• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I got my first bun!

Kao

New Kit
FINALLY.
I'm still grinning from ear to ear :D

I've been going on about getting a bun for about a year and a half with the same answer from Mum "When you move out, you can have whatever you want!"
But, I recently lost my lovely girl Squeak (my pony) while staying at OH house. Understandably I was depressed and upset so he took me for a day out to the Japanese Koi Company. Little did I know when he said they stocked everything, he meant EVERYTHING. Every kind of fish, bird, reptile and even micro pigs, and a select few breed specific buns :D

We started looking around at the buns as he knew I'd wanted one for a long time and we found a BEW Mini Lop (my favourite colour) that seemed realy nice and friendly but, budget on that particular day wasn't cut out to b uy anything but that nights dinner D:

Needless to say within two days, the BEW was sold but the day we saw her another one caught my eye. So we went back to see if there were any others that we liked (I liked all of them, but OH is picky :lol:)

I went to the one that caught my eye a few days before and asked to hold him. He instantly snuggled on me and it was pretty much love at first sight.
OH kept asking if I was sure as perfect bun was REW. OH's least favourite colour xD

So!
Perfect bun is now named Yuki (Yoo-Kee) which is Japanese for snow/courage. He's an Ivory Satin and was born on the 20th Feb this year.
He's so tame and friendly, I've decided to have him as a house rabbit as I'm more able to spend 1-to-1 time with him and we have a lot of foxes around here. I had to keep him at OH's house for a day before I came home but he's already settled into my house. Infact, right now he laying flat out snoozing in the sunlight.

I only have one picture at the moment but I will upload some more today :)

Yuki and OH
218137_10150157647483299_790618298_6563494_5686764_n.jpg

FINALLY.
I'm still grinning from ear to ear :D

I've been going on about getting a bun for about a year and a half with the same answer from Mum "When you move out, you can have whatever you want!"
But, I recently lost my lovely girl Squeak (my pony) while staying at OH house. Understandably I was depressed and upset so he took me for a day out to the Japanese Koi Company. Little did I know when he said they stocked everything, he meant EVERYTHING. Every kind of fish, bird, reptile and even micro pigs, and a select few breed specific buns :D

We started looking around at the buns as he knew I'd wanted one for a long time and we found a BEW Mini Lop (my favourite colour) that seemed realy nice and friendly but, budget on that particular day wasn't cut out to b uy anything but that nights dinner D:

Needless to say within two days, the BEW was sold but the day we saw her another one caught my eye. So we went back to see if there were any others that we liked (I liked all of them, but OH is picky :lol:)

I went to the one that caught my eye a few days before and asked to hold him. He instantly snuggled on me and it was pretty much love at first sight.
OH kept asking if I was sure as perfect bun was REW. OH's least favourite colour xD

So!
Perfect bun is now named Yuki (Yoo-Kee) which is Japanese for snow/courage. He's an Ivory Satin and was born on the 20th Feb this year.
He's so tame and friendly, I've decided to have him as a house rabbit as I'm more able to spend 1-to-1 time with him and we have a lot of foxes around here. I had to keep him at OH's house for a day before I came home but he's already settled into my house. Infact, right now he laying flat out snoozing in the sunlight.

I only have one picture at the moment but I will upload some more today :)

Yuki and OH
218137_10150157647483299_790618298_6563494_5686764_n.jpg

looks lovely! a mini version of zoidberg! :love:

Oh Wondeful!! Well done!!!!:wave::wave:
Youve also found us lot, so Welcome to RU!!
Any plans to neuter and find a friend for Yuki??...(she says,slyly!! Its Bunny maths........):D:D:D

Any plans to neuter and find a friend for Yuki??...(she says,slyly!! Its Bunny maths........):D:D:D

Haha i'm sure we're all wondering the same!

Don't forget to take them to the vets as pet shops alwaaaaays seem to sex rabbits wrong! :lol:

She is lovely though!

Congratulations on getting your first bun, and welcome to RU! :wave: this is the place to find out anything you need to know about bunnies :)

Thank you everyone :) I've been lurking on RU for a while so I think I've got enough basic knowledge, I'll definitely ask if I get stuck.

No plans yet to neuter. I don't earn my own money and the only thing Mum will pay for is his vaccs and food/bedding. As much as I want another, that's not possible either, at least till I move out. I'm pushing it just having one D: Mum isn't keen on house-pet's aside from fish so I'm grateful she's let me have Yuki.

