• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations

MichelleGsPets

Alpha Buck
I know vaccinating a rabbit is very important but I', scared to vaccinate my three boys because I keep hearing so much about reactions to cylap. Cylap is what my vets use. I emailed them asking and this is what they said about reactions etc.

''They would be given one of each vaccination 2 weeks apart and the cost of the vaccination is 40e each. The vaccination we use for myxomatosis is Nobivac myxo which can cause a small swelling at the site of injection that can last for 1 week. We use Fort Dodge cylap for VHD, possible reactions with this include swelling at injection site, redness and possible hair loss which will resolve after 2-3 weeks without any treatment. These reactions are rare but unfortunately can occur''

What to do? :/
Will I just take the risk?
Can rabbits die from reaction to this?

40e each :shock: not sure of the exchange rate but I just paid £31 for both. Cant comment on rabbits dying from the vacc but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if my buns caught myxi or VHD and I could have prevented it. Fingers crossed I have never had a problem with any of my 5

I would go ahead with the myxi as we're getting into the time of year it's more prevalent and then make a decision about the VHD. I'm not sure how prevelent VHD is in your area.

DO NOT vaccinate with Cylap!!

Ive had the worst most upsetting day ever with my bun!!
Vaccinated him for the 1st time yest with Cylap - i was wary of this from the things ive heard but didnt want him getting VHD. Once home from the vets yest he went straight under couch and stayed there till this morn. Very very unusual hes usually sprinting around living room and very very happy. He just looked so sad :cry:
Got up this morn still under couch so got emergency app at vets. Took his temp- he had a very high temperature and again just looked so sad, also gave him some metacam. Hes been sat in his hutch for hrs today and I just feel sooooo guilty that I did this to him. Bak to vets tomo to see if his temp has returned to normal and that is the last time I will be going to that Vets!! Will find a vet that uses the other safe VHD vaccine.

May is National Vaccination Month (which means discount vaccs) - I'm not sure if that includes Ireland though.

:O I didnt even see the price.. thats going to cost my 240E to do all three of them.. Thats same as there neutering..

I don't have the money for that..

Why don't you ring around and find out what the other vets have to offer and compare prices.

I get my bunnies done even though they live inside.

If a bunny does get either it is a painful death.

This vet is already far enough for me to get a lift with them, the other vets are further away and plus this vet is the best vet around me for ages. They are really good and I thrust them, but I supose rabbits aren't popular here so not uptodate on vaccinations etc.
Plus these have been really well for me and I'll always bring the rabbit to them so these will need to know that they are vaccinated and I don't want to say that I did it in another place, because they have been really good and giving me a discount on things and even did a couple of things for free without saying anything.

I think I may go and do the myxo and then talk about the vhd with them face-to-face. I've just recently bonded the three rabbits together so I have one cage to sell so at least that will cover part of it.

Thanks Tamsin, but that doesnt count here in ireland, pity.

If it comes to it and they won't/can't order in the other injections do you think I should take the risk and go with cylap?

To be honest I have no idea what my bunnies have been vaccinated with. I never asked nor did I know about cylap until I joined RU. I would ask your vet if they could supply an alternative if you are worried. I would not have had problems asking my old vet.

I have never read or heard of a bunny dying from a vaccination.

Good luck.

Thanks Barnyardbunnies, and everyone else too.

Yes I'll ask my vet about it, I have no trouble asking these vets, there all so nice down there, I think I'll just go down and discuss it with them.

I'm still shocked at the price though :O
Do the vaccinations need to be done in the start of the summer or can they be done any time of the year?

Back