• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are flax plants edible/safe for buns and pigs

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Does anyone know I have searched the Internet but can only find out about the seeds.

Since I switch to flax bedding I get loads of flax plants growing in the beds from my homemade compost, they are pretty so that's ok but are they safe to eat :?

Thank you :)

only just seeing this post :oops:
all parts of flax is toxic but most especially the seeds - when in contact with water, they produce hydrogen cyanide so i'd get rid asap

I wouldnt feed the plants to my buns or pigs without knowing it is definitely safe and I don't free range so its not a problem the plants being in the garden they are pretty!:love:

But I'm a bit confused now as the seeds are generally safe and very healthy for people and some animals ie dogs, chickens, cattle unless eaten in large quantities and the stem parts are used in animal bedding ie jopack, equizorb, would they do this if they were toxic?:shock:

http://www.gardenology.org/wiki/Flax

toxins/hazards are usually removed (from most toxic plants) when boiled at high temparatures
i would not eat or feed any part of the flax

Certainly with horses, flax seed needs to be boiled before use, I would suspect it's the same with most mammals.

Back