Thank you everyone :) I've been lurking on RU for a while so I think I've got enough basic knowledge, I'll definitely ask if I get stuck.

No plans yet to neuter. I don't earn my own money and the only thing Mum will pay for is his vaccs and food/bedding. As much as I want another, that's not possible either, at least till I move out. I'm pushing it just having one D: Mum isn't keen on house-pet's aside from fish so I'm grateful she's let me have Yuki.

The best advice is to save up for the neuter until the hormones get out of control, mainly because they become much better at using their litter tray! :lol: You should get 2 ;) There is nothing like watching two buns snuggle :lol: Bully your Mum :lol:

Hello and welcome! :wave:

I would also say get him neutered, otherwise once the hormones really kick in you may find he started spraying urine to mark territory, and I'm sure you mum would not like that!
As for being on his own, don't worry Pie was a single house bun for almost 2 years. Now she has Oberon but still prefers human company. Just make sure Yuki get a lot of attention and play time and he should be fine :wave:

Thanks Pie :)
It's absolutely not possible for me to get another bun at the moment and he seems to prefer my company.
He's made a habit today of going into his cage to toilet and sleep and explores my room in his non-sleepy time. Handbags are the latest beds it seems!

I'm, hopefully, getting a job soon so should be able to look into getting him neutered. Do you know when is the best time and is there a high risk?

Thanks Pie :)
It's absolutely not possible for me to get another bun at the moment and he seems to prefer my company.
He's made a habit today of going into his cage to toilet and sleep and explores my room in his non-sleepy time. Handbags are the latest beds it seems!

I'm, hopefully, getting a job soon so should be able to look into getting him neutered. Do you know when is the best time and is there a high risk?

very very low risk as long as his breathing is okay :) IMO it is much better to neuter as they dont spend their lives sexually frustrated! I didnt even realise my bunny was hormonal until I realised the difference after neutering, the personality stays the same but they arent being ruled by their hormones anymore.

Some vets will do it as soon as the balls drop, others like to wait till 6 months old or a certain weight. Just remember when the hormonal behaviour starts you need to do it asap so that the behaviour doesnt become ingrained.
eta- you dont want to wait years though as the risk increases for older bunnies.

Oh and when you smell unneutered male bunny smell you'll be marching down to the vets straight away :lol:

very very low risk as long as his breathing is okay :) IMO it is much better to neuter as they dont spend their lives sexually frustrated! I didnt even realise my bunny was hormonal until I realised the difference after neutering, the personality stays the same but they arent being ruled by their hormones anymore.

Some vets will do it as soon as the balls drop, others like to wait till 6 months old or a certain weight. Just remember when the hormonal behaviour starts you need to do it asap so that the behaviour doesnt become ingrained.
eta- you dont want to wait years though as the risk increases for older bunnies.

Oh and when you smell unneutered male bunny smell you'll be marching down to the vets straight away :lol:

I will look into it then o_o There aren't any plans to breed from him I don't think so it sounds like neutering is the best way to go!
The only thing is, I have no clue on sexing buns D: so for all I know he could be a she. I'm dead set on getting vaccs done asap as I want to have a run built in the garden but it's very rural and we have wildies around here frequently so god knows what he could catch :oops:

I'll have a chat with the vet and get some details (prices mainly) and go from there :) Thank you for your help! :D

And thank you Barn Yard Bunnies! :)

I will look into it then o_o There aren't any plans to breed from him I don't think so it sounds like neutering is the best way to go!
The only thing is, I have no clue on sexing buns D: so for all I know he could be a she. I'm dead set on getting vaccs done asap as I want to have a run built in the garden but it's very rural and we have wildies around here frequently so god knows what he could catch :oops:

I'll have a chat with the vet and get some details (prices mainly) and go from there :) Thank you for your help! :D

And thank you Barn Yard Bunnies! :)

A good bunny savvy vet would sex him/her for you pretty quickly, which you can get done with the vaccs! If they struggle you know they won't be very good :lol:

Glad you don't plan on breeding from him, we're not big fans of rabbit breeding around these parts ;) We prefer rescue buns :D

If Yuki is a boy he can be neutered from 4months, and belive me once his hormones kick in you wont have any doubts about it :lol: If Yuki turns out to be a girl the speying age is around 6 months :wave:

As Im sure you know he needs a Myxi Jab every 6 months and VHD yearly, very important if you have wildies :)

I wouldnt worry too much right now about getting a second bun, it is good for them but having enough money to care for them is more important :wave:

Back