• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you were buying or recommending a rabbit book...

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
... what would you like to see inside it? (excluding anything deeply medical here- basing it solely on rabbit care).

What do you think books currently have, but shouldn't have? Or don't have, but should have?

The right accommodation and diet. Many recommend muesli and a 3ft hutch :evil: Also buying from rescues. One book said rabbits don't need hay, they're diet should be solely muesli! All of the ones I've read recommend carrot and no other veg, :censored:

A book that explains the alternatives to traditional housing such as sheds, play houses, dog crates etc.

One that explains how much hay they should have, what types to avoid and why its so important.

One that explains neutering/spaying. The advantages, before and aftercare etc.

I've a few bunny books but they all have discrepancies somewhere.

I've a few bunny books but they all have discrepancies somewhere.

*nods* I would imagine they would because no one an factually say that this one thing is best for all rabbits. Obviously there are some glaring errors, ignorance or misinformation in some books, but its down to opinion, which I think makes it even harder.

Including all of the above, I would like to hear more about behaviour.

How to get your rabbit to be as friendly as possible - bitey bunnies are scary and I'd love to know as many tips as possible to avoid my bunnies getting bitey one day!

i reckon as its not easy to put everything in one book to attract a standard pet keeper

so i reckon a selection of small books individuly titled covering a specific area in a lil box set

as for me i find some very confusing

a book covering
the right foods shop bought and in wild,
differant breeds,
differant types of accomidation for inside and out,
health checks what to look for etc plugging the need to neuter
and history of rabbits so 5 little book with illistrations photos etc
and a book of possiable F&Q

this is just me things have to be put in simple terms for me, all in one book i just get bored

Something a little less vague than a lot of them are, even the rwaf leaflets could be taken wrongly as they are very vague. Fo instance the one on feeding says to feed a 'small amount' of pellets. Well to me when I first got Barney, a bowl full was a small amount! He used to get about 100g a day, as reccommended by the packet of food.

And something that gives examples of less 'standard' accommodation, I never even thought of having him permenantly free-range and I'd never heard of sheds being used.

eta- and something that emphasises that pet shops do NOT know best and you often cant get everything you need from one.

and something about dental bunnies, I hadnt heard of them before!

Last edited:
I like the Really Useful Bunny Guide by Carolina James. Having said that, when I was looking on info for pregnancies/false pregnancies, couldn't find all the info I needed but everything else is pretty good I thought

I like the Really Useful Bunny Guide by Carolina James. Having said that, when I was looking on info for pregnancies/false pregnancies, couldn't find all the info I needed but everything else is pretty good I thought

Photos of acceptable housing, both outdoor and indoor.

Explanations of different behaviours and what they mean - eg the fact that a dramatic flop is a happy thing, not some kind of medical emergency!

Mention the pros and cons of neutering

Strongly emphasise the fact that rabbits HIDE symptoms of illness - plus description of possible symptoms with an accurate assessment of how much of an emergency they are. If you'd previously kept cats and/or dogs, you prob wouldn't raise an eyebrow if your rabbit stopped eating for a day, not knowing that in rabbits this can be fatal.

Are you thinking of writing one Tracy? We'll all want a cut of the profits now, if you are ;)

Has anyone read 'The Problem With Rabbits' ? Its quite an old book but a very frank look at how bunnies aren't for everyone.

Has anyone read 'The Problem With Rabbits' ? Its quite an old book but a very frank look at how bunnies aren't for everyone.

Yes I've have this & although some things in it are a little dated its a good book.
I also like the "House Rabbit Handbook' by Marinell Harriman.
I find F H-B's 'Textbook of Rabbit Medicine' great for cross referencing suggestions made on RU.

TBH I don't have one book that I find covers all aspects for bunny parents.
I love researching bunny care & will never stop reading about buns, but I guess the more you know the more you realise you don't know but you are able to be more discerning of your sources.
All my current accommodation ideas are from websites rather than books so thats certainly an area thats lacking.

Lots of pictures!!
I like to see pictures to know what I am looking at, i.e sexing a rabbit, how to pick it up, etc. I find it easier to use than a description of how to do it. I hate it when you are looking for info and there are no piccies on a website/in a book :D Also it means I get to squee over cute bunnies :oops:

Back