• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming

Do you worm your rabbits?

• Total voters

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry if it's been asked before - i have searched but cant find any definitive conclusion.

Basically, do you worm or dont you?

Please explain.

No.

It's one of those grey areas.

Theres no *proven* reason to worm, unless worms are present.

My vets more or less said the same that the treatment and cure are the same and the treatment is effective. He said something like "you wouldnt take antibiotics 'just in case' would you?"

But on Facebook, it's been said that rabbits, by nature, hide their symptoms when they're ill. It's a survival mechanism as in the wild if an animal can sense that a rabbit is ill it was go for that one first as it's the weakest. So therefore by the time we start to notice symptoms it's usually too late to treat them.

The thing is that the research done on Panacur for EC was done on rabbits that were symptomatic and in any event was done on such a small group that the results aren't terribly helpful.

It is thought that using it as a preventative actually reduces effectiveness as the system get's more used to the paste/liquid and therefore the treatment may become less effective.

I agree with your vet about Abx - we don't take them just in case and I feel the same way about worming.

Yes, I read that a wormer would have to be used for seven days immediately prior to having worms to be effective against an infestation. Doesn't seem worth doing regularly. Floppy has been wormed twice when he has had a new partner but I am not going to do any of them again.

Thank you.

I feel better knowing this. I think in the case of rescue buns, i can see why it is best to do it as a preventative measure but your own buns showing no signs is a bit pointless, i'd worry about being able to get it into my 2 as well - i wouldnt want them stressed out unnecessarily.

I don't worm rabbits as a preventative no. Dogs, cats, horses etc seem to be more prone?

I thought EC was a bacteria and not in fact a parasite:?

I don't worm rabbits as a preventative no. Dogs, cats, horses etc seem to be more prone?

I thought EC was a bacteria and not in fact a parasite:?

Nope it's a parasite that travels in the blood and forms a hard shell over itself until the animal's immune system allows it to become active. The hard shell or granuloma is often the problem as they can press on the nerve pathways causing the symptoms.

Nope it's a parasite that travels in the blood and forms a hard shell over itself until the animal's immune system allows it to become active. The hard shell or granuloma is often the problem as they can press on the nerve pathways causing the symptoms.

That explains why Panacure is used to worm horses too:oops::lol:

I voted other...

...Ive wormed Marley & Dolly once after i found out Clarence had worms, so i just wanted to be on the safe side. I would worm any new rabbits that came to me but apart from that, id only worm them if they showed symptoms. :wave:

Charlie was wormed once after Mable died just incase she had anything like EC that may have contributed to her death. While it was unlikely as she seemed to have a stroke, I did it to be on the safe side for him.
Apart from that, no I don't worm them.

Glad this has been posted! Was at the vets this am for the buns vaccs and he asked me if I wanted them wormed, don't think I've ever been asked before! I said no, but wasn't sure if it was a 'new' thing or not, as I've always associated with dogs/cats. Feel better now I've seen this!

P@h wormed both of mine before i took them home and gave me the rest of the treatment to carry on with which i did but i wouldnt do it regularly

Back