought her into the back porch for the night as she's usually an outdoor bunny but it's still a bit cold in the night up here.

Trust me to have problems on the night the forum goes down!

Anyway, Ruby has eaten overnight and is pooing nicely. She's back outside now but I still would be grateful for suggestions as to what she can eat to grind her teeth down as she absolutley refuses any variety of hay :(

have you tried the herbal mix treats with hay? mabel has loved these after her dental and spay operations, but then she loves her food

Back