• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Almost at the end of my tether!! :(

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
:(

Matilda will NOT stop humping the baby rabbit(4 weeks old), it is constant!!!! i had 3 hours sleep last night!! its constant chasing and mounting alll night!!! the poor baby! trouble is tils is getting quite agressive to the baby when it won't comply! im worried she will hurt it!!

I have had them seperated this morning but the baby seems to want to be with mum and tries to get to mum!

I could seperate them overnight, but so they would still see each other though the pen, but the baby stresses,

is this just spring fever, if so how long will it last?

or will this happen until she is spayed, which is not for like another 7 weekish!!

or is it something I have done wrong:(

it is seriously driving me insain!! I can't take much more of it :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
If she is being aggressive and the baby is at risk then you are going to need to separate earlier than is ideal.

Is there any chance she could be pregnant again?

If she is being aggressive and the baby is at risk then you are going to need to separate earlier than is ideal.

Is there any chance she could be pregnant again?

I've not seen her actually hurt it but she just will not leave the baby alone!

I don't think shes pregnant, I would say no shes not! Smartie ha been neuted and has spent most the time in his cage until the 6 weeks is up! Also I havn't left Matilda and baby free ranging since she had the baby cos the cats would be to interested with the baby! So when ever im not in my room, they have been in the pen

and shes fine with humans, and before she had the baby she was vicous with me! she would bite and lunge at me, and shes fine will come for cuddles etc

she is also very buzzy! She is currently cleaning the baby and herself!

She sounds incredibly hormonal. Give the baby somewhere small it can get into, that Matilda can't, and also give Matilda a space she can get to, that the baby can't.

But, if she carries on, then you will need to split her and the baby up and rebond in due course; once both are spayed/neutered.

Four weeks is VERY young to separate - can you PM anyone else who has had lots of baby experience? (sorry - I know Sky has but I just mean for more input from variety of experiences . . . oh dear that sounds wrong . . . )

Tracy at BARC and Angie 65 have both had lots of babes in the rescues.

The behaviour sounds strange to me.

She sounds incredibly hormonal. Give the baby somewhere small it can get into, that Matilda can't, and also give Matilda a space she can get to, that the baby can't.

But, if she carries on, then you will need to split her and the baby up and rebond in due course; once both are spayed/neutered.

Thats a good idea - the small space!!

But maybe she will hump it if it tries to feed??

Thats a good idea - the small space!!

But maybe she will hump it if it tries to feed??

she seems to let it feed okay! tho baby is mainly eating pellets now! but still gets the odd feed in here and there

Ive also seen when Matilda is humping the baby it flips on its back, and gets a quick feed in :lol::roll:

Four weeks is VERY young to separate - can you PM anyone else who has had lots of baby experience? (sorry - I know Sky has but I just mean for more input from variety of experiences . . . oh dear that sounds wrong . . . )

Just for clarity, I wasn't suggesting splitting now, just if the behaviour progresses. Even if it was now, its not ideal for a variety of reasons, but is it better to separate at four weeks (once the babies gut has made it transition- which it does between 3-4 weeks- and given in the wild they would be kicked out at this age) or leave the baby to be attacked.

Obviously, each day with mum is important, the more the better, but I don't think you can risk the baby being attacked just to try and keep them together to the optimum time.

Last edited:

oo thats a good idea! hmm maybe a box with a gap big enough for baby but to small for tils!

i let matilda have floor time away from the baby, normally when baby is having cuddles! I also feed matilda away from baby as she is quite possesive over her food!:roll:always has been even before baby! i put a little pile of food for baby to eat next to tils bowl! but on the other side of the pen! so they are side by side just behind the metal pen!

Wasn't baby a surprise bun? In which case is it possible could have been pregnant again after giving birth before you found baby in the morning. Just wondering because it was Sky-Os first thought.:wave:

I've handraised my two baby buns from 3 weeks old, with no mum at all and they are fit and healthy babies.. So IF it got to the point where you had to seperate I'm sure the baby would be fine without mum. I've had several litters over the years and never experienced a humpy mum bun :?

Is the humping only at night? Or is it worse at night? Could you maybe seperate them, with one being in a cage or seperated by a pen, so they can see, hear and smell each other without mum being able to hump baby? Then allow them together during the day if mum is being good?

Hi -Angie at BARC is Bunnymadhouse on here:wave: I just foster for them & limited baby experience:D

Back