• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arggh! My Does are Bucks

mummyb

Warren Scout
:shock: 6mths months ago i bought 2 female bunnies or so i was told :shock: I had them fully vet checked and they also told me we were the proud owners of two baby girls :) 6mth later after a little scuffle they both had i gave them the once over and see 2 little lumps on each of my girls......I can't believe we have two boys :O Both have been sexed wrong? poor Daisy and Lily - Both have vet's today to double check but that's a waste of time :(

OK i feel silly because it's took me so long to notice but since they are continental rabbit's and rather big to be fighting with.......we've never had to turn them round for a good check. I usually get a 10 second look from both and then they jump back up!

So what now? The poor things have pink everywhere!! On a more serious matter what now? Everything i have read about rabbit's says never keep two males.....even if brothers?
......i presume my insurance would be invalidated because of this?

I really am rather angry and don't really know what to do?
They have had a few scuffles....nothing serious! and have had one fight where Lilly's ear was bitten but it was very little?! Why do they seem happy to live together?

Boy>Boy bonds *CAN* work. They are just more complicated.

Have them both neutered, seperate for 6-8 weeks and attempt a rebond :wave:

You can contact your insurance company and tell them they have been mis-sexed and have them change it i would assume :)

As Graham has said boys can work. Just be greatful you didn't end up with one of each as you would have been in serious trouble now. Best separate and get them neutered as soon as possible and in the meantime you can have a read of other's experiences of bonding boys to get yourself all prepared :wave:

:( my problem is they are both house rabbits.....i really don't have the equipment or space to separate them both. There rabbit area is huge so i suppose i could half that but I would need to have one outside and one inside? which would cause more fights when finally bonding surely? As one will be going into the others space??

don't worry, one of my bunnies was mis-sexed at first, I forgot to change it but my insurance was still valid when I made a claim I just sent vet proof.

I have a group with 3 boys in :) boy-boy can work, just separate them for now and wait 6 weeks after their neuters before even attempting a bond.

You can neutralise the space that one or both rabbits has been in with vinegar and water. I would separate them inside but keep swapping them over so that no space smells just of one bunny. I would still neutralise everything though before you attempt a bond

A lot of people think male-male bonding is actually easier than male-female :) it all comes down to your bunnies and their personalities. If they have lived together happily for 6 months they should rebond when their hormones have died down :wave:

When I tried to bond my pairs it was the boys who got on the best!

_IGP8137-vi.jpg

Sadly the girls didn't so I had to split them back to their pairs.

Just make sure to get them both neutered and allow a few weeks for their hormones to die down. :)

Hey thanks for the advice ;)
Ok back from the vet's and health good, teath perfect, got them weighed :O both just under 1 stone lol i knew they were big....but thats huge!
but they are both boys :O I'm still alittle shocked....more because it's took so long to notice.

the vet reckons we shouldn't worry about neutering them yet? Do to the fact they get on well and don't seem to have any issues?? So that confused me a little. Still not sure what to do.....they are nearly 9mths now!

I can't decide wither to rename them either?! Seems sill changing now as they both know their names but seems even more silly calling them lilly and daisy lol

I think i need more coffee to help me decide :D

Hey thanks for the advice ;)
Ok back from the vet's and health good, teath perfect, got them weighed :O both just under 1 stone lol i knew they were big....but thats huge!
but they are both boys :O I'm still alittle shocked....more because it's took so long to notice.

the vet reckons we shouldn't worry about neutering them yet? Do to the fact they get on well and don't seem to have any issues?? So that confused me a little. Still not sure what to do.....they are nearly 9mths now!

I can't decide wither to rename them either?! Seems sill changing now as they both know their names but seems even more silly calling them lilly and daisy lol

I think i need more coffee to help me decide :D

Is your vet definately bunny savvy?

I ask, as leaving boys, who are sexually mature could end in disaster. If they fight, there could be a LOT of harm caused. Rabbits who fight CAN (not always, but can) kill another.

I'd want them neutered immediately, personally if their testicles are in view.

I would change vets :?

Neuter asap. If they are fine together now, I would be tempted to send them in for neutering together, and let them recover together, so you wouldn't need to rebond from scratch as they will mellow and hormones die down whilst still together.

I agree, neuter asap then there may not be a need to separate at all but once you have a fully fledged fight that could be a different matter :(

Yes deffo more rabbit savvy than the last one! Not sure how savvy she is but she keeps rabbit's herself too. I know she is only saying hold off from neutering as they do not fight, and doesn't seem to want to do it until they do fight??

As for the bonding? She also said that if we do neuter both boys.....to do it at the same time and if we clean the hutch out really well and use vinegar that they may not need to be separated at all??

