• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Busters turned mean U/D I think this bond is totally over

shelley

Mama Doe
Buster has started being really mean all of a sudden. He has been fine with Lola for two weeks but this morning he has viciously attacked her all morning. My OH just txt me saying he’s had to lock Buster in the cage as he is going out for the day and I’m at work and he’s worried Buster is really going to hurt her. He also said that Buster lunged at him and bit him twice! Buster has never laid a paw on anyone, he’s the nicest sweetest bunny ever, why is he being so mean all of a sudden, whats happened to him? He is neutered and has never displayed such behaviour before. I dont understand whats changed :(

Last edited:
Are they very recently bonded? Any recent changes in his accomodation or anything?

If not it might be worth a trip to the vet to check everythings OK, sometimes they can get defensive if theyre not feeling too good :wave:

Sorry for the late reply, i havent been able to get on here for some reason. Yes they are newly bonded and im worried now that i bonded them too quickly. They were in their crate together for 3 days and seemed to be getting on fine so i started letting them out in the kitchen togheter for a little while. Then after about a week and a half i let them have the run of the kitchen. They were bonded in a neutral room in the crate and the kitchen was cleaned with vinegar before they were put in there as Buster was in there alone previously. They have been fine for over 2 weeks (the time they have been together) and they snuggle up together in their bed alot but today Buster has turned on her. I went home for lunch to check Lola over and she is fine but there is fur everywhere and in places she is bald. I let Buster out and she was grunting at him. He licked her head then then sat and ate some hay together. Im not sure whats going on?

She hasn't been spayed, has she? I would suspect this is playing a part because if she has tried to hump him, and he doesn't like it, he will act like that. If she is feeling rough then that may also have an impact.

Did anything different happen overnight or yesterday? Like increasing space anymore or anything?

She hasn't been spayed, has she? I would suspect this is playing a part because if she has tried to hump him, and he doesn't like it, he will act like that. If she is feeling rough then that may also have an impact.

Did anything different happen overnight or yesterday? Like increasing space anymore or anything?

She has been spayed but she does hump Buster, mainly when they are both in the create. No nothing has changed, nothing has happened that i am aware of. Im wondering if they are becoming dominant over certain things. Buster spends more time in the create and Lola tends to sleep under the table in their bed. I have noticed that Lola grunts when i sweep near the bed and things. Is this a possible cause?

She has been spayed but she does hump Buster, mainly when they are both in the create. No nothing has changed, nothing has happened that i am aware of. Im wondering if they are becoming dominant over certain things. Buster spends more time in the create and Lola tends to sleep under the table in their bed. I have noticed that Lola grunts when i sweep near the bed and things. Is this a possible cause?

Ah, ok. Sorry. When was she spayed?

Ah ok.

I'd say probably go right back to basics, take them on a car journey together and then enclose them in a small space again, and start again. Next time, increase the space much slower. Also you'll need to reneutralise too.

Ah ok, i'll get onto it when i get in. I thought i might need to as although they are friendly with each other most of the time they certainly aren't inseperable. If either one was to be taken away i dont think the other would care that much

Well Buster has attacked Lola all day and ive had no choice but to seperate them. Buster lunged and bit through my knuckle whilst i was trying to rescue Lola who was cowering in the back of the create. I think i probably need stiches but i'll see if it stops bleeding then acess it! Ive never felt such a blow, and ive never been bitten by any of my animals like this before be it an accident or not. He seriously meant to do some damage to her and im glad my hand got in the way regardless of the pain! Im way to frightened to put Lola back with him now. The fighting is horrendous and my little boy is now terrified of both of them and cries when i go in the kitchen where they are. Its a case of either getting a rescue to help with the bond (i dont know of any near me though), seperating them and trying to work with them living individually (i really dont have the space for this though and their free ranging will be massively comprimised) or hand Lola back to p@h (worst case scenario) HELP :cry::cry::cry:

Firstly, dont panic. Currently we're guessing what is causing it.

When you put them back together, what did you do?

Secondly, looking at your three options, the most logical one is to ask a rescue and given where you are, you have some very good people nearby, so it may be worth talking to them and seeing if anyone can help.

Well my OH seperated them earlier and Buster was in the cage and Lola was free range in the kitchen. I came home at lunch time and let Buster out of the create, he ran up to Lola and washed her and got in the bed with her so i left him out. This was at 1pm. I got home at 4pm and they were still fine then at about 10 past 4 there was crashing and banging the kitchen and they were attacking each other big time. I got them both into the create and they sat next to each other and were fine for half an hour then it started again. Lola is terrified not to mentioned bald. I tried to pick her up and as i did Buster jumped up and lunged at her/me and ended up hanging from my knuckle. Im frighted to put them together now so Lola is going back into the feplast and Buster in the create. I have no idea what the issue is but it seems that its always Buster starting it and there's no humping going on when it kicks off. He just walks uo to her and attacks her

You separated them, which meant they established their own territoryin that time. Before putting them back together any space should have been neutralised.

I think getting a rescue to do this would be a good start and then carefully following their advice about cementing and solidifying the bond will be key. It may or may not work, but at least you will know that you did everything you could if you do it that way.

I agree i need help from some one experienced, do you know if Crawley Guineapig rescue help with bonds? I know they are on here but i dont want to waste their time if they dont?

Your best bet is to post a thread asking for bonding help and with your location in your title and see if anyone nearby or reachable is able to offer help.

Back