We have another vet's but it's nearly an hour away and the rabbit's don't really like travelling i don't want to stress them out even more?

Neuter asap. If they are fine together now, I would be tempted to send them in for neutering together, and let them recover together, so you wouldn't need to rebond from scratch as they will mellow and hormones die down whilst still together.

Last edited:
Yes deffo more rabbit savvy than the last one! Not sure how savvy she is but she keeps rabbit's herself too. I know she is only saying hold off from neutering as they do not fight, and doesn't seem to want to do it until they do fight??

As for the bonding? She also said that if we do neuter both boys.....to do it at the same time and if we clean the hutch out really well and use vinegar that they may not need to be separated at all??

We have another vet's but it's nearly an hour away and the rabbit's don't really like travelling i don't want to stress them out even more?

ok not sure what's happening with these posts?!! is this website having trouble?
I know it took a long time to reload but i did not post all these :O
Sorry!!

Last edited:
:lol: Thought you were just repeating yourself! :lol:

Definatley avoid a fight at all costs and with Spring fever and sexual maturity in the air that means NEUTER NOW! I think we have to remember that it's no skin off the vets nose if they have a fight and have to be patched up, separated, rebonded etc so I'd take advise from those with experience and get them done together, get the vet to keep them together and let them recover together. I'm not sure any vinegar washing is necessary, thats to neutralise the territory so neither think it's their home and no-one elses but perhaps it won't do any harm :?

If you wait until they literally do fight it could end up VERY nasty.

Why does your vet to wait until they start biting and wounding eachother? :shock: That's very silly.

Get them in as soon as you can :)

xx

If they are not fighting now then this is the perfect time to get them neutered. You'll be able to keep them together both at the vets and during recovery so wont need to seperate at all or re-bond.

If you wait they will soon end up fighting which means seperation and rebonding and more importantly the risk that they may take a permanent dislike to each other.

I have two male only pairs. Fiver and Crunchie are brothers. I planed to get them neutered together but unfortunately one developed more slowly and I had to seperate them until both could have the op as they started scrapping. It took a lot of patience to get them back together.

My other male pair are unrelated. They were neutered very young and were a lot easier to bond.

haha, still having issue's with the server so if this goes more than once i'm sorry!

After reading your comments i phoned up SSPCA -Rabbit Rehome to see what they said...although they advice all rabbits to be neutered (more for unwanted bunny reasons) she told me that rabbit's are more sexually mature between 6-8 months and if they haven't fought yet...they may be okay without neutering them?! I presume both the vet and the SSPCA lady doesn't want me to wait until the fight that serious they need vet treatment.....they are only saying keep an eye on them and see how they are??

I'm confused even more now, I love my giant's so much and want to do right by them :roll: but i don't know what's best?! Phoned another vet - who's miles away :cry: but i'll see what they say ;)

thanks all

If they are not fighting now then this is the perfect time to get them neutered. You'll be able to keep them together both at the vets and during recovery so wont need to seperate at all or re-bond.

If you wait they will soon end up fighting which means seperation and rebonding and more importantly the risk that they may take a permanent dislike to each other.

I have two male only pairs. Fiver and Crunchie are brothers. I planed to get them neutered together but unfortunately one developed more slowly and I had to seperate them until both could have the op as they started scrapping. It took a lot of patience to get them back together.

My other male pair are unrelated. They were neutered very young and were a lot easier to bond.

This.
I would neuter now.
All it takes is one fight, and they could castrate each other.
This would mean excessive vet bills, potentially surgery, that they may never re-bond (they remember fights) or worse- death due to injuries :(

haha, still having issue's with the server so if this goes more than once i'm sorry!

After reading your comments i phoned up SSPCA -Rabbit Rehome to see what they said...although they advice all rabbits to be neutered (more for unwanted bunny reasons) she told me that rabbit's are more sexually mature between 6-8 months and if they haven't fought yet...they may be okay without neutering them?! I presume both the vet and the SSPCA lady doesn't want me to wait until the fight that serious they need vet treatment.....they are only saying keep an eye on them and see how they are??

I'm confused even more now, I love my giant's so much and want to do right by them :roll: but i don't know what's best?! Phoned another vet - who's miles away :cry: but i'll see what they say ;)

thanks all

I very much disagree with your vet and the SSPCA :(

Sorry but I would get them neutered now, unless there are health problems which prevent a rabbit being spayed or neutered then they should all be done.

You can't keep an eye on them 24 hours a day and fights can get nasty :(

Hope you manage to get through to a vet who can give you some good advice :wave:

Back